Thread: KGCME 4.2, Ideas, Beginnings, and Progress

Default KGCME 4.2, Ideas, Beginnings, and Progress

Introduction

So I've begun working on an adaptation of KGCM. My goals will be to continue to develop and improve the mod past what it has become with keeping with the KGCM traditions. I'm opening this as a brief thread and place holder and to list some of my ideas. I've been gone for a while, as I was sick with mono, respitory illnesses, and other medical stuff, and occupied by school as a result of not attending much school due to illnesses, and many of my ideas have been implemented here and there I see, but I plan on gathering them all under one roof, and improving and adding in additional ideas I've yet to share, that should make this mod stand out above others. The other main intent is to gather a consensus and suggustions by the community to include if appropriate.

I will list some of my ideas below, but others I will be listing as I develop them and make them ready for use. Also this is a rough draft, and generally a place holder while I formalize my thoughts.

First I will be incorporating most ideas from the original KGCME, starting with 4.2 and changes/updates as the base.

Next I plan on adding in the Apachean Tribes, the Turmids, and one other new faction. Right now the candidates are Aragon (number one candidate), which will occupy the rebel territories of the North East Iberian Peninsula and Toulouse in Southern France or the Royal Line of France which will occupy Paris and probably 2 other nearby French provinces. Both will bring more conflict to France, but also conflict to the region and existing factions as a whole. I always liked the idea of playing France but found it quite frankly, easy. However I completely understand the reasons why France is the way it is in KGCM. for gameplay balance, and will attempt to maintain that game play balance as much as possible.

I think Aragon would be a great candidate for a new faction in the main campaign. It also will prevent France from steamrolling into the Iberian peninsula and provide another ally against the moors, and to Genoa/Milan against France, like an intermediary force.

Another idea might be to make the Royal Line of France be a provincial/custom campaign that would allow you to play as the Royal bloodline of France with the intent of unifying France under the royal line, who during the 1200s had very little power in the kingdom of France. This would simply be to make a provincial campaign with France occupying fewer territories with many rebel territories in France as a provincial campaign. This would make it so that England, Aragon, and other factions could expand into France easier, simulating English holdings in western France such as the Bourdouix region, while Aragon would occupy Toulouse, etc.

Note
    All optional mods will be open to discussion for inclusions in the base KGCME version. My other idea is to keep this mod as flexible as possible to allow as many people as possible to enjoy the game in whatever style pleases them without creating an infinite amount of files to confuse everyone either.

Install Instructions

Install KGCM 3.0 "Link Coming Soon"
    Install KGCM 4.2 "Link Coming Soon"
    Install KGCME 4.2 (Includes all latest changes from KGCM) "Link Coming Soon"

Place Holder

Right now my ideas stands as:

General Project Goals

-All previous additions/changes from KGCME
    -Add Aragon as a third faction
    -Add Apachean Tribes and Turmids
    -Make a provincial French Campaign
    -Redo map to add all new provinces to new world (unlike HHB, which adds in Flanders and a new province to France), unless a better suggestion comes along.
    -Make new factions symbols/icons for Aragon, and possible other factions
    -Completely new skins for Aragon - (mostly done)
    -New skins for some units
    -Maintain Milan/Genoa faction, better represented, especially vivid via new traits and ancillaries, possibly new skins for some units
    -Give the traits and ancillaries files the attention they deserve. That includes adding a huge number of new triggers and exclusions that would drastically improve the game
    -With SFs permission, I'd like to add in some of his work on the heroes side of things as I think that it is an excellent addition
    -Horde script obviously (great addition to the game, more compatible with base KGCM 4.2)
    -New and improved XIA 4.0 revised once it comes out/released, to fit KGCM and incorporate my changes
    -Incorporate any future changes to base KGCM by Dave
    -Other small game play changes and balancing, if needed

