Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France too overpowered?

Nex Sui's Avatar Libertus

Icon1 France too overpowered?

Just got the game installed (had it preordered but couldn't be arsed installing it till now ) and because I simply resent the french I picked Britain as always, but only a few turns in I found myself being crushed by french navies, making me think they start with either a way too strong economy or too large a naval force than me, I had no chance and was unable to run, making me furious and shutting down the game, now I've lost all will to give it a shot again, and when I sometime in the future finally get bothered to try again, I was wondering, do the french start with a vastly larger land force too? and is it just me or is that navy too massive?

Default Re: France too overpowered?

This seems odd to me. I am playing two games -- one solo, one against a good French opponent -- as British, and the French fleet does not worry me in either. What worries me is that I will defeat one of the French, Batavian, or Spanish fleets in a hard-fought battle, and then find I have to face the other two soon thereafter. I didn't think the French fleet was too large, is all I can say about that, plus the AI is not as aggressive as it should be (though the AI Spanish in my MP campaign have been driving me nutso by interfering with my merchant fleet).

As far as the French army goes, it should be a long time before you have to worry about them, and eventually, if you crank out enough merchant ships, you will be generating more money than you can easily spend (in which case I suggest you give some to Austria, Prussia, and/or Russia).

Look at this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=339013 for basic strategies on playing with GB. Once you get the hang of it it would get boring because you would be owning everything with the 1 million gold you've accumulated. Basically, ship your 1 stack of beginning armies to europe and start looting every poorly defended french towns for cash; use your ships and right click on every french harbor so they can't even make a navy; don't make any land units and just concentrate on making trade ships which you can put on the trade notes on the 4 parts in the upper left of the map; and use your (Nelson?) massive startup fleet you have to guard the South area so nothing comes sneaking up. Works every time once you get the hang of it. Oh, and one more thing, don't piss off Denmark.

Keep in mind I only got through the first few turns, therefore I only saw what they started with and possibly 2-3 ships they managed to recruit, I had a minor fleet wrecking havoc upon the northern french coast harbors making France unable to recruit and get income from the harbors.

Quote Originally Posted by tenjouten View Post
    Oh, and one more thing, don't piss off Denmark.
    Am a Dane so Im only going to retaliate if they attack

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Nex Sui View Post
    Keep in mind I only got through the first few turns, therefore I only saw what they started with and possibly 2-3 ships they managed to recruit, I had a minor fleet wrecking havoc upon the northern french coast harbors making France unable to recruit and get income from the harbors.
    Well, the fact that French made ANY ships tells us you did not do your job as the channel policeman. The Brits start with plenty of ships in the channel to prevent any French shipbuilding. Don't leave your ships in the raided harbors (that triggers the AI to leave army garrisons in ports). Raid, and withdraw. Rinse, repeat. It does get too boring soon enough.

Prestige of France is sky high in my Russian campaign. They seem to be strong (at sea as well) indeed. I was raiding France german and italian provinces, defeated 3 French stacks, liberated 3 provinces, but that didn't seem to affect their prestige. Not that I complain: all fun seems to be ahead.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Equitum View Post
    Prestige of France is sky high in my Russian campaign. They seem to be strong (at sea as well) indeed. I was raiding France german and italian provinces, defeated 3 French stacks, liberated 3 provinces, but that didn't seem to affect their prestige. Not that I complain: all fun seems to be ahead.
    Without debilitating house rules, it is easy to play as Russia against AI controlled France. Just fill up Kutusov's army and go wild on unprotected French provinces.

Playing against a human controlled France is different. It is highly ikely, the human opponent will bribe Prussia to attack Russia on turn 0. Kutusov is needed back home then.

because I simply resent the french I picked Britain as always
    That's your mistake.
    Ceci est une signature

skimyy's Avatar Civis

I had no problem with the French navy, except the one stationed near Spain. (Villenueve?)

Just raid the ports and repeat. The Campaign AI has no idea what to do in that case. They often slip out a few Sloops or 2, which isn't a problem.

However on land, now you have a problem there.

