Thread: [NTW AAR] Pax Romana - Epic Campaign Story (*RO on Hard)

Burebista's Avatar Electro Artifacts AP

Icon1 [NTW AAR] Pax Romana - Epic Campaign Story (*RO on Hard)

The memories of a nation - Blood and Sand, Dirt, Rain and Cold.

Campaign Notes: This Epic 2 weeks play - campaign story, covers a full play as Romania with both settings on HARD. I should remind you that Romania has only 2 cavalry units and 3 infantry units plus militia. Has all the guns except rockets.

I'm new to NTW and ETW, mainly because I was such a hard core MTW player that I hated ETW. Only Napoleon’s lure made me to buy and try this game. All in all, I must say it’s worth it. I'm also not used to post anything else than mod info, thus I'm not sure if you will find this topic useful or interesting. Still it could save you a few hours of frustrating play if you decide to play a small nation. (*you can use any small mod/file to enable a small nation play).

A small Nation.

Here we go - In 1805 I got in charge of the small nation of Romania. Sandwiched between 3 empires it was a pain in the butt just to think of what to do, also how this nation was able to survive here back walled, was the second thought. The first two things to do were to prepare for the worst and start building up the army and making allies.

Therefore I started building the army barely managing to get few guns and some decent infantry. Soon after the Ottomans declared war and if I would not have managed to ally my self with Austria in time they would have attacked me too once I pushed out. Damn bastards, any close nation has the tendency to stab you in the back. If they think it is easy for them.

The War for Liberation.

The ottomans staged a first attack from their Moldavian client kingdom that was easily expelled. I had to refrain my self not to take that province since if I did then Russia would have attacked me in the future no matter what. By leaving it to the ottomans I left them open for attack. Normally the Russians only attacked the ottomans when I was leading that war… double standard bastard. This descendents of the salvs would not ally with me also – for this I put down an “I owe you” towards Russia.

Anyway I rushed to Belgrade and then in time I returned home to stop the Turkish offensive on my capital. The fort there has come in good use since the few militias and town’s people stopped them true the walls breach. The Turks as son as I moved my main army out they managed to attack with smaller armies also raiding the countryside. After successfully regrouping on the Danube line, I realized almost bankrupt that I had to face 3 Ottoman full armies, roaming free in Bulgaria not counting the troops in Istanbul. Thus I decided to push my way towards Greece and get Athens.

Unfortunately Belgrade was lost in the process. Thus I replenished my forces in Greece, protected Bucharest with the few troops I had there and retaken Belgrade with heavy fighting after a long forced march North.

I then moved back to Buchares,t to tend to my wounds and a bit worried to let Moldavia as Ottoman. Anyway I had to push towards Istanbul and any attempt was quickly thwarted by the Turkish armies. I had to fight twice in two turns and only with one army. A pain as my troops would not replenish forces.

I had to use as usual the old guerilla tactics. Hiding in the woods and luring them out against high or low ground. Finally I got the break. While hiding in Bulgaria I ambushed the Trucks armies sent to retake Greece. Once I’ve dealt with them with minimal losses I when to Istanbul and selected the only hilly ground I could find. The Turks were overconfident and rushed out of to get me. They had good reasons; my infantry was reduced to almost half. The battle was more easy than expected. I was lucky to be able to hide from the trajectory of their cannons. Their flanking attempts were also countered my cavalry thus in the end their infantry coming over the hills and into the line of fire of my guns saved the day. I spent excessive care to kill of the units as I didn’t wanted them retreating in Istanbul.

Battle of Istambul

With the battle over I’ve easly taken Istanbul and the Russians attacked Moldavia and took it… damn bastards how convenient. The Balkans now secured and even if I was allied with Austria I had trade treaties with the French Republic. A time to prosper and grow. I also started to do research and buy research. Building was a nice respite from war and I also had my first port, finally my first ship set sale.

The Italian Campaign.

Even with all the balkans mine, I could not take on the Russians or the Austrians just now, so with no money to bribe my way on the diplomatic stage, in and out of alliances I’ve decided to attack the courtiers without allies and in my armies reach. Thus I moved my sights on the Italian Peninsula except Corsica. I builded a ship and my single army saled the mediteranian sea, landed took Sardinia as a stageing post. Not easy but it worked. Then I attempted to take the Papal States. The Pope kicked my ass as soon as I set foot on the west side. No matter how much skill I deployed in land battles. I was hit by two armies one after another, thus dead. My only option was to go around and land on the east side. I meet no resistance there but no matter where I positioned myself I still got smashed badly as the enemy attacked only from the same height. Faced with this challenge I decided to place my army on the Tiber River and hold the bridge. What a fight… how many load file i did... If only one enemy unit managed to hit my lines in melee I was dead, and I was facing two armies. What I did was to position my guns center to the bridge axe, carefully time and control their fire and also have spikes placed and my infantry on the sides as per the Istanbul battle, even so I could not do it. It was bound for one enemy to kill my guns no matter what. So I’ve moved two of my batteries to the side hidden under some rocks from their guns fire coming over the river. I’ve left them unprotected and the left flank a bit open. Thus any enemy that escaped the bridge crossing decided to rush for them. Thus allowing for a second round of fire from my left flank and also for my cavalry to intercept them in their rush. I could not turn the left flank, not with new units coming over the river. This is how I won and went to assault Rome.