Gameplay Goals
    -Add back in sherwood archers (optional mod)
    -Add in flaming ammo for trebuche and catapult (optional)
    -New units from previous KGCME versions
    -Clean up all unused files and entries to cut down on HD space, such as all peasant entries in the models.db files, and ui/models folders.
    -Possibly add in new guilds if good ideas abound, or new guild quests
    -Possibly add in princesses for Middle eastern factions, why not? You decide.
    -Improved diplomacy
    -Add Hospital building (level 1 only) to KoJ and Antioch
    -Add in Jihad movie for Muslim factions

PLACE HOLDER

PLACE HOLDER

Trait Goals

-Large discussion on trait overhaul system
    -Include exceptions for all negative traits
    -Remove some negative trait triggers, and make exceptions for some, for adopting family members via marriage (most princesses married, and only sometimes did relative develop negative traits. The idea is that princesses should be allowed to marry a general without having your Faction heir become a cuckold or alcoholic, though drink may still be a negative trait (drinking because they are happy or disagree with the marriage, but at a lesser chance).
    -Change trait acquisition that are building related to A)Lesser chance on completion of buildings B)small chance each turn that you spend in a town: this will allow the breeding of governors in addition to generals
    -New traits and ancillaries, expanded
    -Trigger overhaul
    -Revision/split of brothel related negative traits with exceptions per character abilities, and add in some positive traits for some factions like middle eastern (hookah dens were considered socially acceptable and beneficial)
    -Include all other character trait changes from previous versions and updates such as traits copied to apply to new factions(Hates Scotland, hates wales....etc.)
    -Revision of ignorance traits. You can gain on creation, but cannot progress save under rare circumstances. No longer will generals be able to become super ignorant because you marry a princess to a general...)
    -New traits for spies/princesses/diplomates/generals near characters with traits/ancilaries.
    -Possibly an expansion of hereditary traits such as English Blood, French Blood, etc. I've seen some really good ideas out there.

-Finally, most trait changes will be subject to discussion and approval by you, the community. I'll keep you updated on the work as it progresses.

Ancilary Goals/Changes

-Coming Soon!

Graphics and Skins

-Possibly new banners/faction icons
    -New skins for some factions only if work is on par with my expectations
    -New strat models, again if on par with my high expectations
    -Add in permenent arrows (optional)
    -The City Strat models by SF I think (IDK they are in HHB anyway) compatibility for those that like to use it (optional)
    -Great idea to add Dismounted Halburters (sp?) to the Tuetonic order guild since I may or may not add in a dismounted Teutonic order knight model depending on hard code limit space.

-The last final, and huge projects would be to pick through all of the mods out there and find any new skins or models for units that would drastically improve the look and feel of the mod. If needed I could create new skins, not that difficult, but my primary focus is going to be on gameplay first. Open to suggestions.

Disclaimer: This is by no means a complete list, just a late night blog for idea collection and to share what I've been working on with the community.

Alot of work has already been done, but I wanted to open a discussion for what changes you all would like to see included. Please post your ideas, links, and thoughts. Thanks!
    Last edited by FortressofRain; March 11, 2010 at 06:31 AM.

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: KGCME 4.2, Ideas, Beginnings, and Progress

Hmm, I'm somewhat critical of this as most of these changes have already been represented in HHB apart from aragon instead of flanders. Perhaps the best idea is to go on with a KGCM 4.3 which I suppose could add the apaches and the timruids back in (there is already a fair amount of action on the spanish Peninsular), but keeping original skins in all factions. Its likely that most people like KGCM the way it is more or less. Perhaps it is a better idea simply to implement the XAI 4.0 changes, and then contact Dave to get it down as the official "next" KGCM. Dont take this as discouragement though; there are always those out there up for Aragon!

Are you working on this?

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Peteriscoolz View Post
    Are you working on this?
    If its me your talking to, the answer is no
    And Fortress of Rain hasn't been around for ages, so I wouldn't presume he is either...