Thread: Proposal for a Real Starting Mod

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Default Proposal for a Real Starting Mod

Im just wondering:

1: If its possible?
    2: If someone could easily do it?
    3: Has it already been done?

If there is a mod that simply makes all the starting armies and navies correct to history...

E.g. I dont know the exact number... But Im sure the Royal Britanic Navy was more than like 8 ships strong in 1805.... Also Im sure their army had more than 16 or so Regiments..

And of course in 1805 (correct me if im wrong lol) wasnt Napoleon still accumulating the Grand Armee in Normandy for an English invasion.... And didnt this army number around 300000 troops meaning something like 300 regiments give or take?

Im sure all the other countries armies and navys are wrong too....

I dont know anything about modding but wouldnt it be quite easy to add starting units?

Default Re: Proposal for a Real Starting Mod

Anyone? Or could someone tell me how to simply add starting units?

Im sure some history junkies would love this type of mod... To actually command the correct amount of Regiments/Ships etc... (although not quote the correct size sadly lol 160 men is a swollen company let alone a whole Regiment)

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Total War was always about being in the shoes of great factions and changing what happened. Why you'd want it historically accurate to every point is beyong me, you'd be better off watching a few documentries.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

I agree... But from the very first turn history is going to be different... I just dont see why they just "guess" the military powers of the countries at the time... It would be better if it was as perfect as possible up to the point... But from turn 1 onwards in your hands... Your not in their shoes at all cause its wrong lol.

So lol im assuming since no one is posting that this hasnt been done?

I don't know if I get it right but I see you mentioning that armies doesn't have the correct number of regiments and that regiments have a few troops(160)... This is a game right? Its not a historical simulation. If it was, there would be less fun since we know what really happened.

The fact that CA decided to have 160 men per regiment is probably beacause its bearable for today's computers. Real armies of that time,even the smallest, had a few thousands of men. This would probably cause poor performance.

I think I say the obvious but thats how I got the OP.

I agree, the start position is a bit silly and bears no representation of the situation in 1805.

Obviously we cant create a like for like OOB as the games level of abstraction makes that impossible but we can make it much more interesting.

My proposal:

France:
    - Five or six 1/3rd full balanced stacks (Army Corps) waiting on Northern French coast (led by historical Corps commanders) plus Napoleon with a handful of Guard/elite units - This is the Grand Armee

- Massena in Northern Italy with a half stack - representing French forces in Italy

- A decent French fleet in Port (Will be impossible to make AI Spain cooperate so it will need to be strong to give Nelson a good fight) - perhaps half a stack of third rates plus a couple of firsts?

Austria:

- Full Stack in South-West of Vienna or near Venice

- Half stack in Vienna

- Full stack In Bavaria (Ferdinand)

Russia

- Kutusov with Full stack just approaching Saxony

- Another full stack in Russia

Prussia

- Full stack perhaps with experience chevrons

GB

- Small army outside London - lots of militia perhaps?
    - Contrated SOL under Nelson - can be same size as main French fleet perhaps with better experience
    - Two or three blockading squadrons

I think this would give the best balanced/realism camapign start, as the French you can chance your fleet taking on a better experienced RN and perhaps push ahead with invading GB or head East and attack the assembling Austrain/Russian forces before they threaten your position in Germany. Basically the same choices Napoleon faced in 1805.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Anyone? Or could someone tell me how to simply add starting units?
    This is the problem. It's not simple

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Ask one of the Startpos people to give you a more thorough description, but I do know that adding starting units is very, very hard. And buggy.
    Changing starting units is relatively simple I hear (but time consuming.) Adding new ones is a whole different story.

Admittedly, I would love to have a more realistic starting set-up.

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

I don't know if I get it right but I see you mentioning that armies doesn't have the correct number of regiments and that regiments have a few troops(160)... This is a game right? Its not a historical simulation. If it was, there would be less fun since we know what really happened.

The fact that CA decided to have 160 men per regiment is probably beacause its bearable for today's computers. Real armies of that time,even the smallest, had a few thousands of men. This would probably cause poor performance.

I think I say the obvious but thats how I got the OP.
    Um... I very much know about the correct size of regiments at the time... But of course it would be silly to want each unit to be 1000+ strong... However they could have the correct number of regiments (eg around 300 ish for the grand armee give or take) even though those regiments will only be 160 strong...

And I know like wow that many units at the start lol... But think of it this way... If every other nation was represented correctly also it would be that bad... And you would just have massive epic battles etc as all nations would have many stacks like they did in real life... So it wouldnt be totally unbalanced...

But even if the armies are left alone... The navies would make much more sense since one unit equals one ship...

This is the problem. It's not simple
    Ahh thanks Alpaca... Sucks... Oh well... hey are you APETI looking at NTW?

300 regiments eh? might wanna ask those startpos editors how to make Mr. Moneybags a protectorate from the getgo. Or perhaps you can model no shoes/bullets in game. hmm...

yeah well a few things would be balanced of course... But Im also sure England made more than 1200gold per turn at the time too lol.

Well it's really hard to do the the you said it require lots of skill and patient