Thread: Move in current formation?

Default Move in current formation?

I am wondering is anyone else having problems moving their units as they are set up.

What i mean is this:

Before the start of the battle lets say I set my units in a single line. I dont group them.

Click on the START BATTLE...... and select all......set their new position 50 meters infront, and what happens next is just pure chaos......they set them self verticaly to the enemy and their starting formation.

Is anyone else having this problems, and If so how can it be fixed?

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Move in current formation?

If you use the icons to move your units you won't have the problem ... a little clumsy at first but it is OK and works.

Quote Originally Posted by dutch81 View Post
    If you use the icons to move your units you won't have the problem ... a little clumsy at first but it is OK and works.

What icons are you reffering to? Do you mean the ones in the middle of the screen, where you have turn left, turn right arrows?

Quote Originally Posted by www2 View Post
    I dont group them.

Is anyone else having this problems, and If so how can it be fixed?
    Try grouping them

I hate grouping my units....never liked it ever since Shogun....dont have any specific reason for it......

Use the UI movement buttons. There is a forward, backwards and rotational buttons.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by www2 View Post
    I hate grouping my units... dont have any specific reason for it...
    How about it lets you move units in formation?
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Now if the AI would move his armies in formations in stead of one big line all would be so much better then it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by klesh View Post
    How about it lets you move units in formation?

Even when I set them in a certain formation and group them, then click infront they shuffle the formation beyond anything I set up in the first place......only when I group them in a one of the recomended formations do they move correct.

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Degano View Post
    Now if the AI would move his armies in formations in stead of one big line all would be so much better then it is right now.
    Hey ! That's a great improvement over ETW !!! You should have seen the blobs the AI used to do EVERY time !
    I'm really happy they (almost) fixed that.

When theyre grouped, try holding down right mouse instead of just clicking. That will show you the green boxes for each unit, in the formation you picked. Then you just make sure theyre facing the right way and they'll walk together.

InF3sTeD's Avatar Decanus

Normally they move forward fine in formation. The only time I have a problem is when I try to use fire and advance. Then it just becomes a mess.

Select group and hold down this key to move forward: '
    Hold down / to move backward.

Never right-click to move a group of units. Movement is based on the CENTER of the selected group of units. Your line will always be perpendicular to the angle between the center of your original group position to the center of your destination group position.

Or to put it another way, the line will always be perpendicular to the direction of motion.

It is just better to simply group your units and right-click and drag to position. Then simply ungroup when you're done. Just hit G. There is no good reason not to group units.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Fire and advance is great!!! but to bugy! any patch form CA to fix this?.( No removal)