Thread: [H.F.] The O.K. Corral

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Default [H.F.] The O.K. Corral

Wyatt Earp checked his pocket watch just as the church bell rang out, signalling the mid-afternoon. For late October, the weather was strangely pleasant; there was no rain, and the wind had completely died down. The town of Tombstone was as quiet as day. The scene was set.

The three Earp brothers and John ‘Doc’ Holliday strode down the south side of Fremont Street, towards where the Cowboys had last been seen. The lawmen were all armed with standard revolvers except for Doc who also carried a short double-barrelled shotgun underneath his long black overcoat, as to not alert the locals. They were ready for trouble.

There was an odd aura filling the air of Tombstone that day. Tension. Apprehension.

Fear.

The locals felt it. Wyatt and his comrades felt it. The Cowboys probably felt it too. Everybody knew something was about to go down. Something big. Unbeknownst to either party, it would be one of the biggest events in the history of the Old West.

As they neared the location of Ike Clanton and his ilk, Sheriff Johnny Behan approached them from the direction of the Cowboys. The Sheriff was a friend of theirs, and had done business with them many times. What kind of business is subject to speculation, but seeing as the Cowboys were a collection of organized criminals, it couldn’t have been the good kind.

“Afternoon, Sherriff. Got any news on our visitors?” enquired Virgil Earp, Marshal of Tombstone.

“I’ve disarmed them. There’s no need for y’all to get hostile with ‘em. They’re not gonna fight ya. Don’t be causing a scene now” responded the old Sheriff, pointing back at the place where the Cowboys were.

“We’ll check if they’re fully disarmed. If all goes well, our guns will stay in our holsters.”

The four black-clad figures brushed past the sheriff, continuing on their path towards the outlaws.

They entered the alley and the empty lot where the five Cowboys waited. Ike Clanton stood talking to Billy Clairbone in the middle of the lot. Behind them, leaning against a house to the west, stood the rest of the rogues: The brothers Tom and Frank McLaury, as well as Billy Clanton and their two horses.

The Earps stepped forward. The Cowboys saw them, and aligned to meet their foe face to face. The two parties stood several metres from each other.

“You here for something, Earp?” challenged Tom McLaury, his fierce eyes piercing into Wyatt’s.

“Throw up your hands!” commanded Virgil Earp, his coarse voice interrupting Tom.

The wind picked up for a moment, blowing the sandy dust of the road around the feet of the Marshal and his deputies. Wyatt tightened the grip around his pistol. Morgan did the same, placing his finger on the trigger whilst Doc revealed the shotgun from underneath his coat. The Cowboys grew increasingly agitated. One of the outlaws, Billy Clairborne, began to back away from the line. He carried no gun belt and appeared to be unarmed. The Cowboys gripped their holsters. As both groups began to reach for their weapons and hammers began to cock, Virgil had just enough time to shout “Wait! I don’t mean that!” refuting his earlier demand. It was too late. Now the **** would really hit the fan.

They drew their guns. Wyatt fired his revolver as a bullet whizzed past his face. Frank McLaury went down clutching his abdomen. A pause. Now the gunfight began in earnest.

Billy Clairborne had already run from the fight. The two sides shot at each other, the smoke and rounds exploding from their pistols. The distance in between the two lines was miniscule; hitting the target was more about instinct than anything else. Ike Clanton, who was seemingly unarmed, rushed to Wyatt’s feet. “I’m unarmed!” he cried. “Please! Don’t kill me!”

“Get to fighting or get away!” replied Wyatt fiercely as another bullet was loosed from the chamber of his revolver. The Cowboy scampered away.

The other Billy, Billy Clanton, was struck in the right wrist as he drew his pistol, shattering the bone and rendering the hand useless. He grabbed the weapon with his left hand and began to fire at the Earps, the blood streaking from the wound and spattering onto the sand below.