GB's allies don't seem to do anything and it seems all of French army is focusing on you.
    I was having a hell of a time fighting Nappy on land, so i just gave up and invaded Spain from Gibraltar like I was suppose to I guess..

AUSSIE11's Avatar Semisalis

to annoy boney as the british the best way is Commando style raids looting his coastal cities... u capture a city, raze everything in the region then just let him recapture and rebuild... then repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Well, the fact that French made ANY ships tells us you did not do your job as the channel policeman. The Brits start with plenty of ships in the channel to prevent any French shipbuilding. Don't leave your ships in the raided harbors (that triggers the AI to leave army garrisons in ports). Raid, and withdraw. Rinse, repeat. It does get too boring soon enough.
    Well I had one fleet in the channel policing it, they were unable to build in the channel during the complete game, but my navy with Nelson did not seem sufficient against the major spanish & french fleet, so was unable to lock those out, which turned out to give me a headache as the major french fleet managed to lure me to the side so another rather large french fleet could sail through and up to the channel crushing my minor fleet policing the channel.. Thats what made me write this in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    That's your mistake.
    That's all about oppinion

I think the link Tenjouten posted (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=339013) or http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=338185
    should help you onwards enough ^^ GB certainly isn't weak and if you honor the coallition France shouldn't be that bad.

If you think France's navy is OP, pick up France in Europe campaign and check what they have. It is not so bad but its no big force in comparison to british.
    "When your opponent fears you, then's the moment when you give the fear its own rein, give it the time to work on him. Let it become terror. The terrified man fights himself. Eventually, he attacks in desperation. That is the most dangerous moment, but the terrified man can be trusted usually to make a fatal mistake."

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

That's all about oppinion
    Keep yours, I'll keep mine.
    Vive la France.
    Ceci est une signature

With Nelson you should be able to take out every French and Spanish ship without repairing. From the first turn start building sloops and merchant ships and snatch up the trade nodes and damage the enemy ports so they can't rebuild. Every turn micromanage the ships to keep the ports destroyed. Everytime you move a ship into a enemy port it fires at it and does damage so move it in and out until its the damage bar is at the bottom.

If your not very good at ship combat just auto resolve with Nelson he will capture many new ships for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Keep yours, I'll keep mine.
    Vive la France.
    Indeed. France is my favorite faction followed by Russia.

This is the first time I've heard of someone having trouble with the Brits. I've always thought they seemed like a real easy faction to play as. They have a good navy at the start and the French don't have very developed ports to begin with (but who needs a navy when you're conquering Europe). It seems like just a matter of raiding their ports and dominating the trade nodes.

I have to say, that even being a navy guy (and thus usually a fan of the Brits) I'm liking the French more and more. Not overpowered IMHO, but the most balanced power with no major deficiencies. On the navy side, it lacks the roster of the Brits, but has all the most important ships (122, 80, and 74 gun ships), and with its speed advantage the 122 gun goes as fast as a British 1st or 2nd Rate, eliminating the big drawback of those tubs. On the land side it has a very well balanced army. Not spectacular in any one regard but good basic units and several useful elite units. A very balanced faction.

Icon10 Re: France too overpowered?

Just got the game installed (had it preordered but couldn't be arsed installing it till now ) and because I simply resent the french I picked Britain as always, but only a few turns in I found myself being crushed by french navies, making me think they start with either a way too strong economy or too large a naval force than me, I had no chance and was unable to run, making me furious and shutting down the game, now I've lost all will to give it a shot again, and when I sometime in the future finally get bothered to try again, I was wondering, do the french start with a vastly larger land force too? and is it just me or is that navy too massive?

well i play as the Prussian's (Germans) i find that France is too overpowered because whenever i battle one army , no matter how small they are and even without a general they give me a ratio of 1/1000 win (even when they have three units and i have a large scale army, and also note they are all experienced men at least rank 4 or 5 ) . note i am a player who mostly uses the autoplay but i now fight the battles whenver its with France. and also note just try to do a battle of attrition , and also British has less land and that they were beaten up by France slightly. so you should account the land revenue and that they have form the start a large army. also take in the fact that all your enemies are on your side so they have a larger chance of sending reinforcements or attacks quicker to you then any other nation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast