Thread: Not enough battle maps...

Default Not enough battle maps...

You would think with the small amount of time it takes to put together a battle map, that TWN would have shipped with more useable in Multiplayer. I have played only 5-7 days and I am already wanting more. Even Waterloo is losing its fascination.

I want to make more maps for the community. How? I used to do it for TW Medieval, Medieval II, Rome, but didn't get around to doing it for Empire.

The number of tactical problems and situations simply hasn't even been touched my the 16 or so maps available in Multi.

Default Re: Not enough battle maps...

I agree totally, i have always been amazed and annoyed at how few battle maps are included in the game for both single and multiplayer. I certainly expected more for NTW considering how people kept asking for more in ETW - Theres no excuse for it!!

I miss old Finland - although sloping from one team to the other, it was full of landscape features and made the play interesting - even for team starting downhill.

My observations about new MP maps:

Homestead and Syrian ridge are not bad, but kind of generic - not much difference between right and left side of map, these maps may be fair, but too plain. Also it sort of disappoints me that CA just copy pasted these maps into NTW with perhaps some more tree models added

edit: New Austrian Pinnacles - although basiclly the same, some features seem different with better accessability, still being a maze of cliffs, also the ridge is not as steep as in ETW. It is also a winter map now. It plays fairly well. this one seems more interresting than prussian hills in my opinion.

Not commenting the necessary Flatlands, as I do not usually go there (bores me to death) - what I hear it is better in NTW now slightly regarding overal feel, also it is not a simple plain I hear, but features some mild terrain waves.

Prussian hills - not bad, simple ridge through the center of map - gameplay and tactics are same left/right side, I call it lowland pinnacles.

Italian Grassland - this is in my opinion a good one - sort of how Homestead should have been designed. Fair placing of high ground in the center, some bottle-necks here and there, but not necessary to go there if you want to advance, some hills to avoid cannonbals, large plains that can be arty controlled.. structures here and there to make that last stand for battered line... this map is fun, and fair too.

Borodino, Dresden, Lodi, Arcole - these maps have good potential to be quite interresting, however, I have feeling that all of these (Arcole the most) maps punish initiative and advance too much. they offer interesting defensive features and bottle-necks too easily usually right at the army spawn place. Get enough arty and just camp-kill the advancing army crossing streams, bridges.. I like having some side bridges as back-door easily guarded, but having no choice when advancing but to go through such bottle is just bad - a general would never attack through such terrain in real battle. At least one with some sense.

Ligny - suffers same problems as above mentioned maps, but somehow feels better - both teams have large hill at spawn area, but also some valleys, forests, some structures... also there are some structures near some river-crossings, the streams are guite narrow, so covering the forces crossing is possible. Also, both large hills give fair chance to both teams to start long range arty exchange immediatelly no movin needed, so .. they both sort of camp kill each other, which at least is fair

Aosta Valley is very interresting map with several valleys divided by cliffs, some forrests, also a garrisonable village in center. With rules limiting indirect-shooting artillery this one is really cool. Annoying is the rain bug - when hosting and settings on dry weather it sometimes still rains.

Arid cliffs is very good one maybe too demanding on fatique - a huge mountain with several ways to access it in the center. perhaps also some structures halfway to the top would make it less generic.

Savoy Hilltop - 1on1 it is really cool, do not know how it looks and plays with larger teams.

Pyramids, seems to be an acceptable variant of flatlands with some low hills and heat-desert penalty for european armies. Long arty exchanges here.

Watterloo has great potential wasted by fact it is actually one big bottle neck - the team starting on the hill has in my opinion an unfair advantage - almost undestructible structures, cliffs narrowing access on both sides. This map would be perfect if the game area was wider and allowed other directions to attack then just center. One good feature are fairly deep (almost trench-like) sunken paths leading through the plain up to the ranches and ridge itself. Stil this one was wasted.

Do not play the amazon maps.

And Yes: give us more diverse maps - more maps, more maps
    Last edited by Hans Schormmer; March 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Amazon Confluence has one use, and that is to slaughter thousands of AI men as they headlong charge into a wall of lead and bayonets, other than that, dont play it, campiest map ever created...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

lawlbear's Avatar Laetus

you guys are unbelievable -.-
    do you honestly even play the other maps?
    i always find my self playing grassy flatlands since its a balanced map and i only play mp
    playing against AI is just stupid.

Because grassy flatlands offers no manouvering challenge, is joy for rifle spammers, is plain boring as hell, etc...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Shiloh's Avatar Senator

I posted this in the mod proposals sections more than a week ago and thought it would be great if ALL maps could somehow be unlocked. I was asking for this feature on single-player custom but perhaps it could be done for multiplayer too.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=339081
    www.totalgettysburg.com
    Take an in-depth look at the Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War. This site is dedicated to education and the conservation of Civil War battlefields.

www.youtube.com/twbattles
    View Total War battle commentary videos on an epic scale.

I still wait for map that has different parts, with different approach needed, a map that is fair, but not necessarilly symetric. Make half of Ligny map a plain with good advance access with some structures, mild hills and forests and without omnipresent streams and leave the other half be as it is with large hills facing each other accros the stream and the map is perfect!

One solution would be to change the oriental maps modifying the trees, the grass for example to make them usable for european battles.

I would like to see a a DLC or patch with a batch of new battlemaps.

a map editor CA please!

[QUOTE=Hans Schormmer;6970892]I miss old Finland - although sloping from one team to the other, it was full of landscape features and made the play interesting - even for team starting downhill.

Watterloo has great potential wasted by fact it is actually one big bottle neck - the team starting on the hill has in my opinion an unfair advantage - almost undestructible structures, cliffs narrowing access on both sides. This map would be perfect if the game area was wider and allowed other directions to attack then just center. One good feature are fairly deep (almost trench-like) sunken paths leading through the plain up to the ranches and ridge itself. Stil this one was wasted.

******************************************************************************

I believe this is the reason Wellington choose to stand his ground here.

But the buildings must have the ability to be destroyed by artillery.