Thread: Sergeant Stripes on Units (GB)

Default Sergeant Stripes on Units (GB)

Hey,

Was wondering what happened to some units in a British regiment like in this screen shot having stripes, and some not?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Are they still in the game, but I'm playing on a lower graphical setting so they don't show?
    If this isn't the case I was wondering why all the GB Light dragoons are sergeants?
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition

Default Re: Sergeant Stripes on Units (GB)

For some units I see all men have stripes. I think Artillery.

Yeah that's right I forgot to mention
    Maybe they left it out of line units because they thought the ratio of sergeants/privates was too high?

Officer exclusive units, like the RAF used to be?

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Yeah, it looked a bit silly seeing 1 sergeant for every 2 privates in a single line regiment...

Its really funny looking at those old placeholders and how different they are to what's in the actual game...

Would be nice if units got some stripes when they get a promotion, or something, maybe just the officer, like extra banners in MTW2

Apart from the chevrons on the unit card, one can't see their experience, say, inbattle, right? Or did I miss something

It seems weird for me to see lite dragoons filled with sergeants, and then regular dragoons have no stripes. They are supposed to be gentlemen though right.. (at least the guard dragoons?) so they would be corporals of horse, but would still have stripes?

Anymore thoughts on the matter?

Yeah it looks ridiculous all those sergeants. I can't imagine what CA were trying to show.But most of all I hate the British armed civilians in white coats like a battalion of Cumberland shepherds. They may as well given them white yokel smocks and called them the Village Idiots.
    Last edited by Jihada; March 14, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    Yeah it looks ridiculous all those sergeants. I can't imagine what CA were trying to show.But most of all I hate the British armed civilians in white coats like a battalion of Cumberland shepherds. They may as well given them white yokel smocks and called them the Village Idiots.
    They did that to make them stand out from "trained" units.

Actually, I like the white uniforms for civillians. It resembles the faituges regulars wore during training. It takes no leap of the imagination to presume that in panic the men were drafted into the local fencibles or maybe ordered to the depot of the local regiment.. Hastily sworn in, issued fatigues to do some basic training... The besieging army arrives quicker than expected or launches an assault whilst the men are training. In desperation, they are thrown into the line anyway, red coats or not. The look a damnsite better than the civillian mobs with those funny beards CA seemed obsessed with using on all their officers and various line units in etw.

Awesome I just wonder how some of them get the 'officer's hat..

'John and Roger were scrambling for some kind of shako as the enemy closed in, but in their dismay they only found officers hats...
    "I dare ya" says John'

Can someone please tell my why all light dragoons for GB are sergeants? (or corporal of horse)

Amazing Horse's Avatar Civis

Considering the short lifespan of the average NTW soldier, I'd say that promotions are fairly common among the ranks.

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by brucedickenson View Post
    Can someone please tell my why all light dragoons for GB are sergeants? (or corporal of horse)
    Im glad you mentioned Cororal of the Horse. There where no Sergents as that word derives from Servants, and as they where all well up in Society they found it demeening to be associated whith or called a Servant. Just some useless trivia for you.

As far as your Question. Sorry no idea. Just another CA mystery, maybe the only reference material they had was a picture of a "Corporal of the Horse"
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Horse View Post
    Considering the short lifespan of the average NTW soldier, I'd say that promotions are fairly common among the ranks.

So a lot of line infantry men might be promoted to a sergeant in the light dragoons?

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

Its the random dude thing, it affects the stripes aswell as everything else