Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

I left the Total War Community for some time.

Empire was just so poorly done, i had to go back to Rome Total Realism.

But, then i see this?
    What is it?
    They say it is a stand alone game? And not an expansion pack?

Has CA already declared Empire Dead?
    Is this why they already made another game of the same era...

Many TW gamers got soured with Empire, and, now, seeing this... What are we supposed to think.

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: What is this?

"We"?
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Wally's Avatar Semisalis

Stand alone game and it's way better than Empire.
    I'm enjoying Napoleon Total War very much.

It was originally an expansion, that was upgraded to a standalone game because of the size or something. It's much better than ETW, in my opinion. The AI is better in vanilla, and can be really good with mods. And I personally like the smaller focus and less micromanagement involved. Also, it is much better optimized than ETW, both in battles and on the campaign map.

Godagesil's Avatar Foederatus

I work in the software industry. it is not uncommon for mere service packs or expansion packs (in the game industry), to become full blown releases. As more and more content is added the planned release becomes to large. Plus their is the added financial incentive to create something whole to sell anew. They probaby reached a tipping point where adding a few more bells and whistles to the expansion pack like the drop in play, etc, made economic sense, since they could make it a whole new release and double the price for not too much more work.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.” G. Khan

"We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, Our Flag will be recognized throughout the World as a symbol of Freedom on the one hand and of overwhelming force on the other."
    Gen. G.C. Marshall

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by TKainZero View Post
    I left the Total War Community for some time.

Empire was just so poorly done, i had to go back to Rome Total Realism.

But, then i see this?
    What is it?
    They say it is a stand alone game? And not an expansion pack?

Has CA already declared Empire Dead?
    Is this why they already made another game of the same era...

Many TW gamers got soured with Empire, and, now, seeing this... What are we supposed to think.
    Do some more research on these boards. I absolutely hated ETW. Napoleon is much better than Empire, and in my opinion, the best release of a Total War game since the first Medieval Total War. If you're remotely interested in the gunpowder/Napoleonic era, you absolutely should play this game.