Thread: The Hussites

Default The Hussites

The Hussites

Husitští Sudličníci (Hussite Halberders)
    Like many other Hussite weapons, the Sudlice halberd was a modified farming tool. Originally a scythe with the snead put forward, Hussite smiths often made an altenate version of the weapon with two points to the sides thus looking like "ears". The result was a terrifying and deadly weapon that could easily sever limbs. The length of the Sudlice meant that men wielding the weapon could easily attack from Hussite Wagon while protected from both knights and missile weapons.

Husitští Cepníci (Hussite Flailmen)
    The flail was another Hussite weapon adapted from an agricultural tool. Flails were bound with iron and provided with spikes. The head was tied with long shaft by short chain. Such a weapon could easily penetrate any armour.

Píšťaličníci (Pipers)
    These early firearms were euphemistically known as pipes. They had a gauge of between 26-30 mm and were therefore capable piercing the armour of knights. When stationed on Hussite wagons, the gunners were not only afforded greater protection but improved accuracy as they could stabilize the long pipe on the side of the wagon.

Credits:

Models and textures by Dome

Research by Resurrection

Created in collaboration with the Magyar Mod
    Last edited by sumskilz; March 13, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Default Re: The Hussites

always love domes work and this is top of his career he made

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

This is the best!

thanx guys!

d.

romy's Avatar Semisalis

I... just love it , top-quality!
    R.I.P. Calvin

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

Mad rep!

How the hell were those shields put together?

Lots of research I assume.

But the textures...the textures!

Quote Originally Posted by DekuTrash View Post
    How the hell were those shields put together?

Lots of research I assume.

But the textures...the textures!
    Here's an image that Dome posted in the Magyar Mod forum:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You can see that he based many of the details on elements from actual museum pieces.
    Last edited by sumskilz; March 21, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Really great job, but on the pics there are some small inaccuracies.
    1. the flailmen (cepníci) - on the pics it´s not hussite flail. The "head" of the hussite flail was flexible (or how to say - look: http://www.husitstvi.cz/vyzbroj1.php Nr. 8) This was the weapon made from agricultural tool, therefore the most numerous. Nr. 9 and 10 as well, but not the three weapons on your pic.
    2. pipers (píšťaly) - were bigger and weight more. On your pics the pipers are thin like broomsticks. It was 2H weapon I think, when someone wants to shoot, he must lean it on pavise or wagon and the other side (the pipers stock) lean on their own armpit. On your pics it looks like harquebus (hákovnice). (http://ao-institut.cz/texty/Ceske-de...e-husitske.jpg First from left is piper, fourth from right is harquebus - but IMO the scale isn´t same)

1. the flailmen (cepníci) - on the pics it´s not hussite flail. The "head" of the hussite flail was flexible
    Yeah we know. The problem is that we don't have an animation for the correct flail. There are a lot of important animations missing from vanilla and we don't as yet have an animator on our team.

Having the pipers use their weapons two-handed while still retaining their pavises is also an animation problem. Look at how the pavise crossbowmen work in vanilla and you'll see that it is not right at all.

very naturalistic units

PyrrhusofEpirus's Avatar Foederatus

Wow. These look great. Some of the best units I have seen for any mod, really unique. I've never heard of the Hussites before - I think I'll go and do some reading on them.

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

Awesome!

Very nice work. Sumskilz, and what about the wagon? Are you going to use these created by Dome? Some screenshots please please...

Sumskilz, and what about the wagon? Are you going to use these created by Dome?
    Yeah

Some screenshots please please...
    Dome gave me the model to check out, but I think he might want to preview it for Magyar Mod first. You can ask him if he has any ingame shots yet: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=583

Nice, that's so beautiful I want to have sex with it.
    Last edited by Ye_Olde_Bastard; December 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Okay.

Thanks.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ye_Olde_Bastard View Post
    Nice, that's so beautiful I want to have sex with it.
    That's just what the Emperor Segismund said. What happened then is history.

And thus, the Austrians were born!
    This space intentionally left blank.

♔Charles the Bold♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

These are awesome, always liked the Hussites. Will scripted Hussites, such as Jan Zizka and Prokop the Great appear? (I should probably ask this in the scripted characters thread, but you know )