Battle of Rome

It started to rain on my assault; I could not wait and left them to regroup. Thus I found the only high ground and started to pepper them with my guns. Since their guns were left the only guns they had were coming from reinforcements to regroup in the center of the map. They all come in column so I charged them with my cavalry as they were left behind by the infantry’s more rapid movement. They didn’t fall easily as their cavalry charged, but it was too late and I was the only one in the battle with guns. So I made good use of them using my few soldiers remaining to flank with bullets their attempts to rush at my guns. The battle was over and Rome was mine. What a glorious day.

Now with more money I convinced the bigger nations to drop their alliances with Sicily and Naples and took them both.

The Russian Campaign.

I had to decide, to push on France or pay back Russia. I knew that if France was defeated they will all jump me and Russia had all the armies on the western front and managed to get a province from France. My two spies informed me that Russia was now able to heal their troops faster and get supplies and Napoleon was losing the strategic war. I had to do something. I informed the Emperor that I could help so using my privileges as an ally I started to assassinate Allied generals and blow up stuff. It helped to stabilize the front. There wasn’t too much time and I’ve decided to build two more armies and go back to East Europe leaving only a small contingent in Rome but making sure to build up a fort. After going back home I bribed the Russians in breaking their alliances with Austria and Prussia and charged them. It was summer but with all their armies on the western front I was able to push faster in a bold move. I landed all my armies in separate provinces so with one blow I took 3 of their most southern lands and started to affect their money balance. It was not easy and I had rebellions going once I left them but with the front secured and with Napoleon delaying their main armies I was able to do one big push and roll over Russia with 3 armies on 3 main fronts North, Center and South. Is it me or these sounds familiar? And yes I got trapped by the winter but took my chances, hunted by assassins to push. The main concern remained Moscow as it was defended by a high star general and he was retreating towards the town. I was unable to catch up with him and in all future scenarios if he reached Moscow I was dead. The city was too strong and the full winter would have not allowed me to play siege. What to do? I rushed my cavalry towards him in a bold move and he remained to fight, bad move as my main army core come by reinforcements. Even so the Russians were too strong so I had to take the high ground in an impenetrable idle position. Even so their main guns were eating me alive while I moved my troops around so I found out that I can place one single cavalry unit under one hill for their guns to attack that closest unit and leave me alone. Their shells were plowing the hill that was protecting my one cavalry unit.

Once on top of the hill with my southern army I started to aim for their high star general with my guns. It got wounded by still his armies would not budge. I had to rush my cavalry behind them to force them to make the advance and they did. With their general missing wounded, loll after being hit in the chest by a cannon ball, they thought that they can best me and lost their annoying caution. As you can see in the battle photograph they had little chances. At the end I was still surprised how the Russians would not attack such a fortified position. Thus I named the battle the battle of Moscow. Once this done I placed myself on a bridge and the Moscow defense now unable to send two armies was defeated one my one as they rushed to their dead. Their dependence on their guns was their doom as they were firing into the ground cross the river into a hill defending one of my units.

Battle of Moscow

With Russia conquered in their homeland I called for peace and they accepted with a bit of money. Their last province started to collapse on the western front and the fear spread into the central allies’ ranks. Another advantage was that once the peace designed all the remaining Russian armies were teleported over Austria near the German border.

Napolon's Diplomatic Gamble

Napoleon started now to feel confident and soon decided to take on Rome and declare war on me since I was not breaking the alliance with Austria. The Emperor had his own plans and soon he made peace with England, Prussia and Austria only to declare all war on me. They hated me for being an outsider at the big powers table. There was nothing I could do to stop this. I’ve tried kissing every butt but no luck. After some hours I then realized that if I made the Austrian join my war with Spain they will no longer ally with the French that were the Spanish friends. And soon after I bribed them back into war with the French. With the Prussians I could not to the same but once I bribed them in an embargo with the French they will no longer ally with them and eventually they got back to war as Napoleon was not to happy only fighting with the Austrians.

With England I managed to do the same at least they didn’t allied with the French and for the reminder of the war they did nothing.

