Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: finding opponents (drop in battles)

Default finding opponents (drop in battles)

hi,

im currently playin a campaign and have drop in battles enabled (awesome feature) but am finding it very hard to find opponents. ive read that you have to alter the settings in steam to tap into the various server locations (im in uk) to find players.

why cant we just set steam to search through all the countries to find opponents instead of having to restart steam each time to try a different location?

Default Re: finding opponents (drop in battles)

Not a single one here , but mp works fine. I don't get it, and switching from Benelux to UK isn't helping me than. Do we have to open some ports?

Quote Originally Posted by Gezoes View Post
    Not a single one here , but mp works fine. I don't get it, and switching from Benelux to UK isn't helping me than. Do we have to open some ports?
    So we do.
    Don't know if it helps the drop-in battle problem if MP works fine though.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

this isnt the issue im havin. ive already played 1 drop in battle and when i click on the quick battle lobby there are lots of battles in there. ive also dropped into someone elses campaign as well so i dont think its a router issue for me.

so it is true that if i select the uk as my region in steam, i only play people in the uk? this seems crazy. why cant it be like any other MP game where you can play people from anywhere? it would increase chances of findin someone tenfold at least.

Primicerius

I suspect it's timing. I usually have no problem getting a drop-in partner around 6-9 pm EST (takes a few minutes at the most). If I try around 00 AM: can wait forever...

Also, to broaden your chances you have to uncheck "friends only".

but why are we limited to playin people in the region we have set in steam? why doesnt the game search the entire steam network?

we would be guaranteed to find a player then.

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    but why are we limited to playin people in the region we have set in steam? why doesnt the game search the entire steam network?

we would be guaranteed to find a player then.
    Next time I see willowthewisp online (or if he sees this), I need to ask him whether or not he changed his download server from last night to today.

The reason I'm curious is because I DID. I went from New York, USA last night to the UK this morning. The thing is, I dropped into his campaign from both download regions. So unless he also changed his server, I'm not sure we completely understand the mechanics of this yet.
    Vudak

Quote Originally Posted by Vudak View Post
    Next time I see willowthewisp online (or if he sees this), I need to ask him whether or not he changed his download server from last night to today.

The reason I'm curious is because I DID. I went from New York, USA last night to the UK this morning. The thing is, I dropped into his campaign from both download regions. So unless he also changed his server, I'm not sure we completely understand the mechanics of this yet.
    He is one of your Steam friends. Games hosted by those are visible in the game browser independent of dl regions; I assume it's the same with drop in battles.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    He is one of your Steam friends. Games hosted by those are visible in the game browser independent of dl regions; I assume it's the same with drop in battles.
    Many thanks, daniu!

That's good news. Now I can safely switch between NYC and London depending on the time of day and not worry about missing out on friends' matches.
    Vudak

whoever said that the download area settings in steam affects where people you play are from are 100% wrong. i tryed setting it to france to see what happened. i got games alright, but i also got ctds after each battle ended.

i put it back on uk and the next two players i played were from australia and belgium, so that dispells that myth. it must search worldwide for players no matter what you set it to.

am curious though to why i never get any invites to anyone elses campaigns. i played for around 7 hours today and never got 1 invite

search times for opponents seem weird as well. sometimes i would wait 10-15 mins for someone to drop in and other times it would take 1 minute or so. you would think that if its searching the whole steam network there would always been someone willing to play.

Hate to be devil's advocate but maybe the Drop-in system isn't very well optimized/organized or there just isn't that many people allowing drop-ins yet.

Here's how the drop-in queue should work. Someone request a drop-in, they are added in a queue and auto-matched with priority going to those who selected drop-in game from MP. If no players are found in the drop-in MP queue then it should search for users close to the other user who have drop-in enabled on.

I suspect that it's a combination of region locked drop-in and the way the queue system works that affects this. I know that ever since I joined the gentlemen club that when I request a drop-in, it happens fairly quickly and I've been seeing more invites since friends aren't region locked. I also believe when you select friend's only and if your friends do it, you end up with more games then normal since the invites aren't going out to everyone but only the select few.

