Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Scipio/Vetus

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Scipio/Vetus

'IF they did, and even then we would be aware of it and know exactly what we face while we fight Macedon back off our lands. I understand your hatred of Carthage as im sure every true roman does but do not let it cloud your vision! Macedon is the true threat right now, while Carthage is not even a nuisance at the moment and we must deal with the immediate threat first before we can think about the future, a future which may never come to be!'
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

"I highly support this motion Aurelius! It is about time someone said something about it."

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh, Lepidus, in the end I might even end up liking you," Rufus said, irony not cloaked. "I am in full support of that motion. I say, put both to vote."

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

aye, perhaps a censor is needed, i will support the motion, and most likely stand as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    "Only the people can vote me out. The praetor cannot call a vote, fool."

OOC: How do you intend to make an unbiased people's vote? It will be unfair if the vote comes from the Senate.
    OOC: I was just gonna make a speech at the rostra. What will happen after that is a mistery to me.

Exasperated Speratus took his seat, he couldnt believe that while there were real issues to be discussed the senators were throwing personal insults at eachother. And now the the Censor proposal which would be sure to divert it even further

Standing after s short moment he shouted
    'If you fools could stay focused for even one moment upon the real matter at hand and not be blinded by personal rivalries then there would be no need of a Censur at all!'

With that he defiently sat.
    God Save The King

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

A letter arrives to the curia.
    Conscript fathers I have been informed about the bickering that has lately been spreading throughout the curia, I have also been informed that Senator Lepidus has put forth a motion to reinstall the Censor office to the list of senatorial offices.
    I would therefor like to nominate Senator Lepidus for the position. He has served the republic as Consul and is therefor legal to attain the position of this, one of the most prestigious office.

Signed Consul Marcus Aelius Vetus
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    Exasperated Speratus took his seat, he couldnt believe that while there were real issues to be discussed the senators were throwing personal insults at eachother. And now the the Censor proposal which would be sure to divert it even further

Standing after s short moment he shouted
    'If you fools could stay focused for even one moment upon the real matter at hand and not be blinded by personal rivalries then there would be no need of a Censur at all!'

With that he defiently sat.

"This is exactly why we need a Censor. To keep order in this building and to refrain from these outbursts and slander."

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"And I shall support it, it is about time we have order around here!" Said Decius ecually bothered.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Birderer, as presiding magistrate you get to put motions to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

A censor. How interesting.

Pallas stood up.

Senators, it is clear that our tribune is, for the lack of a better word, insane. He denies that he is a king, yet he says he is the people. When was the last time we have heard such a phrase being muttered? Ah yes, when the first of the Tarquins took throne as king. So, in that case, Tribune, I suggest you cool it with the rhetorics lest the people turn against you.

As for the office of a censor. I agree to it, upon a few conditions.

Now, Lepidus, the 2/3 non-abstaining vote issue should not be approved by a presiding magistrate. Instead, when the motion to remove the censor from power has been supported, it should be moved to vote, like any other laws of our Republic.

I am also in favor of introducing a five-year cycle of checking the familial history of each senator, as to trace our lines to better differentiate our class rankings. After all, Equestrians who have somehow fooled others into believing them to be Patricians is an affront to those of us who can trace our lines all the way to the earliest Romans. And I'm sure Plebeians who are so adamant about Pleb rights would not want to find a Patrician in their line. The cycle shall begin with the introduction of the first census if this motion carries forward.

There is nothing to fear in this cycle of checking. After all, we are all so sure of our lines, are we not?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would note that motions now already must be put forth by the presiding magistrate; this caveat simply affirms the ability of the Censor to work without backlash, as his actions are sure to be seen as unfavorable to the Senatorial class at one time or another.

The familial checking is really of no issue; many Patrician families have Plebeian branches now. The issue at hand would of course be financial status and public demeanor, and keeping things regularly updated should be no issue except to those that are demoted.

Then why not include it within the powers of the censor? If it is no issue, then including it will not matter. Unless, of course, you have something to hide in your family line?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Are you going to start again Senator?

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    A censor. How interesting.

Pallas stood up.

Senators, it is clear that our tribune is, for the lack of a better word, insane. He denies that he is a king, yet he says he is the people. When was the last time we have heard such a phrase being muttered? Ah yes, when the first of the Tarquins took throne as king. So, in that case, Tribune, I suggest you cool it with the rhetorics lest the people turn against you.

As for the office of a censor. I agree to it, upon a few conditions.

Now, Lepidus, the 2/3 non-abstaining vote issue should not be approved by a presiding magistrate. Instead, when the motion to remove the censor from power has been supported, it should be moved to vote, like any other laws of our Republic.

I am also in favor of introducing a five-year cycle of checking the familial history of each senator, as to trace our lines to better differentiate our class rankings. After all, Equestrians who have somehow fooled others into believing them to be Patricians is an affront to those of us who can trace our lines all the way to the earliest Romans. And I'm sure Plebeians who are so adamant about Pleb rights would not want to find a Patrician in their line. The cycle shall begin with the introduction of the first census if this motion carries forward.

There is nothing to fear in this cycle of checking. After all, we are all so sure of our lines, are we not?
    "I veto the ammendment. Many plebians have patricians in their lines. It is foolish to exclude those who married into a patrician family."

Gallus sat shaking his head.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Well then, the matter is settled.

ooc: For all intents and purposes Pallas is no longer in the Senate.

"How can you veto an amendment Gallus when it has not yet been made so?"

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    "How can you veto an amendment Gallus when it has not yet been made so?"
    "As Tribune I can veto any action. I can veto a motion or an ammendment itself."

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

'What he's saying is that we did not even agree to ammend the motion with his views, it was just a discussion point. And I highly doubt you are allowed to veto something that is just being discussed, correct me if I am wrong. I am in agreement that it should not be made of coarse but you should not use your powers so liberly, else you may end up in the same position as Senator Pallus here... and aren't you a firm believer that he is guilty of all the charges against him?'

By the end of his speech a cool note had drifted into Speratus's voice, and always kept his falsly casual gaze on the Tribune
    God Save The King

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    'What he's saying is that we did not even agree to ammend the motion with his views, it was just a discussion point. And I highly doubt you are allowed to veto something that is just being discussed, correct me if I am wrong. I am in agreement that it should not be made of coarse but you should not use your powers so liberly, else you may end up in the same position as Senator Pallus here... and aren't you a firm believer that he is guilty of all the charges against him?'
    "For gods sake read the powers of a Tribune. I hva full right to veto his ammenment."