Thread: Priests? Religion?

Default Priests? Religion?

In all the Total War games Religion has played such a big role in public order and other things. We used to be able to recruit priests and send them into other settlements to cause unrest and to convert our own settlements to our religion. Now we don't have the choice to recruit priests or spawn them. I don't want to come across as a ultra-religious faggot but, back then religion played a big role in people's lives. The Papal States can't even recruit priests for 's sakes!! Any ideas why they weren't included?

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Priests? Religion?

It's 1805.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

No but I also thought it was pretty silly. I felt like why even include what religion a region is if it has zero bearing on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    It's 1805.
    So? Especially during the Industrial Revolution, the old Emperors of Europe wouldn't give in easily to these new concepts.
    Last edited by Marshy; March 14, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

6-7 years just isn't a large enough time frame to convert a nation.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    It's 1805.
    And good luck converting even 10% of the population in the timeframe of the game. Remember we're talking about 7 years here
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

Lets see. We capture a region in early march. Our Priest has probably learned enough of the local language to order takeout and get his laundry done by late march. By Late May he's probably made some friends of the local expatriates, and probably goes barhopping with them on weekends. Sometime in June he's probably learned enough of the grammatical structure and verbiage to be able to communicate the basics of his religious beliefs. So far that's been at least 7 turns and he hasn't even begun proselytizing. Also, if you've ever argued politics with your diehard conservative grandfather you'll know just how hard it is to convert people from believing in one thing to believing in another. Frankly I'm surprised we as a species don't believe in animal spirits and ritual sacrifice still.. But I guess that just proves how good a P.R. guy Jesus was.

Faiakas's Avatar Tiro

If you want priests amd religion then medieval I and II are your games

yes well religion was a hugely important part of those games as it was say catholic priests that kept you in good with the pope so you could do things like well call a crusade (number of crusades in the 1800s um 0)

Religion may have been an important part of the life styles (still is today ) but no longer is it truely a factor of war, politics is the religion of the 1800s and as such gentlemen do the job of priests to a lesser extent by causing grief in a opposing nations settlements kinda like a priest converting the population would in med2.

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

As stated, religion was not a significant factor in Napoleon's time frame and there simply isn't enough time for it to plausibly have one.

The influence of religion was in serious decline at the time anyway. Nothing would have such an effect on national policy again until national and racial hatred, unfortunately.

Damn Charles Darwin and his invention of racism! [/Ben Stein][/sarcasm]