Thread: Raiding / Ambushing army

Default Raiding / Ambushing army

Hello guys,

I'd like your thoughts on what would be a good setup as a raiding / ambushing army.

Horse with "paths seldom trod" ability are obviously a good choice since they can run further than anything else with less chances of being spotted.

Light inf is cheap, hides easily and are generally handy.

I'd stay away from artillery for obvious reasons and don't really feel like dragging line inf along.
    I also have the impression that your average general doesn't hide/ambush half as easily as those units on their own - i'm talking about the campaign map ofc, since generals can't hide in battles -

So yes, i'd like your thoughts on what army you would create to ambush enemies or go raid into their territory; it has to be cheap but cost-effective.

Default Re: Raiding / Ambushing army

A lot of small fast units are better for raids. I don’t know if I would use a whole army.

For ambush that is a different story. Units that can hide anywhere are good if you are facing weak forces but if you are trying to knock off full stacks you had better be loaded for bear. Just take a good balanced force and hide in light woods or what the heck, those men are expensive. Take the cities and keep going.

Primicerius

Note that in NTW, units with "paths seldom trod" ability can hide ANYWHERE. You can have that unit sitting on your enemy's road, raiding trade and still remain invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Note that in NTW, units with "paths seldom trod" ability can hide ANYWHERE. You can have that unit sitting on your enemy's road, raiding trade and still remain invisible.
    This is interesting. Do they do the hide animation on the campaign map? If you include a general does it affect their ability to hide since the general unit doesn't have "paths seldom trod"?

I've noticed that my general hides (and he does go in some sort of crouch) when he's in a forrest on the campaign map, but i don't know how his skill mingles with the paths seldom trod.

And yeh, i keep forgetting that i can raid land trade routes now as well ^^'

thx for the advice so far, and yes redhue i know they are not as handy as a full army taking towns (i play aggressively so that's not a prob) but I like the idea of having them defend an area or letting half stacked army think this is a weak spot in my defenses...

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Fotchimus View Post
    This is interesting. Do they do the hide animation on the campaign map? If you include a general does it affect their ability to hide since the general unit doesn't have "paths seldom trod"?
    Yes, the ones with paths seldom trod ability go into crouching position anywhere in the strat map. Just wait a second or two (they do not do crouching right away after finishing their move). On a side note, this ability makes scouting ahead of the main army a very viable and sound tactic whereas it was rather useless in the previous TW titles.

So, for making paths seldom trod a valuable gameplay element, CA!

Oh yes, DO NOT add a general to a unit that you intend to hide in plain sight! Generals can hide only in the 'usual' hiding places: light woods, to be more exact.
    Last edited by Slaists; March 16, 2010 at 01:49 PM.

Hmm...i think ambush is kinda fun...i managed to accidentally ambush French reinforcements...decimated the force and killed the General...5 cannons 3 Jaegers and 4 fusiliers on both sides with Grenadiers to cut off the escape routes along with Lancers...could have been more fun with howitzers because i like fireworks
    Killed the General in first 2 seconds with 20 round shots surely one will hit him
    The Infantries will create some confussion from both flanks will i rain cannon balls on the central formation...

Well there was one thing u can do...fake an ambush that is or what i call it. I had happened on Napolean and his reinforcement. I was bigger in size of course. Had 6 more units than he did. His reinforcement was a single Fusilier. I moved in the middle and engaged the fusilier unit guessing that Nappy will reinforce the unit from my rear...deployed the cannon backwards 6 12lbs or canister shot, fusiliers on flamks and lines beside the cannons... sadly i did not kill each and everyone pellets could not penetrate deep into the forest where they emerged...Nappy was first to die in a Hail of pellets from 12lbs

Civis

Well if you want an army that can move further per turn than a pursuing enemy army, then it has to consist entirely of light inf light cav and horse arty, and have a general who has forced march ability. This type of army (6-8 units) can be effective for raiding and looting the undefended southeren territories of france while keeping ahead of the pursuing french army. Try and hide in woods between turns so they cant find you. I did this against a human opponent as austria and it worked a treat. Looted about 6 regions, dismantled every building then gave them to his allies including spain. He was so desperate to get them back that he declared war on spain who then returned the favour by sinking his entire navy and trade fleet and sending several armies into france. Also the fact he betrayed an ally meant his other main ally Batavia turned on him and invaded from the north. And even when he did get the regions back they were worthless having no buildings or wealth remaining.