The McLaury’s had taken cover behind a horse, from which they were now shooting. Smoke from the burning of gunpowder began to cover the sight of both the lawmen and the outlaws, making it slightly difficult to discern targets. A shot rang out from behind Morgan Earp, and he turned quickly to respond to the new threat. Frank McLaury saw him turn, and took the opportunity to fire at his exposed back. The bullet blasted from the pistol and hit Morgan in between the shoulder blades, causing him to crumple to his knees.

Meanwhile, Tom McLaury had seen enough. He dashed towards Fremont Street, attempting to flee the scene of the carnage. Doc Holliday saw him. He lowered the sights of his shotgun and emptied both barrels into Tom’s side, the rounds tearing into his chest and armpit. The Cowboy buckled and stumbled several paces further down the street, before finally collapsing in front of the Harwood house by a telegraph pole, his life-less body lying in the dirt whilst the battle raged on around it.

Billy Clanton and Frank McLaury were the only Cowboys left, and they were both wounded but still firing. One of their rounds struck Virgil in the calf and he grimaced in pain. Doc had dropped his shotgun now and was firing with his pistol. As he moved in to finish Frank, the outlaw fired, striking the lawman’s holster, bruising him. Morgan continued to push on with his injured back. He fell over a buried waterline, groaning as he hit the dirt. He promptly got back up and returned fire at Frank, who was now on the other side of the street by the sidewalk. Doc moved in closer again. “That son of a b*** shot me! I’m gonna kill him!” he exclaimed. They continued to fire at the injured Frank, before at last striking him in the head, the bullet cracking into the bone and blasting out of the back in an explosion of blood.

A final round struck Billy Clanton in the left breast as he bravely attempted to fight off the encroaching deputies. He hit the ground hard, his Colt Six Shooter landing beside him. The gunfight at the O.K. Corral was over.

The shootout had lasted less than thirty seconds, with approximately thirty rounds being fired in total. None on the side of the Earps was killed, with only slight injuries being suffered by Doc, Morgan and Virgil. Wyatt was unscathed. Three on the Cowboys’ side were killed, the other two having fled the scene. It has become arguably the most famous shootout in the history of the Old West. Many consider the gunfight to be a demonstration of how the law struggled against outlaws and bandits of the period. Others consider it to be an abuse of power by the Earps; much controversy surrounds the incident - who started the fight? Was Tom McLaury unarmed? Were the Earps justified in shooting down the Cowboys? Nevertheless, the fight was a perfect example of how violent the Wild West could become, and serves as a reminder of a time gone by, of gunfights and lawlessness.
    Last edited by Katsumoto; March 11, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: [H.F.] The O.K. Corral

Let it be known, my dear Katsumoto, that I have absolutely no interest in the American West. Still, this is admirably done , and I am wondering whether you'd like it declared "complete"!
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Moderator Emeritus

Yes indeedy.

Thank you Tsar of Tsars.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Yes indeedy.

Thank you Tsar of Tsars.
    It is Autocrat of All the Fictions, thank you!

I think it's time to update the Gilded Hall, to be honest. We need a section for Short Stories/Poems and a section for Multi-Part tales. I'll do that now!

As Autocrat of All the Fictions, under the Grace of the Hexagon Council, I hereby declare this story finished. It shall be cataloged in the Gilded Hall for all time!
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Damn you, I already have a one-shot Western almost done and you beat me to the punch!!

Moderator Emeritus

Ahh my bad, I've wanted it to write a Western for some time and last night I had time so I came up with this. Yours will be much better anyway so don't worry.
    Last edited by Katsumoto; March 11, 2010 at 09:40 AM.

I wouldn't say so. I was actually going to trouble you with a request to make me a little sig banner thing for it. Your's is definitely more historical based than mine-- I am just using the setting really rather than an actual historical character.

Lol, I live about an hours drive from where this takes place. +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man
    obviously I'm a large angry black woman and you're a hot blonde!