Thread: Hussar arnament?

Default Hussar arnament?

Hi all,

I was just looking through a lot of Napoleonic pictures and I couldn't help notice how hussars were regularly depicted carrying either pistols or carbines - particularly French and Russian ones.

My question is this: Would it not be more historically accurate to give hussars firearms? And in that case which? (pistols-carbines), also did any nation of this period have a particular tendency to issue firearms to its' hussars?

Sorry for all the words but I would really like to know someone elses thoughts on this.

Have a nice day,

Default Re: Hussar arnament?

Most Cavalry carried two horse pistols attached to their saddles in addition to any other armaments.

The game doesn’t depict pistols and they were not often used in melee, but they were there.

Gunodd's Avatar Semisalis

I think it was Charles XII of Sweden that had his cavalry fire their pistols when charging, right before smashing into the enemy and then engaging in melee.

It is not dumb and it would give them a heck of a kick.

But it is not easy to do either. When riding at a full gallop it is bad enough using only one hand on the reins. When you are juggling a pistol and a sword it is hairy. The pistol is just a noise maker and if you aim you likely move your horse, which should already be shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the unit. Not to mention you have ranks behind you.

End the end the pistols were used on routers if they got used at all.

I am sure you can see why.

I agree, it must be very difficult to fire a weapon in galop.

So I will leave my hussars with just swords.