Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon or Alexander?

Default Napoleon or Alexander?

So, I have to do a report and it has to be about : (name) is the Greatest (adjective like leader or writer) in European History. I am stuck between writing about either Napoleon/Alexander the Great (other choices are also welcome) as the greatest military leaders/commanders. Hannibal is a possible third option but Carthage is geographically in Africa so I don't know. I'm asking you who, in your opinion, is the better military leader and why?
    Also, how do I put a poll in?

Default Re: Napoleon or Alexander?

Hannibal fought most of his battles in Europe. He's part of European history as such.

At the bottom of the post screen, you'll see "Post a Poll". Use that.
    In this day and age, there are two kinds of people: people with sticks, and people with bigger sticks.

See my RTW commentary battles on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Drakedeath View Post
    Hannibal fought most of his battles in Europe. He's part of European history as such.

At the bottom of the post screen, you'll see "Post a Poll". Use that.
    Umm.. sorry if i sound stupid, but I don't see any Post a Poll option when I try editing this thread or creating a new thread.

Rilsaur's Avatar Tiro

Do they have to originate from Europe, or just fight most/some of their battles there. if it has to be battles, Alexander would be a shoddy choice as he fought his most famous & triumphant battles in Asia.
    O merciful God, I have such need of Your mercy now. Not for myself, but for my knights, for this is truly their hour of need. Deliver them from their trials ahead and I will pay You a thousand fold with any sacrifice You ask of me. And if in Your wisdom, You should determine that sacrifice must be my life for theirs; so that they can once again taste the freedom that is so long been denied to them, I will gladly make that covenant. My death will have a purpose. I ask no more than that.

They are supposed to originate from Europe and do something that affects Europe basically. This is why I was questioning my choice of Hannibal because culturally and ethnically; North Africans were very similar to European Mediterranean countries. But geographically, they are technically not in Europe.
    Last edited by Filch20; March 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

Quote Originally Posted by Filch20 View Post
    Umm.. sorry if i sound stupid, but I don't see any Post a Poll option when I try editing this thread or creating a new thread.
    I believe you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can make a poll.

This thread is gonna get closed very soon
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Rilsaur's Avatar Tiro

you could use Hannibal I suppose, as it was because of the Punic Wars that Rome became an empire. Though that is debatable.
    O merciful God, I have such need of Your mercy now. Not for myself, but for my knights, for this is truly their hour of need. Deliver them from their trials ahead and I will pay You a thousand fold with any sacrifice You ask of me. And if in Your wisdom, You should determine that sacrifice must be my life for theirs; so that they can once again taste the freedom that is so long been denied to them, I will gladly make that covenant. My death will have a purpose. I ask no more than that.

do Vercingetorix, he was a swell guy.....you do know who he is right? : P

I would say Spartacus, Gustavus Adolphus the Great or Fredrick the Great.

If you are more looking for heroes I would recommend Vlad Tepes, Hernando Cortez or Heinz Guderian.

Timur_the_Lame's Avatar Praepositus

Definately Alexander. He was amazing at all three forms of battle (seige, open, and guerrilla) which is more than ANY of these other generals can say. plus he has been the gage of greatness ever since. Also, Alcibiades (Pellopenessian war), Caesar, Hannibal, and Fredrick the Great deserve a say. but i would have to go with Alexander as he is their gage of greatness

Quote Originally Posted by Timur_the_Lame View Post
    He was amazing at all three forms of battle (seige, open, and guerrilla)
    LOL that just made me think of a bunch of phalangites sitting in a tree waiting to jump on a persian soldier. But I think I am going to do Alexander because I am just more interested in ancient warfare.

I would definately check out Alcibiades of Athens. He was not only the greatest warrior of his time he was also a politician, philosopher and philanthropist. Check out this page http://www.biographybase.com/biography/Alcibiades.html. It gives you a brief history of him. He was also a peer of Socrates.

To be fairly crude the reason napoleon won was because he
    A. Spammed artillery,
    B. brought a of cheap inf and zergrushed the opposing army before they could reload after the first volley. even with this tactic the French still lost 20 % of their soldiers in most battles they won.

I believe that means i'd do Alexander.
    Last edited by |Sith| Max; March 17, 2010 at 03:14 AM.

kostas84's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|9|Lord_Max View Post
    A. Spammed artillery,
    B. brought a of cheap inf and zergrushed the opposing army before they could reload after the first volley. even with this tactic the French still lost 20 % of their soldiers in most battles they won.

Lol'd

Anyway id pick Alexander.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Alexander, without any doubt.

kostas84's Avatar Campidoctor

Napoleon didnt even conquer half of Europe(correct me if im wrong).

Alexander conquered all of asia, egypt, scythia, balkans, and greece, and all of that in a few years.

leseras's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|9|Lord_Max View Post
    A. Spammed artillery,

I don't like that shorty either. He never really conquered Europe, maybe part of it thats all. Alexender on the other hand is awesome!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...89#post6791289 My first and epic failure AAR
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...22#post6976522 My second ongoing AAR
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [IMG][/IMG]
    God bless you! Oh wait you're an atheist? Then god DAMN YOU!

Timur_the_Lame's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by mikelewis View Post
    I would definately check out Alcibiades of Athens. He was not only the greatest warrior of his time he was also a politician, philosopher and philanthropist. Check out this page http://www.biographybase.com/biography/Alcibiades.html. It gives you a brief history of him. He was also a peer of Socrates.
    haha what u looked up Alcibiades after i said him? lolz its cool. btw, there is a great book, with him as an important character, called Tides of War about the Pellopennesian Wars. but yeah Napoleon was a great general (I laugh at all of u saying he wasnt) but he was mediocre compared to Alexander.

leseras's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Timur_the_Lame View Post
    haha what u looked up Alcibiades after i said him? lolz its cool. btw, there is a great book, with him as an important character, called Tides of War about the Pellopennesian Wars. but yeah Napoleon was a great general (I laugh at all of u saying he wasnt) but he was mediocre compared to Alexander.
    Which is prescisely why he should write about alexander.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...89#post6791289 My first and epic failure AAR
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...22#post6976522 My second ongoing AAR
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [IMG][/IMG]
    God bless you! Oh wait you're an atheist? Then god DAMN YOU!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast