Thread: Request: Dismount All Cavalry Mod

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon3 Request: Dismount All Cavalry Mod

Hi,

I've noticed some large mod developers sometimes include a feature whereby all cavalrymen (including a General) can dismount from their horses.

Is it possible (and would a friendly mod-maker out there care to tackle) to create a stand-alone mod that would add this characteristic to all cavalry units ingame, without altering anything else?

All I have to offer is +rep.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Request: Dismount All Cavalry Mod

bump

klesh's Avatar Senator

If it is relatively simple, I would be willing to do it. If some kind modder might explain (or point a brother in the right direction) I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Sure it's cool and all, but what would you accomplish by dismounting a group of Hussars? Ability to scale walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Aklis View Post
    Sure it's cool and all, but what would you accomplish by dismounting a group of Hussars? Ability to scale walls?
    Exactly what he means , i think. Not only, but you can also use them inside fortifications when in defense.
    Or send them in dismounted melee against square . I think it is a great idea and it would add realism. Why a man couldn't dismount his horse?

Quote Originally Posted by 01boduke View Post
    Exactly what he means , i think. Not only, but you can also use them inside fortifications when in defense.
    Or send them in dismounted melee against square . I think it is a great idea and it would add realism. Why a man couldn't dismount his horse?
    A dismounted hussar wouldn't be of much use. A "regiment" of line infantry would easily kill a group of dismounted hussars. Open fire, half of them down, stab the rest down with bayonets. Maybe they could have a bonus for fighting inside buildings, but, it would be a completely pointless thing to do. So, yeah, anyone dismounting their cavalry would pretty much just order them to impale themselves upon the enemy's bayonets.

Maybe they'd get a slight bonus in melee against troops without bayonet, but, when you're fighting troops without bayonet, why the hell would you dismount in the first place?

Sure, it'd be a cool addition to the game, but it would serve no practical purpose.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Aklis View Post
    A dismounted hussar wouldn't be of much use. A "regiment" of line infantry would easily kill a group of dismounted hussars. Open fire, half of them down, stab the rest down with bayonets. Maybe they could have a bonus for fighting inside buildings, but, it would be a completely pointless thing to do. So, yeah, anyone dismounting their cavalry would pretty much just order them to impale themselves upon the enemy's bayonets.

Maybe they'd get a slight bonus in melee against troops without bayonet, but, when you're fighting troops without bayonet, why the hell would you dismount in the first place?

Sure, it'd be a cool addition to the game, but it would serve no practical purpose.
    The main reason for allowing all cavalry to dismount comes when your enemy garrisons in a building and your cavalry troop is the only unit you have -- either as a quick response unit or part of an expeditionary force or the remains of your once great army.

It is also VERY useful if you are fighting against artillery and want to protect expensive horse units or your general!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

klesh's Avatar Senator

^ What he said. Plus, its just cool. Again, if its simply changing a row of data in the pfm from false to true (the can_dismount column or somesuch), then I'd be willing to have a crack at it.

Quote Originally Posted by klesh View Post
    ^ What he said. Plus, its just cool. Again, if its simply changing a row of data in the pfm from false to true (the can_dismount column or somesuch), then I'd be willing to have a crack at it.
    Yes, it's that simple but you'll also want to give them a dismounted rank and file spacing -- these columns may even be labeled in the editors now.

It'd be cool to have units that didn't already have carbines do the officer's whip out the pistol animation and fire a shot that way (maybe do that a couple times, but I'm not sure if they would carry more than one pistol if any ) and give them a big bonus in melee since they ought to be pretty decent with their swords.

CerealGuy's Avatar Centenarius

i would do it but when ever i made a mod it never EVER loads
    CerealGuy/Friday before

what do tigers dream of?

Here you go.

Just a note that it doesn't really work for lancers: there's no dismounted lance animations, and you can't give them swords for dismounted action without taking their lances away when they're mounted, too. Also, their charge values don't change when dismounted, so they look like a bunch of kung fu experts when they barrel into an enemy.

If it's just about the ones with carbines in game being able to give a hand with wall defence, etc., you might want to try Reductio, a minimal-changes mod, which includes that as one of its change items: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=343994.

Anyway, standard drill for the install, the request.pack file goes in your .../napoleon total war/data directory, and the users.scripts goes in your ../The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/scripts directory. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Here you go.

Just a note that it doesn't really work for lancers: there's no dismounted lance animations, and you can't give them swords for dismounted action without taking their lances away when they're mounted, too. Also, their charge values don't change when dismounted, so they look like a bunch of kung fu experts when they barrel into an enemy.

If it's just about the ones with carbines in game being able to give a hand with wall defence, etc., you might want to try Reductio, a minimal-changes mod, which includes that as one of its change items: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=343994.

Anyway, standard drill for the install, the request.pack file goes in your .../napoleon total war/data directory, and the users.scripts goes in your ../The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/scripts directory. Cheers.
    Great work and a perfect response! +rep!

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    It is also VERY useful if you are fighting against artillery and want to protect expensive horse units or your general!
    Right with you there. I just lost one of my best, non respawning generals in a fight I was winning by a wide margin just because one of the few enemy artillery batteries still in action scored a lucky hit. Cavalry are so increadibly easy to kill with just one shot.