Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replenishment system is the best in the TW series

Icon14 Replenishment system is the best in the TW series

I have noticed that there are few comments about the new way in which depleted units get replenished introduced in Napoleon TW. I think that this system is absolutely the best compared to the previous seen in the series and I am curious to know if other people agree.

I remember the first system in Shogun to retrain units: it was awful, it involved drag-and-dropping units cards around in the city screen... I never used it, it was far simpler to just merge together depleted units.

In Rome and M2 the thing was somewhat easier to manage, you could refill units in the same screen used the train new ones but it had a couple of drawbacks: 1) you could only retrain units inside a city 2) you could only retrain units which that city was able to produce (so it was a pain to retrain elite units recruitable only in core regions).

Empire was a great improvement: you could now retrain your units everywhere without limits; anyway that very improvement made it felt a bit "weird" because in just 2 turns you could completely retrain your best unit types in the most forgotten places of the world.

Now in Napoleon we get the best of both worlds: we can retrain units anywhere AND the most common units retrain faster than the elite or regional troops. PLUS we have the added benefit that retraining is automatic and doesn't need micro-management any more!
    What more can we ask? I never really liked the previous systems but now I am satisfied. What do you think?

Default Re: Replenishment system is the best in the TW series

Yeah its quite good also adding the fact that the more supply depots you have the quicker men will replenish in the field i mean its hardly ultra realistic but it certainly a great leap forward in portraying this feature certainly pleases me

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

I'd like it if it had some sort of localized feel to it, so for example say I, as the British go to help Prussia.

Rather than have it so that your British line infantry is replenished while in Prussia (I like the fact you can replenish in allied territory as well as your own, btw) have it so that only "local" units get new recruits, for example if you had a unit of King's German Legion Line - they would replenish while in the German States, but you'd have to go to Britain itself to replenish your units with British people, or otherwise ship a unit from home and replenish them manualy.

Although you'd also be able to replenish all your units in your home land, as it'd seem abit odd if you had to go to Germany just to get more Germans.

I agree although the replenishment system needs some tweaking it sucks if you have to replenish an army with 2 or 3 decimated units and instead of going quicker with less units it stays the same rate

The replenishment system is a huge leap from previous titles. Although its not so realistic it is absolutely great for purpose of good gameplay! It really is the best in TW series so far.

What I am still missing is the population factor. The number of people in region where the army replenish or the population in players empire as a whole (or both of this factors) should have big impact on re-training. So far the population has insignificant importance and it is not a gameplay factor at all (since in NTW your villages are not growing like in ETW). In the real life, the number of inhabitans was one of the key factors which influenced the numbers in any nation's army. Here in NTW, it is totally irrelevant....
    "When your opponent fears you, then's the moment when you give the fear its own rein, give it the time to work on him. Let it become terror. The terrified man fights himself. Eventually, he attacks in desperation. That is the most dangerous moment, but the terrified man can be trusted usually to make a fatal mistake."

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Agreed, I love the new system and how supply/attrition is handled. The way it emphasized generals is also awesome, I've wanted something like that for a long time.

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

I agree that the new replenishment system is well-implemented...

But I still miss being able to replenish my units myself. I wonder if this new system will stick around for the next CA game...
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

It would have been nice to be able to replenish slowly in enemy territory, if there was a line of supply (which could be cut). It would be very nice if ammo levels were also tied into this system.
    Vudak

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Yeah its great. And it still gives you a little punishment for using unique units (I learned not to bring Highlanders on faraway invasions the hard way...red replenishment ftl).

Wonderful addition to the series, as are liberations

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

This is a large step forward in the TW series.

Prior to this the AI never ever replenished a units strength. For whatever thefailings that caused this, it is now been craftly side stepped.

Now only of the AI could repair its damaged ships in port.

I must say that even though I havent agreed with all of CA recent decisions by any means the new replenishment system has pleased me, it just feels right and it adds more depth to the game. Giving you a reason to husband the elite, more uncommon troops because they often wont retrain as quickly.

Im not convinced about the attrition mechanism however, it seems a bit tamely implemented for the most part, in the main campaign at least. Sometimes I just notice that my nice newly trained Highland Foot or Hungarian Fusiliers have lost 10 - 15 men, which upsets the OCD part of me when I place them on the field.

Now if only attrition was on par with replenishment rates, then it would be the best.
    Parcus es vinco of fecal res
    "The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." Tesla
    "France has more need of me than I have need of France." Napoleon
    "Its better to fight for something then live for nothing." Patton

I don't like this system, it can take my army three months to fully replenish, even with a supply post. Empire's replenishment system was easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
    I don't like this system, it can take my army three months to fully replenish, even with a supply post. Empire's replenishment system was easier.
    You also have to understand that Napoleon's turns based system realistically shows how long it would take considering the turns are 2 weeks. Empire's was half a year. That is equivalent to about 12 turns in Napoleon. So it is the same system but just a difference in the turn system.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon's Febreeze View Post
    You also have to understand that Napoleon's turns based system realistically shows how long it would take considering the turns are 2 weeks. Empire's was half a year. That is equivalent to about 12 turns in Napoleon. So it is the same system but just a difference in the turn system.
    True, still, It can be ridiculously annoying, sometimes your unit of infantry has one unit to go and you siege a city, you auto-resolve and you lose because the computer took into account the 'missing rifleman'. Don't know if it's happened to you, but sure has happened to me.

True, still, It can be ridiculously annoying, sometimes your unit of infantry has one unit to go and you siege a city, you auto-resolve and you lose because the computer took into account the 'missing rifleman'. Don't know if it's happened to you, but sure has happened to me.
    Solution: Don't auto-resolve...

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon's Febreeze View Post
    Solution: Don't auto-resolve...
    Hmm, I'll try, but I don't like the siege system in ETW and NTW. Very shabby and no improvement. M2TW's system was fabulous, CA need to bring that back.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I like it but I wish it was more dependent on actually being in a city/town and having a supply depot in a region.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Hmm, I'll try, but I don't like the siege system in ETW and NTW. Very shabby and no improvement. M2TW's system was fabulous, CA need to bring that back.
    I know I hate siege battles they take too long and they are so unrealistic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast