Thread: Fun Austrian Campaign.

Default Fun Austrian Campaign.

I bought NTW a couple of days ago and recently finished the Italian Campaign on M/M. I decided to start the Campaigns of the Coalition as Austria on H/H.

I've played a year into the campaign and it's been a tough slog. The main fighting really has been in Northern Italy. I've been involved in a couple of combined 3000 man battles against the Kingdom of Italy. In addition the Russians have sent a full stack over from Vilnus but the French dealt with them. But they are sending another force over. Saxony have sent two full stacks overall but the French have dealt with them as well, but like the Russians are pressuring the French. I seriously hit Napoleon's force hard when he tried to take Innsbruck. But my main focus is on the Kingdom Of Italy and the Swiss.

Just as I finished playing for the day the Italians sent a 2200 man force south of Innsbruck to attack my 1800 man army. Should be a good fight.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Fun Austrian Campaign.

yes i am in a good Austrian game as well. Italy is surprisingly enough were my main battles are too. France was a pushover, but the Kingdom of Italy is putting up an insane fight.

JayMac's Avatar Civis

What kind of difference does h/h bring from n/n? Are countries more active? It seems that in the coalition campaign only France is active.

On H/H the AI is really good. I've had several battles where I have lost nearly half my men.

The AI puts up a decent fight.

Beggar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
    What kind of difference does h/h bring from n/n? Are countries more active? It seems that in the coalition campaign only France is active.
    H/H on campaign map gives some bonuses to the AI and makes it bit more aggressive, and on battle map simply gives bonuses.

KEY:
    The kingdom of Italy holds Milan. Milan does not have a cannon foundry, that means its armies have no cannons! Recruit a stack of troop with 6+ cannon unit, and bombard them to pieces! In my Austrian campaign, this tactic is extremely effective.

My austrian army (in n.Italy) is full of grenzers, they beat italians and french. Some turns before I had problem with turks but my grenzers and my russian allies take them out The problem is with french in "german front" , they sent huge armies and I have no serious help from my allies.

Vicarius

I have a great Austrain campaing as well. I declared war on Russia immediately, just to spice things up (they have a large army in austrian territories at the start). I play on VH/H, and try and get drop-in battles whenever possible, to make it more challanging. I also have certain house rules to limit my expansion, and not use unrealistic armies (not too many cannons/light inf/cavalry compared to regular line inf.).
    Member of S.I.N.

Well I'm going to fight against the Kingdom Of Italy now (see OP) and it will be a bloody battle. Annoying thing is that I have to fight with such settings I can't see any corpses. Any idea on how to improve them yet not sacrificing anything major?

Best campaign I've played yet was with a modified startpos.esf file that allowed me to play as the Kingdom of Italy.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
    Best campaign I've played yet was with a modified startpos.esf file that allowed me to play as the Kingdom of Italy.
    how did France play in the campaign. I have found and heard that when you play as an ally of France that France kinda breaks and does nothing as the AIgets confused as to why they are starting with an allied player.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion of Hell View Post
    On H/H the AI is really good. I've had several battles where I have lost nearly half my men.

The AI puts up a decent fight.
    yeah H/H and they will give you a fight too remember

last night I had a period where I just couldent win any fights without losing half
    my army, or I would get a pyrric victory...

but today iam kicking sme austrian and frence ass

Just finished my second Austrian campaign on VH/VH. Was fun. I liberated Bavaria after France claimed it and when it was attacked by Saxony I declined to help them and lost them as protectorate. So I made Bavaria an Ally and they went nuts the rest of the game France never had a unit on my soil again. Bavaria took over the Swiss,Saxony and Hessen. It gave me time at the start to deal with the Ottomans. By the time the game was finished everyone was very friendly with me without me giving them gifts or techs for free.

Prussia,Russia and Bavaria sold me the regions I needed for victory conditions.

Spain was a major pain I took 1 stack against them because they are always easy I was surprised to see 8 stacks I just kept wearing them down and retreating to Barcelonia and letting my troops replenish.

I owned all the trade nodes from around Gibraltar to Russia thanks to the massive Spanish fleet that dominated the Mediterranean. As soon as I beat them I had 40 trade ships able to take the nodes that opened up.

The great thing about Bavaria stopping Napoleans push dead in its track was I only needed 2 Armies once I took care of the Ottomans I was able to disband.

Played a couple of turns. Had two large scale battles and one little battle against the Kingdom Of Italy. Glad to say that in those two bridge battles I managed to defeat them seeing they were the ones who crossed the river in two points and I was able to deal with them. Although the AI is resilient and in each battle I have lost at least 30% of my forces. Thankfully with Italian resilience crippled I have a straight road through to Milan. Saxony are struggling against France, as their full stack got mauled south of Dresden by the French.

The Ottomans (who I am at war with) are building up their forces. I've seen a near full stack near my borders, but thankfully the Russians have sent a half stack from the steppes and are in Galicia (that I hold) to help me out. Once Milan is taken I shall move to Turin and then push into the underbelly of France into Marseilles. Although attrition in the Alps have kicked in as it's Dec 1805, so I need to take out the Italians quickly.

But it is a fun campaign with a decent AI!