Thread: I need some help

Default I need some help

Alright, so i just joined and all, but i've been coming here for a while downloading mods and such for RTW, but after my recent upgrade to my computer i've been getting horrid performance, BTW im not computer blunt or anything, im a computer tech so i know my rig should be able to max this game out with ease.
    My Rig:
    AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.74
    2x 4850 @ 680/1103 (In CrossfireX)
    4gb Ocz DDR3 Memory @ 1470
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P

So my rig isnt anything to be laughed at, i mean i can max out Crysis at 40 fps and 2xAA, btw my monitor res is 1440x900. If i lower AA in game it just gets worse graphics (Obviously) and i only gain 2 frames, so that doesnt matter, but the game already does not look great and with it maxed even on a battle with 4000 troops it lags like hell, so when im in a really big battle (ie using Roma Serrectum) with 8000 or more, i only get about 10-20 fps, Medieval II is a bit better but not by much. So, if any of you have found a fix, or a way to make it work with semi-good performance, please help me out. Thanks

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: I need some help

The game is old by today's standards.

It only uses one cpu core and one gpu core and is not optimzed good for a machine ten years old, much less yours or mine. You have found the limitations of both Rome and Medieval2.

Either way, if its only using 1 core, then its still using a 3.74 Ghz core, with a newer arcitechure than the old cores, so its still around three times faster than any cpu they had then

I can run RTW/BI and M2TW/Kingdoms and any of the mods maxxed and there are places that will lag no matter what. They both use the same basic engine. On the campaign map using the mouse to scroll, it will lag on mountains and forests. I haven't tried siege battles with stone castles and large cities but there are reports of lag there with all settings maxxed and huge armies. Even the 32bit units made by modders that beat what CA made for the game won't challenge what is possible in Empire or Naoleon on Ultra for detail.

It's a slowpoke hasbeen.

How dows that help me?

It doesn't. It's just an explanation of the game's limits even if your computer's logo says Cray. There is no way to optimize it and get anyomer out it ecxept to redo the hardcode. You have all the game has to offer and you and many others come up lacking.

It's the game, not the computer or the computer builder

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    It doesn't. It's just an explanation of the game's limits even if your computer's logo says Cray. There is no way to optimize it and get anyomer out it ecxept to redo the hardcode. You have all the game has to offer and you and many others come up lacking.

It's the game, not the computer or the computer builder
    You do realise that, computers can, and most gaming PCs are, be home built right? Most gamers order the parts individually, and build it them selves, its a lot cheaper that way

On Topic: Thanks for the input, and in the Empire Total War Demo i have it all maxed out with no lag whatso ever

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

You will find that the ETW game engine is a lot newer than the RTW one and does take advantage of more modern machines. Although when first released ETW didn't take advantage of multiple cores or even decent graphics cards (I had a two GTX280s in SLI and the game had error messages about not enough video memory).

Anyway, the things that you can do to try and improve performance is have a look at the services that are running on your system and use msconfig to stop the unwanted services. You could always use IOBIT's Game Booster software to put your machine into 'gaming mode' : http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Hey, at least you aren't trying to play Shogun or Medieval Total War with a Nvidia card - both take exception to anything other than dated cards (8 series onwards).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    You will find that the ETW game engine is a lot newer than the RTW one and does take advantage of more modern machines. Although when first released ETW didn't take advantage of multiple cores or even decent graphics cards (I had a two GTX280s in SLI and the game had error messages about not enough video memory).

Anyway, the things that you can do to try and improve performance is have a look at the services that are running on your system and use msconfig to stop the unwanted services. You could always use IOBIT's Game Booster software to put your machine into 'gaming mode' : http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Hey, at least you aren't trying to play Shogun or Medieval Total War with a Nvidia card - both take exception to anything other than dated cards (8 series onwards).
    Its not that my system resources are full, my CPU gets at max to like 30 %, its the lack of use for my system resources that angers me, and disallows good performance, i have the demo for ETW and i have it maxed out perfectly fine, with 2xAA and 2xAF

It's the game, not the computer.

Citizen

It doesn't matter if the resources are not full - getting rid of some services is one way to help.

As has been posted before - you can't compare a game that was released over 5 years ago with one that is only twelve months old. With ETW many people were complaining that they were not getting a decent frame rate when the machines that they had could handle Crysis easily. It's just that the underlying engines are so different.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    It doesn't matter if the resources are not full - getting rid of some services is one way to help.

As has been posted before - you can't compare a game that was released over 5 years ago with one that is only twelve months old. With ETW many people were complaining that they were not getting a decent frame rate when the machines that they had could handle Crysis easily. It's just that the underlying engines are so different.
    that doesnt make sense in this case, i said that in the ETW Demo i can max it out at a steady 50-60 fps but in Rome i'm lucky if i get 10-20 fps in a battle with more than 3000 people, but whatever the people at CA must be dumbasses to not realize people still play this game, and to not patch it

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kevlo View Post
    that doesnt make sense in this case, i said that in the ETW Demo i can max it out at a steady 50-60 fps but in Rome i'm lucky if i get 10-20 fps in a battle with more than 3000 people, but whatever the people at CA must be dumbasses to not realize people still play this game, and to not patch it
    What bit about different game engines don't you understand?

There is no way that CA are going to patch RTW so it can run on more recent PCs.

I presume that the ETW demo is not a patched version of ETW. So, you may find a difference in the performance of these.

As this thead is going nowhere (and you've already been given some advice which you've discarded) - closed.