Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728

Thread: Fortuna Orbis - Description, Questions and Updates Thread

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default Re: Fortuna Orbis - Description, Questions and Updates Thread

...and Patch 0.9 is out

Patch 0.9
    (10/06/2013)

-Revised and added to the strat map resources for the final 66 regions (this is vital for the game’s mechanics)
    -Completed the mercenary recruitment groupings for all regions
    -Fixed a bug in the ports’ coding and lessened their (still considerable) impact
    -Redid the projectile ranges of units
    -Some tweaks to the map, the most significant of which the enlargement of the northern Terra Incognita (Hyperborea)
    -Eastern Satrapies made rebel
    -Some tweaks to the machinery of the Barbarian Minifaction
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well done Kudos to your efforts

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Congrats, it seems that you are progresing steadily to the 1.0 version

So what else needs to be done?

Essentially, some work on buildings and then a lot of balancing.

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

And then, complete?

Well there's always things that need doing on a mod like this

Very true

I've been playing the 0.9 version for a couple of days and it plays really well. I've been doing another Roma campaign, using autocalc most of the time, and I've gone to 223 BCE. I've had no CTDs, the mines and resource import buildings and the governments and colonies seem to be all working properly. Lots of fun.

So here's a comment I made on September 29, 2012, and I'd like to compare 0.9 to it:

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpoint202 View Post
    I played until the Marian reforms again with Roma (about 215 BCE this time) and then played until about 225 BCE as Macedon (auto-calculating all the battles now for speed).

1) The economy is highly dependent on trade. Highly dependent. As a result, when you go to war you may find yourself suddenly bringing in 20,000 or more per turn less than before. When I attacked Carthage as Rome, my income plummeted so drastically that I went from having 250,000 gold in the bank after building my armies, to having a 30,000 debt in about two or three years. Even with 15 well-developed integrated cities, it took a long time to recover.

I just had a similar situation with Macedon. I have about 10 highly developed provinces, but a short war with a major trading partner (the Ptolomies stabbed me in the back, then quickly gave me a cease fire and trade agreement when it didn't work out as expected), and suddenly instead of a 15,000 profit per turn, I'm losing 2,000 and it is improving very very slowly. And that is with almost my entire field army demobilized except for 6 Thureophoroi and 4 cavalry.

I've not seen anything quite like this in other mods, and I wonder if all of my trade decreases when I go to war, not just trade with my enemy. Maybe the mod should emphasize farming and taxes more.

Anyway, I now won't start a war without at least 200,000 in the bank when the first javelin is thrown.

2) I like the pricing of the units from a conceptual standpoint -- maint cost is high, so it pays to demobilize units that you won't be using for a while. Standing armies are very costly.

3) Are the hoplites and Greek light cavalry supposed to be so expensive to purchase?

4) The minor powers of North and Western Europe still do almost nothing for decade after decade.

5) I've played the various versions about 4 times now, always as Rome except this last time, and each time Seleucids collapsed in rebellion in just a few years, leaving everybody else to pick up the pieces, and the Ptolomies did very well.

Thanks again for the mod.
    1) The economy is still very highly dependent on trade, and trade still falls dramatically when you go to war. In 227 BCE I went to war with the Greeks, taking all of Greece from Pella south in three turns. At the start of the war, I had about 200,000 in the bank, my trade with the Greeks was about 5,000 per turn, my total trade was about 89,000, and my total tax revenue was about 41,000. After building up my army, I had a loss of about 25,000 per turn, so I figured I should have a few turns to go before economic calamity struck. Oh, and each of the nine cities I conquered provide about 15,000 immediate cash on conquest from slaves and looting.

On the first turn of war, my trade income immediately went from 89,000 to about 30,000. It went slowly back up, but now it is 223 BCE and my treasury is over 400,000 in the red and I'm still loosing over 40,000 per turn, with total trade at only 58,000. All I can figure to do is eliminate my garrison army in Italy (total maintenance is only about 20,000) since the one in Sicily is constantly fighting off Carthage, and the one in Greece is now fighting my back-stabbing former allies the Ptolomies.

Six of the Greek cities I hold have over 9,000 population, each has been a client kingdom for a few turns now, each is highly developed and not in revolt, and only two of them produce any trade at all for a total of about 160 revenue per turn. There is no land trade in Greece at all.

*sigh*

2) I still like it.

3) Prices look good now.

4) Minor powers are now quite active. Looks good.

5) The Seleucids again collapsed very quickly.

The trade issue is a pretty big problem IMO.

Thanks for your feedback I'm aware of the problem, I just haven't got around to fixing it. Trade is way, way, way too high at the moment. IIRC Alexandria gives the Ptolemies 19,000. The economy will need some reworking Taxes will have to be much higher, and I'll see what I can do with farming without it messing up population growth (I fear nothing is possible there).

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    Thanks for your feedback I'm aware of the problem, I just haven't got around to fixing it. Trade is way, way, way too high at the moment. IIRC Alexandria gives the Ptolemies 19,000. The economy will need some reworking Taxes will have to be much higher, and I'll see what I can do with farming without it messing up population growth (I fear nothing is possible there).
    Maybe you could add tax factors to farms, so each farm could produce food and and tax revenue. In fact, maybe you could do that with buildings that increase trade: remove or lower the trade effect, and add a tax effect. There's an awful lot of big trade bonuses in the EDB -- if they were tax bonuses instead, it might help.

Yeah, that's the idea, more or less. Trade will still exist, but it'll be less significant than taxation.

Would income be significantly damaged by war in your territory? In friendly forces damaged local agricultural economy significantly

I'm not sure how that can be represented, apart from the hit in trade income. There is a Vanilla function for income being hit by enemy armies on your land, but I don't think it is very significant.

Pity cannot it be raised, because even your own army would feed off the land

EDIT: Would it be possible to add the ethnic traits like in EB this person is a Hellene, this one is a Phoenician, a Jew...etc etc ?
    EDIT II: And perhaps rebellions, revolts and civil wars? I'm mainly thinking Seleukids because that's who I play the most, but applies to others.
    Something to represent rebelious Strategos/Satraps or family members, and the Maccabees uprising
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; August 12, 2013 at 03:13 PM.