Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being confined to 1 theatre sucks

Default Being confined to 1 theatre sucks

Yesterday I had a friend over who wanted to try NTW, so he bought it to play it on my computer (he only has a laptop, i have a gaming PC). So we installed the game, installed a few mods and started a game with the Batavian Republic (being Dutch ourselves). And we ended the entire campaign in one night, conquering England and Scandinavia and a few german states. France had taken the whole of europe besides spain and the ottomans. And I must say, it was in effect the most boring TW experience i had ever had.

The map, although big, just focuses on Europe. Its ridiculous you cant go into Norway, or North Africa, or America. I always visioned TW games to be about reshaping history, but this is just one scripted event. After the campaign, we both had no intention ever to start a new one up again. I really like the new campaign map, it looks pretty, and some game mechanics work very well, at least better opposed to Empire. But playing a campaing which spans only a few years situated in a confined area of space just takes the whole scope of grandeur out of the game.

I really hope CA gets it right next time, but NTW will be removed from my HD to be never played again.

Default Re: Being confined to 1 theatre sucks

Not for everyone i guess ah well cya thanks for coming enjoy another game

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

+ een

DimondLight's Avatar Senator

It's your own fault, should have thought of that when you bought NAPOLEON Total War.
    Proud American

tHERE ARE SOME PERHAPS WHO THOUGHT THAT NAPOLEON INVADED ALL THE WORLD! I REMEMBER SOMEONE WHO POSTED ONE DAY A TOPIC: WHY THERE IS NO INDIA?

Indeed, think when you buy NTW that there is little chance you have natives, tanks, astralian army etc. So pity?

What? There was no helicopter at waterloo?

Well as much as ETW has been criticized, you can't say it didn't raise expectations in subsequent TW games.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

ETW is a brilliant premiss for a tw game it was just poorly executed I love NTW but wont deny i would enjoy it had it been done as 1800s total war with all the goodies of NTW done in a more global setting but as is would rather a smaller amount of quality than a larger amount of bugs but meh thats just me

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Indeed Napoleon total war = Europe , what a suprise
    But you can play with difrent factions, and in a short time (i think) we can play a new dlc..

ps: (niet zo negatief doen, je kon toch van te voren weten dat Napoleon in Europa zich afspeeld?)
    Also Dutch :p
    CPU: E8500
    Memory: 4GB
    Videocard: GTX 275 Twin Frozer
    Hardisk: Spinpoint 640 GB
    Vista 64 Bit

Yeah well, its not like I really wanted the game in the first place. But having played it, all my suspicions I had beforehand were confirmed. If only Empire was made with NTW tech, that would've been something.

Now I'm just hoping for a Rome: III or something, I'm done with the boring musketfights. Or I'll just abandon the series altogether, it's been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JanWilm View Post
    Yeah well, its not like I really wanted the game in the first place. But having played it, all my suspicions I had beforehand were confirmed. If only Empire was made with NTW tech, that would've been something.

Now I'm just hoping for a Rome: III or something, I'm done with the boring musketfights. Or I'll just abandon the series altogether, it's been fun.
    Sounds like you are just looking for excuses to rag on NTW and CA. Abandon TW if you like, I don't think you'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Sounds like you are just looking for excuses to rag on NTW and CA. Abandon TW if you like, I don't think you'll be missed.
    Why are we so negative about CA, I mean come on.. we all love CA
    Vista 64 Bit

Nope, it doesn't for me. N:TW is, all in all, splendidly done and a extremely solid game from my point of view. Never understood the importance of theaters. call me eurocentristic, but i firmly believe that in the years from 1789 - 1815 the old continent was the place to be if you were into the whole "major powers ripping each other a new one" thing.

Sorry, but North America and India were well suited theaters in E:TW (which was a rather lackluster game sadly), in N:TW i can't help but see them out of place. Not that i'm strongly against them (why bash more content?), but i definitly don't need them to have fun.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

I think Napoleon TW is a great game ... but agree that TW games have always been about making your own history. If the Egyptian Campaign had worked out well ... Napoleon in India would not have been a ridiculous idea. The scripting is good as well as it makes the game harder ... after all you don't have to follow the script ... it just keeps the AI on track. I have heard that if you continue after 1812 or 1815 (whatever the end date is ... I have not gotten that far) that the script runs out and the coalition falls apart so you get what you want, I think this actually hurts the game though I say keep the coalition together until Napoleon is defeated ... even if takes to 1830!

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

I remember a game called Alexander Total war or such where I could not invade America or Norway either.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔'s Avatar Wyrd biõ ful ãræd

It would have been nice if, playin' as France you could have took control of the Tipu Sutans Mysore & fight the Brit's in India.
    This was gonna be the next stop for Napoleon after Egypt who sent Frence officers to train the Tipus men in a euro style.

As I've said on another thread about India :

"At the battle of 'Seringapatam' a French colour was captured by the British from some 360 French soldiers fighting along side the soldiers of Mysore."

Ok Napoleon wasn't there but Wellington was so I think it would have been (& still could be as DLC) a nice addition.
    Last edited by ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔; March 15, 2010 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    I remember a game called Alexander Total war or such where I could not invade America or Norway either.
    Rofl jup indeed mate Alex was to lazy to qouncer america or norway
    Vista 64 Bit

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

How many times do you need to be told this is not Wellington Total war?

It would make more sense to have shown the Caribean with Haiti and all the fighting that took place there between French troops and the locals than a hypothetical what if about India.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔'s Avatar Wyrd biõ ful ãræd

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    How many times do you need to be told this is not Wellington Total war?

It would make more sense to have shown the Caribean with Haiti and all the fighting that took place there between French troops and the locals than a hypothetical what if about India.
    Your missing the point.
    If you want to stick to history play the Napoleon campaigns,or tick the history option in the coalition game.
    But in the basic coalition campaign you are rewriting history as you want it. You fight against factions that in history you would have been allied, so why not have other theatres in this ?
    Last edited by ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔; March 15, 2010 at 09:13 AM.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

bye

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I really like the campaign map but I think it would have been a touch better if they would have included Malta(as a province), North Africa, Egypt, Anatolia, Cyprus, Palestine, and maybe at least a port for Gotland, Sweden.

Basically this map
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast