Thread: Dystroyer.....MP woes

Thehouse1's Avatar Libertus

Default Dystroyer.....MP woes

I don't have an issue with defending but when i am forced to attack i'm clueless on how to approach it what are your strategys for attacking your army make up and formations?

Freom a suxor attacker
    -thanks

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Dystroyer.....MP woes

focus on attacking weak points and this is where knowledge of the game becomes really handy
    if u have less skirmishers or line, dont take them on head on. flank, fire and retreat etc. but if u just go head on with him having better firepower and the first shot theres no way ure gonna win

Default Re: Dystroyer.....MP woes

Standard Tactic: I have found that many players online are indecisive-they are unwilling to commit to an attack just in case they get caught with their pants down. So what I like to do is achieve local numerical superiority (at a weak point like AussieDigger said), usually on a flank, by engaging a different part of the 'enemy' line with light infantry, backed by a token force of line and cavalry. I would say that when attacking, it is critical to keep all your units supported to discourage a counterattack. As in, don't send you light infantry away without at least infantry support. Don't leave artillery too far away from at least cavalry support (I like dragoons for this). Additionally, I like use 2 Hussars early in the battle as a kind of quick reaction force, generally to disrupt the other player's unit placement, to slow him down so I can head him off. I have also noticed that artillery fire does not have to be deadly to be effective. I believe that "under artillery fire" is a morale penalty for units in the game, but I think there is also a significant psychological effect on the human player as well. People don't like seeing bursting shells around their infantry, or have their cavalry bowled over from halfway across the map. So by just using artillery, you can force your opponent to make mistakes, or focus too hard on taking out your artillery by committing too many units on that single task (allowing you to overwhelm him somewhere else).

General army makeup: I don't like to take more than 4 light infantry, and I prefer their numbers over the price and range of rifles/skirmishers. Personally, I like to use Light Infantry as a distraction, or to pin a unit while I bring up line infantry and/or cav to deal the death blow. I feel that bringing more than 4 takes away too much strength and flexibility from my army, manly because it forces me to commit all of my line infantry in one place (since there would be less of them). I also like to bring 5-6 cav. 4 Hussars and/or Lancers, and 1-2 Heavies. I bring no less than 6 line, usually 7-8, one horse arty, and one howitzer.

Formations: I like many of the new maps like Italian Grassland and Lodi because it forces people to break up the monotonous formations of Empire: the long Rifle chain, backed by the long line chain, flanked by two units of cav on either side, and Artillery behind a stake fortress. That is basically all I saw on Empire (and still see on Grassy Flatlands). As a general rule, I would say have a designated "main" force of infantry and heavy cav, and a smaller mobile force used to react quickly or force an engagement. I like to group my cav into three groups of "roving, offensive", "quick response/support", and reserve. I have found that having reserve cavalry during an attack can be very, very helpful. Other than that, all I can say is adjust your formations to the situation. But whatever you do, do not hinder yourself with the long line and single force.

Hope some of this helped or helps. By no means do I consider myself a NTW power player, heck I have only played 7 games in Nappy. But I have been fairly successful using a kind of "divide and conquer" offense (I am 6-1, on the loss my ally let me down ). I would suggest watching some of Synoptic's vids if you want advice on attacking, he gives some very useful info that I try to implement as well when I play.