Thread: Window 7 Missing mss32.dll file

Default Window 7 Missing mss32.dll file

I managed to install RTW (works fine) and BI but as soon as I go to start BI, Im told Im missing the mss32.dll file and to re-install the program (which I have)

The file exists inside the RTW folder
    I have disabled UAC
    I have tried running in Windows XP (SP2) compatability mode

All to no avail so far

Ive seen previous posts about how it part of the Miles Sound System and that it should be downloaded.
    My question is download from where safely and where should I install it or could I simply copy the one from the RTW folder?

System spec: Intel Core i5 cpu M430 @2.27 GHz, 4GB RAM and 64 bit operating system

Im no techie, so please provide aan "idiot proof" answer if possible

Many thanks
    Last edited by Clearchus of Sparta; March 14, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Semi-Retired RTR Developer and Researcher
    Dont get into a fight if there is nothing to win

Default Re: Window 7 Missing mss32.dll file

Ok, it seems that I have two program folders, both of which appear to have RTW & BI

Program Files
    Program Files (x86)

Both folders have RTW & BI apparently installed

Not sure what the difference is, but anyway, I have put copies of the MSS32.DLL file into both RTW and BI subfolders.
    Now it fails to initialise 3d audio... I have a Realtek High Definition Audio Device

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

If you installed the old three cd set, with the UAC disabled, you should only have Rome installed in Program Files (x86). Did you pick the install path or just use the default?

I have Win7 Pro 64bit with UAC disabled and the only RTW?BI folder I have is C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision.

I would call it a bad install and do it , again. If you decide to, pick a place like C:\Games.

I have had no problems with the default location but others have.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    If you installed the old three cd set, with the UAC disabled, you should only have Rome installed in Program Files (x86). Did you pick the install path or just use the default?
    Yes its the three disk set and I just used the default path for RTW.
    RTW is working (shows version 1.0) so I know BI is not updating RTW

I did a complete re-install of both RTW (checked its working) and BI, but the BI installation is not giving me the option of where to install.

I have also tried making the Program Files (x86) path and the Program Files copies of each other
    I copied the MSS32.DLL file into all RTW & BI Folders (not the subfolders like data)
    The RTW folder in the (x86) folder also had a "Miles" folder so I have coped this to the other Program Files RTW Folder.

Im "Running as Administrator" when trying to start BI

I can now see the "Sega" opening screen, but can get no further

I could try another re-installation in another location but Im not currently at my laptop and wont be for a few hours.

Cheers for the advice so far, much appreciated.
    When I have this resolved, Im going to keep notes on the steps required as Im sure as more people will have the same issue.

I now have managed to sucessfully install BI

Here is my windows 7 solution in case anyone stumbles this thread.

Goto the [Programs Files (x86)] folder and create a new folder called [GAMES]
    Go in the new [GAMES] folder and create a new folder [Rome Total War]

Insert your disks and when prompted to select where to install, navigate to this folder and select it
    After this it can a little confusing, but accept all further defaults offered

When finished, Play RTW to confirm its working.

Insert BI disk and select Install
    I was able to accept all default prompts as the install process seemed to know where I had installed RTW
    When finished, play BI to check its working

Hope this helps someone & finally, thank you to irishron (I can see how many times this has been asked)

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

And it will be asked more. Thank you for the input.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Good to hear that you've got it to work. Some of us managed to get it to install and play first time......

It's really an easy process once you've managed it the firs time - the trick is to install RTW to the folder that you really want to install it to and don't move it before you patch it - the patch process quite often keeps the original path name which may or may not be changed (certainly for Alexander it can't be).

Things can get confusing when you use the default c:\program files (x86) folder with Vista or 7 - if you do that some files will end up in your appdata folder (game saves, replays and preferences). There was some details in the RTR tech support thread about how to use Vista - I read it before I used Vista for the first time and it helped me get around a lot of the pitfalls others have encountered. However, it appears as if that thread has been re-organized by someone in the RTR team into oblivion.

Enjoy the game (again), resolved & closed.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here