I was treated with the most disrespect by Napoleon; he amused himself with my troop’s way of saying dayma – Dai ma. Hit them! When they run out of ammunition they always charged and even the Emperor had to step into the fight to win it. He then set free the prisoners (actual historical fact – by Leonard Horvath – Arcolli battle).

Europe's Diplomacy in 1812

The French Campaign

My hatred for Napoleon not accepting peace with me was growing. After I calmed down the Moscow rebellions, I moved my troops to the black sea and prepared to join the fight again. Napoleon’s fleets were waiting for me and I could barely land in Italy before my fleets was annihilated.

The French Navy on the Hunt

I’ve decided then to move to lower France towards Spain. Their cities were placed conveniently close. Don't imagine it was easy. Napoleon constantly sent armies down to cut me off in the northern Italy. Once I penetrated deeper into France he changed tactic and only protected his flanks. I've seen no major army movement until I crossed the Spanish border by foot.

My 3 main and only armies give me the power to overrun, replenish and push in the initial stages. Then Spain started to show their plans. They were moving north and then cutting east attacking my French cities, thus to do a flanking plus encirclement move. The French and Spanish spies were hunting down my generals that I had to keep them hiding like cowards into the woods to avoid them being killed.

Hunted Generals (*in the woods)

I almost lost the push to Madrid and I had to hide and take their armies one by one. They were keep getting back from France as they were originally planned to cut me off. I really had to slow them down and sabotage their armies and allow me enough time to aim for their capital. Disrupting their movement strategy and hiding was the key.

Conquest of Madrid

This way with a final rush and battle, I conquered the Madrid and soon the other Iberian province. Now I forced Spain into exile and shame.

Spanish Exile

In this time Napoleon was stuck with his plans and old hatreds towards Austria and Prussia, didn’t moved a muscle all this time. Or maybe he did what he could at the time, he got Berlin and was pushing hard especially that the British were at peace with him. I had to send my spies to slow his armies down. Still, he knew the poor strength of my armies, it was also rumored that he disregarded my Russian campaigns prestige, claiming he indirectly helped me. Full of rage and disregard, he was mainly depending on the Spanish army and his French cities defenses to face me. This was his mistake in underestimating me. Soon, I was at the gates of Paris and with heavy fighting I managed to keep it and also deal with the painful rebellions. Jumping from one group of rebels to another before they could move.

Battle Order Paris

I then coordinated with the Austrians and decided to close the southern part of the front in a pincer movement. There I had encountered the Emperor rushing back into France. To my enormous satisfaction he turned tail and run - typical I must say. But to see his elite troops on the run in front of my peasant line infantry was a blessing.

Finally my valor was recognized by Napoleon

We then decided to make peace and give him the Prussian possessions he had. Including Berlin. It’s possible that the Emperor successes against the Austrians and the Prussians made him overconfident and to see with disregard my poor armies. I had to make peace, there was no other way since I wanted him to keep fight the Prussians. Building more armies I then turned on the Austrians. I should mention that to please them once I give them a northern russian province.

Prussian and Austrian Campaigns and Napoleon's exile.

The Austrians were well prepared clustering next to their cities. I had to fight hard and rush into the defense of my homeland. Prague was the most difficult one and after outmaneuvering them they lost all provinces and I’ve forced / bribed them into exile in the northern Russian winter.

Austrian gulag

After seeing how I’ve dealt with the Austrians, Napoleon and Spain decided to declare war. It was too late, I’ve bribed Spain and conquered the remaining French lands pushing them into exile on Corsica. Napoleon was now a Corsican emperor – he deserved it.

Elba vs Crosica

I’ve also managed to capture in battle 3, 122 guns ships. Damn it was hard. Only the hulk remained, no masts and they were peppered by small fire. Only then I could board them (separate battles). I should mention that Paris didn’t fell until the end of the victory time so I had to press continue. At this point all the remaining countries were declaring war from time to time and I had to bribe their silence.

Prussia knew what was coming and they were well prepared. Their power was concentrated and only counter attacked wisely. Several time I had to buy my peace before they got the cities they were attacking. They had more armies spread around than I did. The final full major battle was given with like two massive armies. I won and force Prussia into the Dazing exile. But what a battle – check the order of battle for yourself.

The Battle of all Battles

Denmark declared war and had to be son punished. Only then I invaded Britain as my armada was divided and sthe sips ready one by one. Poor british, they still had my old military access treaty in place. They lost badly but the London rebellions made me loose two full armies. They had a way to attack London one after another and with two rebellions while I was fighting all over the Britain map and it was difficult. Plus my 3 continental armies were busy keeping the Prussians and their Austrian Friends into exile. They had a tendency to push out while I was in a war.