Then let's not forget normal/casuals haven't beaten the campaigns yet or aren't confident enough in their skills to go online. So I think the drop-in community will eventually shrink but have more games going on (less people total, but the ones playing are diehards and request drop-ins all the time). Drop-in is fairly new and part of me was sorta thinking it wouldn't work, I'm glad that at launch there isn't anything game ending about it but it still needs improvements (getting rid of region lock is a step in the right direction).
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

whoever said that the download area settings in steam affects where people you play are from are 100% wrong. i tryed setting it to france to see what happened. i got games alright, but i also got ctds after each battle ended.
    Download setting definitely effects MP, you can try it out with the game browser; set it to USA and ask some people hosting games where they live.
    The regions are bundled though; there is a region "Central Europe" which I assume includes UK and France.

Lord Nova, I'm really not sure how many drop-in enabled battles take place at a given time.
    They are pretty far in between for me...
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Download settings do affect your MP you only see battles from your region and those on your friends list you may have played an aussie ( i am an aussie) because our servers are dead so we all hit the european ones or the american ones to get games . Strangely lag has been next to no issue on these games so a more global search would be good

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

it seems a crazy system. imagine playin call of duty or any other online MP game and havin to reload the game each time soc you have to chnage the server location to find players? why cant we just click all servers and be done with it?

im still baffled as to why i havent had any invites after 7 or 8 hours gameplay so far. it makes me think maybe i need to open some router ports for steam but surely if it was a router issue i wouldnt be able to play MP period?
    Last edited by tonedog; March 11, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

I've never seen a single popup invite, and yes, ofcourse I have them enabled.

Hosting a game, it just sits there, 'looking' for opponents. Multiplayer still works fine.

I think it has some sort of ping wall that you cant play if your ping is to high.I'm from australia and even if im in a region with lots of players i cant get a game,the only players i have had a drop in against are from usa and on my friends list

in over 10 hours of campaign play ive yet to have one invite to someone elses camapaign so theres obviously a problem somewhere with the system.

Primicerius

I've been invited to someone else's campaign (while playing my own) several times. Maybe joining the gentelemen's club has helped it since many of those inviting were from that group.

On a different note, I think, the current drop-in system is what's making it so 'time consuming'. The system is searching (don't know what prioritizing used) for someone who, at the time, is looking at the SP(! not MPC) campaign window (not battle, not diplomacy, not construction, etc.). Then, the system displays the message for 10 seconds. If the person accepts, fine, you go into the battle. But... it's possible 1) the player does not want to join, 2) the player goes into a battle of his own, 3) the player goes into some other game menu, 4) the player stop playing and exits, 5) the player does not notice the message... In all those cases, a new search will be executed. If several of the mentioned factors coincide, for several players, the search can go on for quite a while...

Also, there is the limitation of performance related preferences. I presume, someone who has set his preferences to low graphics, minimal unit size, will not be invited to a campaign of a player who is playing at maximum graphics, ultra unit size...

However, I'm not sure how to improve the current system.
    Last edited by Slaists; March 14, 2010 at 01:21 PM.

good points there. i am in that club u mentioned and was on for another couple of hours today but still no invites eh. to be honest, when u click friends only all thats gonna do it limit even more the people who can drop in so not sure thats the best way forward to play more people.

i also play with ultra unit size so dunno if thats limiting how many people i can play. buts its still bizzarre why i aint had ONE invite in all the time ive played so far.

Primicerius

good points there. i am in that club u mentioned and was on for another couple of hours today but still no invites eh. to be honest, when u click friends only all thats gonna do it limit even more the people who can drop in so not sure thats the best way forward to play more people.

i also play with ultra unit size so dunno if thats limiting how many people i can play. buts its still bizzarre why i aint had ONE invite in all the time ive played so far.
    add me to your friends' list. when situation is appropriate, i'll surely be glad to drop into your campaign. i go by the same nickname on Steam and I also play on Ultra (all graphics set to max)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast