Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: [Guide]Stainless Steel 6.X Install

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.X Install Guide

Quote Originally Posted by sbroadbent View Post
    Was resolved in Install wont download but great template posts for future problems

Merged above topic into original one (this).

Guys, I am struggling immensely to download this torrent. I have followed the guide here to the letter - the only thing I am struggling with is the test at the beginning, with it failing every time as the server connection automatically times out - and I'm only achieving speeds of around 14KB download. This will get me SS6.3 in about 2 days, 6 hours.

If anyone could help me out, I'd be much obliged.

I know this isn't the best place, but I'll be damned if anybody reads the installation sticky beyond the first page.

At my current download speed, around 14KB, it will take me three days to download SS. I have followed the guide provided here to increase my speed - I cannot test my connection speed as the test instantly times out before connecting to the server, but the rest I have gone through - and don't partciularly want to wait 72 hours before playing this steaming heap of win. Any help would be much appreciated. If it helps, the torrent I am downloading is here. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Last edited by bɑne; October 24, 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Default Re: Seriously Struggling With Torrent Speeds For Downloading SS6.3, Any Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    I know this isn't the best place, but I'll be damned if anybody reads the installation sticky beyond the first page.
    I do. Others as well
    At my current download speed, around 14KB, it will take me three days to download SS. I have followed the guide provided here to increase my speed - I cannot test my connection speed as the test instantly times out before connecting to the server, but the rest I have gone through - and don't partciularly want to wait 72 hours before playing this steaming heap of win. Any help would be much appreciated. If it helps, the torrent I am downloading is here. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Quickest might be to try downloading with BitLet, otherwise I can only suggest checking your router configuration and redownloading the torrentfile.

Default Re: Seriously Struggling With Torrent Speeds For Downloading SS6.3, Any Help?

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    I do. Others as well

Quickest might be to try downloading with BitLet, otherwise I can only suggest checking your router configuration and redownloading the torrentfile.
    BitLet tells me it cannot detect the metafile. What would I alter as far as my router goes to improve download speed? it's currently at 0.4KB. :laughter

You need to open ports for utorrent, I can't really say anything specific as a) I don't know your router and b) that's hopefully covered by your manual.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    You need to open ports for utorrent, I can't really say anything specific as a) I don't know your router and b) that's hopefully covered by your manual.
    Thanks for your help, it turns out I had to add two firewall rules that opened the port I was using in order to get a decent download speed - once I managed that, I got a speed of 800kb ish, which meant a 45 minute wait. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    Thanks for your help, it turns out I had to add two firewall rules that opened the port I was using in order to get a decent download speed - once I managed that, I got a speed of 800kb ish, which meant a 45 minute wait. Thanks a lot.
    Glad to hear it - if you need help again stick to one help request / post at a time

Default Re: [Guide]Stainless Steel 6.X Install

I understand you can't play Third Age with both Stainless Steel 6.3 and RC & RR. My question is now that I installed 6.3 when I now play Third Age will it utilize the 6.3 upgrade, and if so is playing Third Age better with 6.3 or RC & RR. If it is better with RC & RR, what do I have to do to play it this way now that I have installed 6.3?

Quote Originally Posted by paperhero View Post
    I understand you can't play Third Age with both Stainless Steel 6.3 and RC & RR. My question is now that I installed 6.3 when I now play Third Age will it utilize the 6.3 upgrade, and if so is playing Third Age better with 6.3 or RC & RR. If it is better with RC & RR, what do I have to do to play it this way now that I have installed 6.3?
    Who said that? Please tell him that he either is beeing missunderstood or that he got his facts wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by paperhero View Post
    I understand you can't play Third Age with both Stainless Steel 6.3 and RC & RR.
    You can.
    My question is now that I installed 6.3 when I now play Third Age will it utilize the 6.3 upgrade,
    TA won't use anything of 6.3.
    and if so is playing Third Age better with 6.3 or RC & RR.
    If you want RR&RC, use the one for TA
    If it is better with RC & RR, what do I have to do to play it this way now that I have installed 6.3?
    Ask in the TA forum or better yet look in their submod section for TAs version of RR&RC.

Thanks

idk wat to do with the bin were i need to put them ? help plz!!!!!!!!!!!

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by lion96 View Post
    idk wat to do with the bin were i need to put them ? help plz!!!!!!!!!!!
    wow...old topic....lol...but your answer is take the 4 or 5 (i can't remember exactly right now lol) .bin files and the .exe and put them in their own folder on your desktop labeled ss6.3 install. Double click the .exe file in the folder and the installer should do the rest. Make sure you point it at the mods folder. Oh....and if you don't have the .exe check the 6.3 or 6.4 released thread and its there right above the .bin downloads (6.4 has the 6.3 topic quoted).

have fun!

i'm a bit lost...i want to install SS 6.2 but there are 2 versions...what is the difference betwin them?

I downloaded the six files. When I ran the .exe, the first thing it said was "Error: Archive not found." It did, however, continue to run. So then I ran the 6.4 exe. All appeared to have worked as when I clicked on my new SS desktop icon, I got the new SS splashscreen, then....nothing. It all simply disappeared and I was back at my desktop. What did I screw up?

Panzer

I'm not familiar with that error message but I'd recommend trying another 6.3 (re)install first.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
    I downloaded the six files. When I ran the .exe, the first thing it said was "Error: Archive not found." It did, however, continue to run. So then I ran the 6.4 exe. All appeared to have worked as when I clicked on my new SS desktop icon, I got the new SS splashscreen, then....nothing. It all simply disappeared and I was back at my desktop. What did I screw up?

Panzer
    the archive is my guess probably an error in one of the .bin files (so based on where it happened i'd say the first one if under 20% install, and so on so forth) or an error in being able to create a temp file archive with the installer, which assuming your running vista/win7 i'd say make sure you right click and run as admin for the .exe file.

how'd far the installer get before the error message?

KingCrr's Avatar Miles

Install will not work. Need help. Refer to picture attachment for error message. Please help! I'm trying to install 6.3

Laetus

Downloaded the torrent, ran the installer, and it runs like a dream! AND I'm on Steam! Y'all rock!

Quote Originally Posted by KingCrr View Post
    Install will not work. Need help. Refer to picture attachment for error message. Please help! I'm trying to install 6.3
    eh sry....i forget about this thread sometimes.....install it outside of program files (x86), so like in a new folder called C:/games or C:/mystuff or whatever.

Hey,
    so i turned off uac and downloaded stainless steel the "B" way (the one with like 10 parts) and ran the helper program, but when i try to install i get this message:
    "Please insert disc 1 and click OK
    If the files on this disk can be found in a folder other than the one below, enter the correct path or click browse"

What do I do now? How do I solve this?