Invasion of Britain

Britain signed a peace treaty and remained exiled in Ireland. I then decided to go back to Rome and crown myself as Emperor and Caesar of Europe true son of Rome. Claiming this legacy has calmed down Europe tired after so much war. I had to dismantle armies since I was losing money such demanding was the war effort.

Succesful Invasion

Pax Romana once again enveloped Europe and I could now rest and think of visiting the American colonies. I've decided to keep most of the nations as pets, exiled from their lands into the russian winter or small islands. I now use them to train my soldiers whenever I please. They will fight me or die when I say so.

Pax Romana - Master of Europe

(*remaining enemies in red).

The End.

Useful Battlefield and Campaign Tips:

- Hide your generals in woods when enemy spies are around.
    - Remember the formations I used if you have poor troops.
    - Your guns are the key to an easy victory. Always protect them.
    - Divide and Impera on the diplomatic arena. All bribe expenses are justified.
    - When you can get you allies join you against your main foe make them join you against your rival's allies.
    - Use to buy trade embargos. They move the diplomacy in the direction you wish and they are much cheaper to obtain.
    - When the enemy is defensive in battle have him aim his guns against one of your troops hidden behind a hill.
    - Always deal with the enemy cavalry first. Lure them out.
    - Protect your flanks with spikes and cavalry reserves.
    - Protect your general. I’ve seen battles when the battle was won and the final enemy one cavalry unit charge killed him.
    - Concentrate fire and rarely move position. Make the enemy come to you, lure him out.
    - If you charge, do it with all your troops. Mine were a poor match in melee even for a quota of enemy units.
    - Bullets are the same for Elite troops that for Line infantry. If you fight with bullets ground position and maneuvers will win the day.
    - The cannons will always stop the enemy mad charges. Your flanks will then finish them off in volleys if they are protected.
    - On river crossing always expect a few enemy units to go true the river and charge you from behind.
    - If your army is decimated use the remaining troops to flank enemy pushes towards your guns. They will stop to deal with you late and by then it will be too late. Guns will get their attention faster that few of your soldiers.
    - Enemy guns in woods are hard to kill if not by a direct charge.
    - Enemy forts are a pain in the butt. I prefer to calculate and overrun.
    - You can lure retreating enemy armies to still fight by attacking them with your cavalry and in battle waiting for the rest of the army to join.
    - Maneuvers and position can win you the day but a rock wall will not.
    - Cities and buildings are a trap for poor quality units. Use cities to funnel enemy moved towards your guns and protect yourself from his guns.
    - You can be the king of the hill and fire over the heads f your defending troops in the valley below or hide your guns in a valley and kill off enemy units going over the top of the hill to attack you. There is no shame in this fox hole strategy as long as you are protected from his guns.
    - Always keep a small compacted line of troops with stretched regiments overlapped. They will better protect your guns, better fight in melee and have more volleys. That is as long as you are protected from enemy guns.
    - Micromanage your artillery. Hold their fire until the last moment. Pressing hold will not stop them from reloading and changing ammo also does not add a second reload time.
    - Use your spies to favor your proffered nation and turn the tide back to a stalemate. Sabotage and kill. Keep the big boys fighting and balanced until you can grow.
    - Always run for the cities and then buy a truce. This will remove the enemy armies from all your lands and put them back into a more manage able position. By the time the entire planets hates you, it will be to late... if you are carefull.
    - A military alliance will always make a nation love you over time. Until you go against their interests.
    - Keep an eye on diplomacy, and save your game. You never know when your long lasting allies are no longer allied with you.

And this is all.
    Take care.
    Last edited by Burebista; March 26, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
    Modding Arts Inc.

SS City Reinforcement Script - (*SS 6.2 any mod comptible)

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Pax Romana - Epic Campaign Story (*playing Romania on Hard)

Nice AAR
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

Senator

You playing multiplayer campaign?

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ciisar View Post
    You playing multiplayer campaign?
    I don't know what MP campaign you have, but no one I know of can play Romania in theirs
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

Roloc's Avatar Biarchus

That battle of yours must have been truly epic

Quote Originally Posted by Chyeaaaa111 View Post
    I don't know what MP campaign you have, but no one I know of can play Romania in theirs
    It is easy if you use any mod file.Those ones that enable all factions mod play.
    Roloc yes. The campaign was quite epic and hard. Its not easy to fight the republican guard with line infantry
    Ciisar - SP
    Modding Arts Inc.

Btw - can we get this moved to AAR? Thanks.
    Modding Arts Inc.

Full spectrum of romanian units attached. (one russian, one otoman and one french bonus. Same colors as main romanian army).
    Put the file in your data folder and it will work if you have romania enabled in campaign.
    Can we also move this to AAR moderator? thanks.
    Modding Arts Inc.