Thread: Lack of naval retreat...

Nex Sui's Avatar Libertus

Icon4 Lack of naval retreat...

Experienced the other day that I could only select retreat once, but unlike in ETW, I was unable to enter battle and withdraw, this caused me to lose ships to a far superior fleet that I could not fight, is this something they've added to happen every time or is it just random that I was unable to withdraw??

Default Re: Lack of naval retreat...

It has always been, that if you retreat and are caught, you are unable to withdraw from the field.

I have not fought any naval battles in NTW yet. Not from lack of trying mind you, but if it works the same as ETW, when faced with that situation, you should save, then go to the options panel by hitting escape.

Set the battle to the shortest time limit and try to run out the clock while avoiding combat. You can also reset the battle difficulties at the same time.

The way you describe the situation though makes it sound like you were intercepted. If that were the case, then you were hosed no matter what.

Nex Sui's Avatar Libertus

Wasn't intercepted, but stalked, and thanks to CA the range of which ships retreat the enemy had no problems catching up to me again.

Wish I could catch up to them. I always seem just a bit short.

Your ships can only retreat a certain distance automatically. This is because retreating is a move done in your opponent's turn, after the move you made in yours. If your opponent was close enough to you that he has enough move left, he can catch you.

The thing is, ships don't get faster just cause they're in danger. The shorter retreat makes the game more realistic, and allows for strategic use of ships to blockade areas like the English channel, just like the British often did in wartime. It's meant to stop players putting to sea with inferior fleets because they could be caught and destroyed by the enemy. This happened many times in Napoleon's time (for example leading up to Trafalgar), and even during the First World War where Germany's High Seas fleet put to sea only very briefly about twice during a four year conflict. If this DIDN'T happen the naval advantage Britain and Spain rely on would be completely nullified, along with any chance of strategic realism.

Also the sailing distance is affected by the type of ship, the admiral and the research you've obtained, but for the rest I think smokey_MK2 said it all.

Many times (vs ai & human) I put my fleet right outside their viewing range and end turn so next turn i can attack them without using much of my movement speed so that if they retreat that i can catch up and destroy them =D