Thread: You decide: new historical battles for DotS

Meister Röhrich's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: You decide: new historical battles for DotS

Quote Originally Posted by brennas View Post
    Yes, you should.
    Si si, soy un muchacho muy estupido!

Good, source, spanish emperor! dónde lo has encontrado?
    the wonderful place called the internet through google.

Si si, soy un muchacho muy estupido!
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

The Battle of Gestilren

The year is 1210, Gestilren, Westgeatland, Sweden.

After centuries of war between rival families, only three big remains.

The house of sverker, the house of erik, and the folkungarna.

Sverker, has the danes with him, as he tries to invade geatland, home of the erikarna and Folkungarna.
    At gestrilen, all will be decided, who will lead sweden, who will unite it.

Not sure if this battle is Historicaly corect, not sure if the danes actualy hellped "The house of sverker" in this battle, whatt I know is this was the first time the swedish(the house of erik, and the folkungarna) used the mass firing of arows(not sure what its called) and that was one of the winning concepts why they won the battle.

Will see if I can find more info about this battle, but this is said that this is the battle that hellped form sweden into what it is today.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Har man sett lite Arn kanske?

haha trodde inte du va svensk!

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Har man sett lite Arn kanske?
    haha jo, både "Jan G"s Arn documentärer och Arn filmen. Svårt att få fram någon information om den striden doc(om det nu finns någon i historieböckerna). Skulle ändå vara lite roligt ialafal

The Battle of Hattin!! WE NEED that battle. So critical it is.

Quote Originally Posted by maximius serbus View Post
    The Battle of Kosovo. It was a battle between Serbs and the Ottoman Empire in 1389
    Unfortunately we don't have a Serbian faction, we could make them rebels though, but I don't think you'd appreciate that somehow

We can still make the battlefield though
    well there were hungarian units too, so I think it wouldnt be a problem to create
    also we fought alongside the serbs many times

My wish is:

Battle of sava river 1167
    Battle of Muhi 1241
    Battle of Morvamező(marschegg) 1278
    Battle of Nikápoly 1396
    Battle of Nandorfehérvér(belgrade) 1456

Quote Originally Posted by dome View Post
    I really vote for this one too! Janos Hunyadi defending Belgrade against the Turkish hordes a good choice, I think. Also, it is written Nandorfehérvar or Nandorfehérvér?

Quote Originally Posted by IIGaneshaII View Post
    haha trodde inte du va svensk!
    Det är jag inte heller. Stolt Anglo-Saxon i Götet

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by dome View Post
    well there were hungarian units too, so I think it wouldnt be a problem to create
    also we fought alongside the serbs many times

My wish is:

Battle of sava river 1167
    Battle of Muhi 1241
    Battle of Morvamező(marschegg) 1278
    Battle of Nikápoly 1396
    Regarding Hungarian battles, you can't leave out Mohacs in 1526, a disastrous loss for the Hungarians, but nonetheless an extremely important victory for the Turks. After Mohacs, the Kingdom of Hungary essentially lost its sovereignty and the Turks had reached the furthest into Europe they would ever get. It was also a battle well fought on both sides, the Hungarian cavalry charge was one of the most valiant in the countries history, even though it was still insufficient against the Turkish artillery.

I would love to play as Pál Tomori and beat the turks... change history
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Unfortunately it is out of our mod campaign dates.

I would like to see
    Battle of Alnwick (1093) Northumberland, England. Occurred on 13 November 1093, Malcolm III of Scotland, also known as Malcolm Canmore, was killed together with his son Edward, by an army of knights led by Robert de Mowbray.

Battle of Renfrew in 116
    The army of King Malcolm IV of Scotland (Malcolm IV) led by Walter fitz Alan was attacked by forces led by Somerled mac Gillebride, King of the Isles and Somerled slain.

Battle of Dupplin Moor in 1332 a significant battle of the Second War of Scottish Independence.
    Fought between supporters of the infant David II, the son of Robert the Bruce, and rebels supporting the Balliols. The Scots originated the tactics the English would use in the Hundred Years War such as at Agincourt. Forcing terrain and use of missiles on armoured troops.
    "more were slain by the Scots themselves than by the English. For rushing forward on each other, each crushed his neighbour, and for every one fallen there fell a second, and then a third fell, and those who were behind pressing forward and hastening to the fight, the whole army became a heap of the slain."
    Last edited by Hengest; April 06, 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor27 View Post
    Manzikert but how do we simulate the desertion of the Doukas faction?
    I've always thought, imho, that such battles are better portrayed in mini campaigns where there is more options. That way, not only do you have an opportunity to change tactics of the battle but strategy of the campaign.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

maurogti's Avatar Foederatus

The Battle of Aljubarrota !!!

A battle between the forces commanded by the Portuguese King João I and one of the greatest Portuguese general's of the Portuguese History, Nuno Álvares Pereira with their english allies, against the army of the Castillian King Juan I and their aragonese, italian and french allies.

This battle took place on 14 August 1385.
    ...Be whitout fear in the face of your enemies, speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death, safeguard the helpless and do no wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by maurogti View Post
    The Battle of Aljubarrota !!!

A battle between the forces commanded by the Portuguese King João I and one of the greatest Portuguese general's of the Portuguese History, Nuno Álvares Pereira with their english allies, against the army of the Castillian King Juan I and their aragonese, italian and french allies.

This battle took place on 14 August 1385.
    And your holy English allies helping...you didn´t make the work alone

MOjok's Avatar Laetus

Maybe battle of Vorskla of River(1399) beetween Lithuanians (supported by Poles,Teutonic Orderand Tokhtamysh forces) and the Golden Horde. Vutautas lost quite badly and it stopped his push to east-south Europe, also some rebels occured ind Grand Duchy.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Battle of Mohi Heath, 1241, where the Hungarians under King Bela IV lost to the Mongols, potentially leaving eastern Europe wide open to the new superpower
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

And your holy English allies helping...you didn´t make the work alone
    They probably would have won anyway- everyone knows the Castillians are too busy eating acetunas to fight

Battle of the Ice in 1242.
    The Teutons are not invade to Rus land.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

If the battle of Mohacs does not work, how about Varna in 1444? It was the final ever crusade (like the twentieth or something!) and was mainly the Polish and Hungarians with other crusader knights all against the Ottoman Empire. The sultan at the time was Mehmet II (the one who captured Constantinople) but he was young, and not confident, so he asked his father Murat II (who had retired after many campaigns against the Hungarians/Serbs etc) to step in and command the armies. When Murat refused, he replied with a very famous quotation: "If you are the sultan, take command of your armies. If I am the sultan, I order you to take command of my armies." Murat relented and took command. at the start of the battle, an Ottoman vanguard from the greek provinces was crushed by the heavy european knights, but when the main force arrived, the Christians could not withstand the barrage from the skilled Turkish gunners. During the battle, the Hungarian king tried to make straight for Murat, but his bodyguard fought so ferociously that the Hungarian king was actually killed! After this it was a total rout and the crusader's banner was never held up again.
    Here is a battle plan:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast