Thread: dwarven flame cannon

Default dwarven flame cannon

Hi all guys, 1st of all to say this is the greatest mod (after applying a few submods from the community) ever made for TW, definitely up on par with TATW if not more amazing =).

The question is if theres a way to mod the way the flame cannon affects the morale of hit troops. i changed the EDU morale to values of 7-12 and found out how a single cannon makes to auto flee full armies!

I checked the effects of the greek_fire but didnt find the part where it affects enemy morale (thats what id like to remove).

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: dwarven flame cannon

The morale hit is based on the casualties taken in a set period of time.

For example, a sudden loss of 50% soldiers in a unit will be much more damaging in terms of morale that a loss of 80% soldiers in the unit over prolonged period of time.

Firearm personal weapons and flaming arrows cause additional morale loss, which is hardcoded.

I don't know, but personally doubt the same applies for siege engines (maybe except flaming projectiles, but most probably effect is caused by severity of caused damage and not the type of projectile alone).

Artillery should actually cause entire armies to rout, but if that doesn't suit your taste, increase the morale of all units by a set value, like 5.

As a side effect, cavalry charges, infantry flanking and wearing down the enemy will become less effective, because morale will be less important as a whole.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post

Artillery should actually cause entire armies to rout, but if that doesn't suit your taste, increase the morale of all units by a set value, like 5.

As a side effect, cavalry charges, infantry flanking and wearing down the enemy will become less effective, because morale will be less important as a whole.
    Much thanks for your answer, but yeah, thats exactly what i dont want to do, increasing morale of all units so other battle effects get nulified too...

If the issue is caused because of the huge number of casualties in a short time im gonna try reducing the attack values of the cannon..Thanks again )

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Actually, attack value of cannons doesn't affect the battles much if at all, but it does give the cannons artificial 'power' over auto-resolve based on high attack value.

They cause high casualties due to area of effect attacks as well as incendiary/body-piercing properties. If you nerf their accuracy, you end up with artillery shooting itself or your own troops. If you mess with the other projectile properties, game might not boot or projectiles might become useless compared to what they are now.

I didn't play campaign much and don't know if there is any kind of artillery spam in it, but making the artillery have slower replenishment pools during campaign and have higher cost/upkeep should balance the things out. There is also a balance submod, perhaps it addresses this kind of issues, too? Personally I didn't find artillery much of use mainly due to very hilly terrain across the place.

Either way, it's best to simply make back ups and experiment with stuff on your own, you will either fix the problem until satisfactory results or learn more about artillery.
    Last edited by Achilla; March 15, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.