Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortuna Orbis - Description, Questions and Updates Thread

Default Re: Fortuna Orbis - Description, Questions and Updates Thread

if you can give the values of other archers it might help putting things in context. rather than increasing attack value(you can do it of course) I would suggest making them AP which is much closer to reality. the armour piercing nature was the result of arrows designed to that end and higher power rather than just higher power from reflex bows.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Boom S View Post
    that's a very good idea Quinn Inuit and CC, I was suggesting to CC to make them recruitable over 2 turns to make them less OP but this idea would work even better.

btw, isn't hydaspes considered an exceptionally bad performance for the longbowmen or am I confusing with the chariots ? Arrian (IIRC) says that the longbowmen anchored the bows on the ground (although I have no clear idea how this actually works) and they found it very difficult to do it in the muddy banks by the river.

coming to these specimen, the main difference in technique was that while other archers drew the strings up to their chest, Indian archers drew the string alongside their ear, this was the main reason in difference in drawstrength. I would suppose a 1.5 multiplier to time between shots as compared to other archers should do the trick.
    I think you're thinking the chariots. The longbowmen didn't do badly, it's just that the Companions didn't give them enough time to draw their bows. I could see the muddy ground not helping, though.

I'm not sure how that works, either, but they weren't the only ones. Xenophon records meeting a tribe in the Armenia region that did the same thing. He said their arrows were so long that the Greeks used them with their thongs as darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    How many arrows would such a longbowman be able to shoot?

I've put up the range to the maximum and the attack value by 2, and the time between attacks to 1.5 instead of 1. (balancing values are wip until I test them properly. Though I think I might post them.)
    They'd probably have fewer arrows than a normal archer, because they were so large. (See the Xenophon ref above.) I'd recommend maybe 3/4 of normal.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

this is not the book where I originally came across this point (IIRC it was a translation from one of the original histories) but it does have a point similar to the one I remember reading.

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=b...archer&f=false

He said their arrows were so long that the Greeks used them with their thongs as darts.
    with their thongs ? how does that work ?
    there are references to arrow shaped darts in Indian texts, so it fits in I guess.
    Last edited by Boom S; July 02, 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Darned if I know. Here's the reference:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

(Xenophon's Anabasis, IV, 2)
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

thanks, not that I'm much enlightened but even so !

only two possibilities cross my mind, they carried the arrows by tying them to their thongs (more likely) or they wrapped it around the arrows to get a better grip.

not sure what Xenophon meant by thong though.

thong
    –noun
    1. a strip of material, esp. of leather or hide, used to fasten or secure something.

2. a strip of leather or hide used for whipping; whiplash.

3. a shoe or slipper fastened to the foot chiefly by a strip of leather or other material passing between the first and second toes and often attaching to another strip of material, as a strap across the instep or around the ankle.

4. a brief garment for the lower body that exposes the buttocks, consisting of a strip of fabric passing between the thighs and attached to a band around the waist.

Could they have been using strips of leather as low-rent atl-atls or something?

damn, that should be it. don't know how I missed that one.
    Last edited by Boom S; July 10, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Our efforts have turned to the cavalryman. Here is the new Rajanya Asvarohi, the heavy cavalry of the Mauryan Empire.

RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

comments please people, that took some effort !

here's another snap of the cavalry. I think sword armed cavalry is a novelty on RTW ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Boom S; July 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

Last edited by Boom S; July 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: duplicate post.

Libertus

I know how the arrow/dart is used. Cut a notch out of the arrow just below the flights.Tie a knot at one end of the thong. Place the knoted end in the notch and wrap the thong around the arrow coming over and down on the knot. Keeping the thong tight pull it down to the tip of the arrow and wrap the thong around your hand until you can hold the end of the arrow. Then just through it like a stone. The ones I made when I was young where about 18 to 24 inches long and 1/2 inches wide and would fly about 100 meters. If you don't know what I'm on about go on the internet and you should be able to find pictures. This would be a good feature in the game.
    Last edited by Eamonn; July 20, 2010 at 09:00 AM.

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

I've been lurking on this one for quite a while. Great work, must've been tough getting all that detail in. +Rep to both of ya!

Yeah, it is quite cool making an all-new faction rooster. And quite a lot of work

Basically, what happens is BoomS remakes the model, sometimes drastically, sometimes not, and makes the skin look like what he wants. And then I tweak the skin so it looks even better

We hope to redo the whole Mauryan rooster.

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

I'm going to be away in France for ten days or so from tomorrow.

comments please people, that took some effort !
    You need to reattach the scabbard because it`s glitching with the body. What I can`t understand though is why do they have that outer armour(lamellar?)over an exact same type of material. Shouldn`t the body armour(the one under the covering piece) be from a less protective or more flexible material (leather, mail etc.)?

I think sword armed cavalry is a novelty on RTW ?
    It isn`t. There are plenty of them even in vanilla rtw and bi.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    You need to reattach the scabbard because it`s glitching with the body. What I can`t understand though is why do they have that outer armour(lamellar?)over an exact same type of material.
    I know about the scabbard, it's a problem that's difficult to identify in max because the model's in a standing position, in-game the thighs move up when sitting on the horse and moves through the scabbard.
    so it takes a bit of trial and error. certainly will be done in due time.

Shouldn`t the body armour(the one under the covering piece) be from a less protective or more flexible material (leather, mail etc.)?
    not necessarily, that's one way of wearing armour but this one is also possible. my reasoning is that armour on the inside has large gaps in protection around the shoulder area and under the arms. the over-armour is basically meant to protect these gaps. I'm sure I've seen armour worn in this fashion.

It isn`t. There are plenty of them even in vanilla rtw and bi.
    hmm, I can't seem to remember many.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    I'm going to be away in France for ten days or so from tomorrow.
    good, give us a shout when you are done conquering the gauls.

thanks for the comments everyone, especially NightEye for the nice ones.
    Last edited by Boom S; July 21, 2010 at 09:41 AM.

Carados's Avatar Senator

hmm, I can't seem to remember many.
    There's the Galatian cavalry for starters. The Beoudin cavalry also use swords as well.
    Developer for the Extended Realism mod for RTR Platinum.
    Developer for RTRVII and protégé of Caligula Caesar

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

The higher tier Parthian and Scythian Horse do an okay job as close-in sword as well. The only sword cavalry that's actually effective are the galatian noble cav of RTR though.

Quote Originally Posted by NightEye View Post
    The higher tier Parthian and Scythian Horse do an okay job as close-in sword as well. The only sword cavalry that's actually effective are the galatian noble cav of RTR though.
    strange thing is I was reading up a little on roman equites and it says at one place that they carried swords to battle ! in RTW they all have spears ! xenophon of course recommends a persian sword.

btw, here's the updated unit, the glitch with the scabbard has been corrected and I changed the colour of the trousers because the earlier one was too flashy !

xenophon of course recommends a persian sword.
    Not the kopis?