Thread: Faction Preview 1: Locris and Phocis

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Default Faction Preview 1: Locris and Phocis

Faction description:

Locris is a land divided by geography and weak in power, but rich in tradition. The Locrians of Opus were said to have contributed 40 ships to the Trojan War, and it was they who were first called "Hellenes", a name that would subsequently become the national designation of all Greeks. They honour Ajax the Lesser, the most prominent Locrian hero of the Trojan war, and always leave a space in their phalanx for him, to symbolise that he will always aid them in battle.

The eastern Locrians (Opuntian and Epicnemedian) are the more prosperous and established. It was on their soil that the battle of Thermopylae was fought, and they resisted the Persian advance with everything they had, but were ultimately forced to capitulate. The western Locrians (Ozolian) have never been as advanced or prosperous, and recently they have fallen in danger of giving up their sovereignty to neighbouring powers. Their most notable historic success was the foundation of a colony in South Italy, Epizephyrian Locris, which has been called "the flower of Italy" by Plato.
    The Locrians face many serious challenges. Their lands are poor and divided. Consolidation could come in the form of conquest, and the instability brewing in Phocis could be to their advantage but it may also very well be their downfall. Whoever leads the Locrians will have to tread carefully.

Strategy Map Location:

General's Hoplites

Chosen Hoplites

Hoplites

Militia Hoplites

Javelinmen

Slingers

Prodromoi

Royal Cavalry

A battle in progress

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Default Re: Faction Preview 1: Locris and Phocis

Faction description:

The Phocians trace their origin to settlers from the island of Aegina, led by the Corinthian hero Phocos. Their history has been intimately linked with the sacred city of Delphi which, though surrounded by Phocian settlements, has traditionally retained its autonomy as the seat of the Amphiktyonic Council and of the most famous oracle in Greece.

Occupying a strategic location, which is however mountainous and poor, the Phocians have had to endure invasions and foreign meddling. Their near subjugation by Thessalian invaders before the Persian Wars gave Greece an expression for the utmost desperation of a people. At the Battle of Thermopylae, Phocaeans failed to protect a mountain path that led behind the Greek forces, thus leading to the abandonment of that defensive position by all but the Spartans and Thespians, and to the devastation of Phocis, once the Persians broke through.

Phocis has managed to maintain good relations with both Sparta and Athens, but at the cost of making an enemy out of Thebes. With the withdrawal of Thebans from Peloponnesos, there is reason to fear a Theban 'interest' in the affairs of the Phocians. The maintenance of a balance of powers might keep Phocis safe, but should that prove unfeasible... the riches of Delphi could support an army, but at the risk of reprisals from all the other members of the Amphiktyonic Council; which means most of Greece...

Strategy Map Location:

Units

General's Hoplites

Chosen Hoplites

Hoplites

Militia Hoplites

Javelinmen

Prodromoi
    Last edited by cpdwane; March 15, 2010 at 05:42 PM.

Default Re: Faction Preview 1: Locris and Phocis (+Delphi)

Description

Delphi – the navel of the earth; a panhellenic center of religion, athletism, culture and politics. The antiquity of its oracle is lost in the depths of prehistory, while according to myth, Apollo took over as its official god after killing the serpent protector of its previous chthonic cult. Since then, its reputation has steadily increased as the most reliable source of prophesies in the world, although experience has taught supplicants that relying on god’s will alone is not always enough – when Athenian emissaries asked for directions after the Battle of Thermopylae, the oracle told them to abandon all hope and head for the hills. The Athenians found the answer unsatisfactory and refused to leave until the god gave them a better one!

The reputation of the oracle has brought it much wealth, either as gifts from impressed rulers, such as the legendary Croesus of Lydia, or as dedications from cities following great victories or fortuitous events. But as the oracle’s influence over political decisions has waned, the influence of the Delphic Amphictyony is still considerable. It is a council representing all the tribes of central Greece, with two representatives from each tribe, be it a tiny one like the Malians or a hugely expanded one, like the Dorians. Members of the Amphictyony are bound by certain rules of war, such as a prohibition on cutting off a city’s water supply or on exterminating one’s enemies, and are responsible for the protection of Delphi. At times when the interests of the city are deemed threatened by another state, a Sacred War can be declared on the offending party, where the normal rules of war may not necessarily apply...

There are significant economic bonuses for whoever controls Delphi, but that comes with increased unrest and the threat of retaliation from members of the Amphictyony.

Ingame

Delphi will be featured in the game as a rebel settlement rather then a faction. It will however be of vital strategic importance, for whichever faction controls it will recieve a large bonus in money, which they can use to raise a powerful mercenary army! This will help to recreate what Phocis did in the lead-up to the Third Sacred war. We still haven't quite worked out the specifics of how this will work yet, but we are certain on including a feature like this in the mod, so expect to see more of Delphi soon...

Unit

Despite being largely controlled by the Amphiktyonic Council, Delphi is still an independant, if small, city state, and has a small force of citizen hoplites dedicated to protecting it.
    Last edited by cpdwane; March 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM.

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

great skins!

could i suggest to add some more depth to the chitons?
    Last edited by Cinuz; March 16, 2010 at 09:45 AM.

The depth of texture on these skins matches that of those from the earlier version of the mod, and we won't be changing those, so I'm going to keep these as they are.
    Last edited by cpdwane; March 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Yeah I knew that, just some suggestion...As it is now, the skirt of the chiton seems a little "plain"...Anyway okay

hannibalcaesar's Avatar Mostly Retired Modder

Very good.

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Nice preview! I like the phocian shields! And the colour contrasts used for the entire faction! Really nice!
    RTWRM - back to basics

Thanks for the comments guys

The new preview for the city of Dephi is up.
    Feel free to post any suggestions as to how we could reflect the importance of Delphi and the benefits it could have to factions controlling it in the mod.

Looking pretty good guys!

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

Nice job!

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

Thanks, guys!

debux's Avatar Senator

It's just so hard to keep these factions alive... I wonder sometimes how much money I've donated them
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Great map design, love the terrain.

where is threekingdom total war

It got banned for using a modified exe and something else I forgot. (I think)

EDIT: Also it included the whole game for download.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; October 28, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
    炸鸡