Large funds

Basic general
    5 young guards
    18th regiment with 1 xp
    6th regiment
    3 chassuers
    2 chasseurs a cheval each with 1 xp
    4 6 inch howitzers

Anything that should be added, anything spammy/ unfair? Please say what you think...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Default Re: Possible French List...

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBunny666 View Post
    Large funds

Basic general
    5 young guards
    18th regiment with 1 xp
    6th regiment
    3 chassuers
    2 chasseurs a cheval each with 1 xp
    4 6 inch howitzers

Anything that should be added, anything spammy/ unfair? Please say what you think...
    Lose the exp.
    Lose at least 1 Howitzer.
    Gain at least 1 Old Guard.
    Make sure you have an Old Guard.
    Did I mention Old Guard?

1 heavy Cav is a good idea but not essential.

Everything else looks good.

A bit weak in the cavalry department for a large funds game, in my opinion. Also, only 6 units of linemen (despite how elite they are) is again, a bit low for a large funds game. I know that you are likely relying on the howitzers in order to offset any numerical disadvantage, but I estimate that my average large funds build would outnumber yours by almost 500 men. For example as Prussia, I could bring 9 units of linemen (3 of those being Guards) along with 4 regiments of cavalry, 4 fusiliers, and 1 artillery piece. I could engage your entire line and all your cavalry and still have plenty of men to spare to send against your howitzers, but the question is: would four howitzers kill/rout enough men before I could bring my line into range? I don't know the answer to that , but I could see it being possible. On the other hand, I think it also involves a fair amount of luck on the part of your howitzers, which is why I prefer troops over artillery. I can easily expect how my men will perform in any given situation, while I can never say for sure that my artillery will kill such-and-such target.

One especially glaring omission in that army, is the absence of the Old Guard. Undoubtedly the best line unit in the game, and with the ability to damage enemy morale with just their sheer presence, to not use them is to ignore one of France's greatest strengths.

I dont like the Old Guard, theyre good but their a death star, one quick barrage and there gone, 6 units of line, which are all semi elite...

As for heavy cav, the Chasseurs easily ake uhm to pieces, 60 muskets really takes the edge of a cav charge...

Edit: I must also say Im not a great cav lover...

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBunny666 View Post
    I dont like the Old Guard, theyre good but their a death star, one quick barrage and there gone, 6 units of line, which are all semi elite...

As for heavy cav, the Chasseurs easily ake uhm to pieces, 60 muskets really takes the edge of a cav charge...

Edit: I must also say Im not a great cav lover...
    I'm sorry. I misread the point of this thread. I thought you wanted our opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre11B View Post
    I'm sorry. I misread the point of this thread. I thought you wanted our opinion.

Never pick Chasseurs, always pick Voltigeurs.

I'd tell you my Large Funds army, but that would be stupid. Large Funds is quite tedious anyway... Medium all the way.

I do want you guys opinion, Just making the point that I regard Chassuers superior to other cav any day of the week...

I'm talking about the Light Infantry...

And Cheveu-Leger Lancers are the best cavalry. If you think otherwise, you're wrong.

Chasseurs vs Voltigeurs, what wins, the Chassuers have more men, but the Voltigeurs more accuracy and cost less, anyone willing to do the math?

Oh dear...

Bunny, Voltigeurs are better hands down. For Light Infantry, Chasseurs are poor (for instance, compare them to Prussian Fusiliers). What's more, Voltigeurs cost a mere 550, can hide more efficiently, can deploy stakes and have more morale.

Ok, if I change the 3 Chassuers to Voltigeurs how does that sound?

Still sounds like you need a plan against 12 lbers... Theyll go nuts on ur howitzers before they are in range, and without howitzers I'm afraid that army might fold pretty quick. Also, be wary of Young Guard; they are guards, but blow for blow they arn't much better than other nation's line (Britain?).
    As for cavalry, I don't think you'll have a problem most of the time, your howitzers should neutralize most enemy heavies.
    Did I play you 2v2 recently? LG L'empeurer

Quote Originally Posted by richardsharpe View Post
    Still sounds like you need a plan against 12 lbers... Theyll go nuts on ur howitzers before they are in range,
    So true. I've already been accused of camping because of this. If you bring unicorns, howitzers or basically anything that can't match the range of a 12 lber, expect me to sit max range and pick them off with my 12 lbers.

This happens a lot on the flatmaps. I told the guy, I paid for these cannons. If you want me to give up my range advantage, send your general to my side and give me the extra cash that I spent for them.

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

20-pdr unicorn has just as much range as a cannon

but if u want to have howitzers and not be kited by cannons hills are always useful

Sounds strong but the lack of skirmishers for a defensive build sounds a bit worrying,i would think there extra skirmishers would get more line kills than the howies,but that depends on the rules.

I ussually play max 4/5 Skirmishers and max 4 art, and I hate Grassy flatlands and avoid it like the plague, so that should kinda cancel the cannons range bonus, maybe?

If you have more Howitzers than they do cannons - no matter what cannons they are - you will win. It's almost fact.

What I've found is that the cannon shots are more accurate in the first couple of shots. For some reason the appear relatively ineffective after that. They're terrible against infantry too, so move up your Howitzers from the off (put them in a group to make this easier) and support with all your infantry. They'll make short work of the enemy artillery.

Spread your cavalary and General into single rank to minimise casualties.

5 Voltigeurs are deadly in any army. Don't worry too much about Line Infantry it can be negated if you play well... especially by French cavalry which is fantastic.

Played this against a guy on Syrian ridge, he had 3 arts and no howies, he camped, I blew his arty to hell from behind the ridge, then meleed his jagers and line to death...

Only hiccup was underestimating the 47th Czechs, just another named line I thought, turns out they beat charging young guard...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAussieDigger View Post
    20-pdr unicorn has just as much range as a cannon
    In the Napoleon Total War version that I am using, 12 lbers have a max range of 600, 20 lb unicorns have a max range of 550 and the 10 lber has a max range of 450.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast