Thread: Hey. Stat/France Mod

Default Hey. Stat/France Mod

So, I am currently making a mod which canprobably only be described as "how I would like to play", but hopefully you all may find interest as well. Anyhoo...

I've decided to combine a renaming/restructuring of the french army (much need imo) with a realism mod [tweeked by moi].

So Far:
    1. Almost every french unit will have its name changed for accuracy/language reasons. FOR INSTANCE, Young Guard will be replaced by Fusiliers de la Moyenne Garde because "Young Guard" were chasseurs and light infantry, not whatever CA thought they were... It was actually the middle guard that had the fusiliers (Vieille Garde was the Grenadiers). I beleive I have so far renamed every unit but Voltiguers which I had no quarrel with.

2. French units have been added. Dragons de la Garde are now available (Empress Dragoons), as well as Lanciers de la Ligne (to reflect that the french army had both line and light lancers). I will probably also be adding guard skirmishers as well and possibly new cannons and such. Input please.

note: so far, I have not taken the time to learn to re-texture. What I have done is change unit colors and combine different weapons/horses/cavalrymen etc... If someone could link me to a "unit card editor" tutorial or a good texturing tutorial that would be great.

3. Unit sizes have been changed to reflect realistic ratios:
    Line infantry are now 200 men.
    Light Infantry are now 175 men, a relative increase to reflect that they were similar to regular battalions just "lighter"
    Cavalry have been decreased to 50 men. Although this sounds like it may unbalance them, cavalry will also be gaining morale-destroying qualities which should even this out.
    Generals units have been reduced to 12, to reflect that they are not combat troops, and so players won't use them as such. Napolean I have kept at 24 to make him unique, and I have kept Ottoman generals at 32 because they are used as cavalry.
    Skirmishers have been reduced to 30 units. See 4.

4. Skirmishing will be/has been greatly changed. Skirmisher units will be used entirely for actual skirmishing/screening. Light infantry units will no longer be able to skirmish. Skirmisher units will be 30 men, but they will also have their rank/file changed so that they are skirmishing in groups of twos and over a much larger area (just like real skirmishers). I have actually already worked out the mod for this part. To somewhat balance out their significant reduction in fire power (not fully balance, mind you), they will have their accuracy increased and possibly also their morale (to represent their non-linear fighting style). Line units will all be receiving significant accuracy decreases, so the accuracy increase for skirmishers will be deadly.

5. Line units strategies will be changed. "Running around the map" will no longer be an option as running-induced-fatigue will become a major issue. Also, tiredness/exhaustion will be one of a few key determinants for morale. Morale will also be adjusted to prevent fighting to the death or extreme casualties. Fire will be adjusted similar to released realism mods: first two ranks fire. I will also try to make column formation/bayonets as viable an option as possible. However, I want to avoid drawn out bayonet confrontations, so I will make bayonet charges more of a morale-weapon.

6. The stat disparities between units will be changed. Many units will reload similarly (3 rounds per minute equivalent), with a few less and a few elites higher. Accuracy disparities will also be changed because general infantry tactics did not involve aiming. Melee differences and morale differences however will be widened, with elite/heavy units gaining a serious advantage. Morale will become the most important infantry statistic.

7. Pet peeves removed. Fire by Rank deleted. Fire will moving for cavalry deleted. skirmisher stakes deleted (where were they keeping those things?).

8. Experience bonuses for morale will increase logarithmically (opposite of exponential). What this means is a unit with 1 experience will be much more stable than one with 0 experience, but a unit with 5 experience might not be much more than a unit with 4 experience. Having at least a few chevrons may be an important component of a units reload speed, I'd like your thoughts on this.

9. The AI will need to be changed to fit the new strategies/units etc...Help wanted! haha.

10. Need to get some work done, more to come.

I'd like your opinions,suggestions,etc...I have actually done a lot of these so far even though they are in the future tense. I will be releasing the whole thing most likely as a batch (one .pack).

Thanks. RS

Default Re: Hey. Stat/France Mod

reserved