Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: suggestions

Default Re: suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Warrior View Post
    have you thougt of any way to incorporate the more finer intriacies of the 476 "fall"? like ERE Emperor Zeno recieving the imperial vestiges of the puppet ruler Romulus Augustulus, and accepted truce with Odeacer soon after?
    Odeacers realm starting out as a client state of the ERE for example?
    Is Julius Nepos going to factor in?..just brainstorming atm
    Continure to brainstorm..Its all good. We will eventually make our way here...sooner than later

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

are you going to use unit cards and units from Britannia and IB ! ? YES julius nepos should be factored in
    Last edited by codix105; May 27, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
    Hedinn Vedr Total War
    Now Recruiting Coder and Scripter!!!

[IMG]

I agree, dont forget Julius Nepos and the city of Salona, i think this should be a playable faction.

Quote Originally Posted by codix105 View Post
    are you going to use unit cards and units from Britannia and IB ! ? YES julius nepos should be factored in
    -Unit cards will be from IB2

Quote Originally Posted by kikiriki View Post
    I agree, dont forget Julius Nepos and the city of Salona, i think this should be a playable faction.
    This area under Marcellinus was much more pertinent before 476AD But..it will certainly be a faction. As to its playability, we will need to look closely at it
    Last edited by Riothamus; June 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Was Salonae independent or part of Nepos kingdom?

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

It was a part I am pretty sure. As Nepos simply took over the government of the province of illyria this city should have been under his administration.

I think in general with the exception of the army that the byzantium's sent over and the vandal armies, most the factions were pretty low on troops, especially Rome, since Ricimer really let things go. Burgundians had a decent force since for a time in this period they had pseudo control over the italian pennisula. Orestes was given control of the Byzantium army, including many foederati, to put down a rebellion, I think in or near Gaul, but since he had a change of heart and desired control of Rome for himself, he bribed the army with his lies and marched on Rome. This is what sent Nepos into exile and Orestes on a collision course with his rival, Odavacer. Goths had a decent army but it was spread out under its recent expansion. The berbers would likely have a much better and larger force if they united all 3 major factions of berber peoples that existed at this time. Aegidius rebelled against the murderer, usurper, puppet master, Ricimer not so much rome. He and Marionius were capable and loyal officers. At one time I think both were under Aetius. Correct me if I am mistaken.

As far as sources go for some of the things I've discussed in the past one of them from which I gathered the excellent Martial art mastery of primitive weapons of the germanic barbarians is the show Warriors. I looked at this source, which included historians and people that keep alive the ancient traditions, as a good reason to believe the martial prowess using slings, spears, short swords and sticks (the main weapons of the germanic barbarians at least as of 9 ad). I can draw a reasonable conclusion this idea has legitimacy because, recent finds showed that medieval knights for example did not just slap swords around with very little skill. It was a fine tuned honed art of combat from many years of training. People of the west for some reason forget that, the west too had a long martial arts tradition. This can be traced back as far as the Pankration (all powers) that the greeks used and the spartans mastered. It is easy to forget the asians were not the only ones to use special fighting skills. They demonstrate how they used the spear as a true weapon in the show. It is a marvel to watch. This would make for a good unit to have in any barbarian army based on this information, such as spear masters, club men, slinger hunters, short swordsmen. They had a method of combat called the wheelie right, its similar to the circle attack in the game, but it had a difference, they're riders were resupplied with spears by a footman.

When Orestes later confronted a angry Odavacer with a Foederati/ostrogoth army, Orestes had what amounts to a handful of men. Odavacer probably only had little more numerical superiority. Marius, when alive managed to maintain a decent enough force to challenge the vandals, but when Orestes reneged on his promises to the foederati army, they joined Odavacer to oust Orestes. Reading about and watching documentaries gives the impression, no one had very large armies at this time.

Since Aegidus and Nepos were assassinated, is there a way to have that threat in the game, scripted perhaps? But if you hire your own spies and assassins or perhaps construct a personal security structure? This could be the impetus to reduce this chance greatly?

I might recommend some Monarchy buildings that Odavacer could build with in the formerly imperial/senatorial Rome provinces. This is the first time there was a King in Rome since Tarquinius. It would make sense to have a transitional phase and constructions.

An event could be made concerning the Lombards, such as if the Ostrogoths move into italy or defeat Odavacer early or get weak themselves once there, they are drawn into italy earlier.
    Last edited by Cincinatus; October 05, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
    "It is worth while for those who disdain all human things for money, and who suppose that there is no room either for great honor or virtue, except where wealth is found, to listen to his story."
    - Livy 3.26

I my opinion the game needs also a faction above the alps between the burgundi und the faction with the black colour. It would make sence to add the franks or the Alemanni there because it will add more difficulty for the faction so that the game isn't one in which you fight always against large empires.

Quote Originally Posted by Bund weicher Birnen View Post
    I my opinion the game needs also a faction above the alps between the burgundi und the faction with the black colour. It would make sence to add the franks or the Alemanni there because it will add more difficulty for the faction so that the game isn't one in which you fight always against large empires.
    Franks and Lombadrdi will be in the game. They will most likely spawn off a single settlement in 486 to a potential threat

Miles

Custom settlements? It would really add something for the immersion of the game.

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Semisalis

Which period will cover the mod?
    If you need any help with Langobards history just ask!!

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Hornblower View Post
    Which period will cover the mod?
    If you need any help with Langobards history just ask!!
    Will get around to these questions here soon

Quote Originally Posted by wis View Post
    Custom settlements? It would really add something for the immersion of the game.
    This would be great but it's very demanding. Would be amazing to see custom cities of late antiquity, though.

Guys, I have a suggestion. I've been playing the Ruischi mod and have noticed that the Marka horses are brilliant. Any chance to use them, or any other realistic looking horse models? I have a problem.. of prejudice... I just can't stand vanilla horses.

It would be breathtaking to see these horses in addition to your beautiful units. Your mods are some of the best material for M2TW and beckon for such mighty steeds.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    This would be great but it's very demanding. Would be amazing to see custom cities of late antiquity, though.

Guys, I have a suggestion. I've been playing the Ruischi mod and have noticed that the Marka horses are brilliant. Any chance to use them, or any other realistic looking horse models? I have a problem.. of prejudice... I just can't stand vanilla horses.

It would be breathtaking to see these horses in addition to your beautiful units. Your mods are some of the best material for M2TW and beckon for such mighty steeds.
    WELCOME atheniandp We are actually using the real horses mod!
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Hey quick question which IB are you guys gonna finish first Restitutor Orbis or this one? They both look great so far and cover time periods no one else has touched.

Also will there be Romano-Berbers?

Oh no no responce back?!?! Haha can't wait to play Restitvtor Orbis

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Foliage View Post
    Oh no no responce back?!?! Haha can't wait to play Restitvtor Orbis
    Hi Seņor Foliage
    We will finish with CONQVESTVS BRITANNIAE and then continue with Odoacer.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345