View Poll Results: Shall this member pass?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 90.91%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

1 9.09%

Thread: [PASSED][Citizen] Ariovistus Maximus (patron: Gertrudius!)3/20/10

Gertrudius's Avatar Hans Olo

Default [PASSED][Citizen] Ariovistus Maximus (patron: Gertrudius!)3/20/10

Ariovistus Maximus
    Greetings CdeC! Gertrudius has kindly offered to support my application here.

I really enjoy this forum. It's unique structure and system of administration sets it apart from other gaming forums. It is also unique in that it is a community beyond the Total War Series. We joined to discuss a game, but discovered many other common interests. The TWC accommodates those interests through the D&D, Writer's Study, and other venues, which in some ways actually outshine the TW discussion areas. There are a great many places for a member to become involved, and many potential friends to meet.

My own interests are primarily in the Writer's Study and Discussion & Debate forums. I will list some contributions first in the Writer's Study:

- First of all, I've had the opportunity to join the Critic's Quill. I began in November of last year in Issue #14. I have contributed to each issue since then, writing a review and an article for each edition.

- I also have an AAR, "Of Destiny and Duty," that I've been working on for quite some time. It's been slow lately due to school demands, but it moves on. My AAR also took second place in MAARC XV.

- I've participated in the TotW competitions (starting at #62) and Scriptorium Writing Competitions as well. I won TotW 64 in December. I was also active in helping the staff promote those competitions. TotW 63, for example, was quite a success with 37 voters.

As I mentioned, I'm also active in the D&D forum. Here I'll list some of those activities.

- Of course I debate. Naturally, you know how opinions will be split as to the quality of my skills. Sadly we often find in debate that people's preconceptions determine their opinion of one's arguments, rather than the other way around.

Still, I've had some successful encounters. Here are a few examples:

"Assault Weapons?" (This was probably the best of all.)
    "Christians, explain this please..." (We didn't reach concensus but we cleared up some things.)
    Are Guns Needed in Self-Defense? (This was quite a decisive victory.)

I've also participated in a couple of GFC debates, here and here. It's worth mentioning (for good or bad) that the third debate I mentioned above was conducted in the GFC commentary forum.

I think it's good for a person to know their weaknesses. And I must admit, I have a rather sarcastic personality. I think that civility is a great asset to any debate. On the other hand, talking to some people is like talking to a very thick stone wall. And, to continue the metaphor, when I come up to a brick wall I take out my jackhammer. In short, when I see people trolling or meandering about without a clue, I don't shy away from strongly asserting my opinion. Pardon me, but I think that sometimes people need a verbal splash of cold water to wake them up.

As I said, this can be a weakness; it's not always appropriate. For all that, though, it's worth mentioning that I have received no warnings or infractions in my time at the TWC. Examples of these methods are here and here. I'll leave you to decide whether it is appropriate or no.

Finally, I have contributed an idea or two to the forum. First, I posted (with permission) a study of logical fallacies here, which I thought was quite useful. Here is an example of my own pontifications.

In conclusion, I think that I can be an asset to the site as a citizen, and that citizenship would enable me to help the site in new and different ways. Many thanks to Gertrudius! and the Consilium de Civitate for their time!

~Ariovistus Maximus

Gertrudius! I’ll leave the denoting of contributions to the applicant, and focus on what prompted me to offer to patronize him. First off, is that he is a debater, one of the few things on this site that I am thoroughly familiar with. But only in that I found his debating to be refreshingly straight forward, polite, and well constructed; something that is severely lacking from the D&D most of the time. Because of this healthy debate etiquette, he has been able to avoid any notes or infractions, and I believe he is a model example of a debater that deserves to rise to the rank of Citizen. This applicant has previously attempted to gain citizenship, but was denied on the grounds that his contributions were not enough to warrant the rank. Since then, he has started participating in Garb’s Fight Club, has continued to conduct a successful AAR, and has been writing for the Critic’s Quill for several months, not to mention continuing to debate. All in all, I believe that these continuing contributions warranted his reapplying, and I offered my services as patron to that end.

Take it easy,

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

omgyes

i was about to ask him

gertrudius

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [Citizen] Ariovistus Maximus (patron: Gertrudius!)

Legio

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    omgyes

i was about to ask him

gertrudius
    I asked him before one of you did , but he rejected my offer.

Seem like firm contributions to me so i will probably vote yes on this candidate. I will take a closer look though before making my final call.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

POLL ADDED
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

ITS THE VOTE VOTE ANYWHERE EVERYWHERE GANG
    VOTING THINGS ANYWHERE EVERYWHERE MANG

Gertrudius's Avatar Hans Olo

I obviously abstained.

He looks like a good candidate, I have voted yes.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

I've voted yes as well. His contributions are definitely sufficient.

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

On the TW side of the application we have the CQ contributions and a bit of promotion for a competition. The actual writing is good (TotW, AAR), but not what has been considered as contributions in the strict sense. I do think such activitiy does indeed count a bit though. The debate side is also less that what I would be looking for on it's own. I do beleive the combination is sufficient.

Yes.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

PASSED
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius