Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to add a unit to another faction

Default How to add a unit to another faction

Hi,

i just recently discovered how to add an unit from one faction to another. For this you will need the NTW Packfilemanger. In this tutorial I add the Brunswick line to prussia.

Prelude: Create a new mod with PFM

Step 1:Changing the units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions table.
    This is basicly the same as in ETW, find the unit copy the line and change the faction.
    You should have an Entry like this:

Inf_Line_Brunswick_Line_Infantry prussia True

Step 2: Changing the uniforms table.
    This is new since NTW. To avoid the placeholder problem, go here find the unit you want to change (third column). Now copy that line, change the first column with a new prefix (lets say Prussia) and change the faction in the 2nd column.
    You should have an Entry like this:

Prussia_Inf_Line_Brunswick_Line_Infantry prussia Britain_Inf_Line_Brunswick_Line_Infantry Inf_Line_Brunswick_Line_Infantry

Step 3: Changing the uniform_to_faction_colours table.
    This isn't necessary and i haven't testet this yet but i think its correct . Search the line with the unit you want to change. Important the reference is the IDref from the uniforms table. Search the entry for Britain_Inf_Line_Brunswick_Line_Infantry copy that row an change the first entry to Prussia_Inf_Line_Brunswick_Line_Infantry and the 2nd to prussia. Without that Step the Unit will have the faction color instead of beeing mainly black.

Step 4: Changing the units table.
    This is the same as in ETW just change the columns Early Available and Late Available to true. This will make the unit accessable for custom battles.

Step 5: Changing the building_units_allowed table
    Adding some lines for Inf_Line_Brunswick_Line_Infantry to make the unit accessable for the campaign.

Edit:
    After looking through Swiss Halberdiers aum_mod this seems to work for new units as well.
    For new units there are some additional steps:

1. Adding the unit to units_stats_land (or naval) table
    2. Adding the unit to units table
    3. Adding some abilities to the unit in unit_to_unit_abilities_junctions

I hope this is new to you and helps . To make things a bit easier I made an example mod.

Thanks to
    Erasmus777
    HusserlTW
    the Vicar
    for the NTW_PFM
    and
    Swiss Halberdier
    for the AUM-NAP mod.

Greetings
    Thalion
    Last edited by Thalion; March 10, 2010 at 08:31 AM.

Default Re: How to add a unit to another faction

Good resource, +rep! ! Remember to mention the creators of the tools or the ideas you use.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Good work!!!

After looking through Swiss Halberdiers aum_mod this seems to work for new units as well.
    Hello Thalion, nice to see that you figured it out with my mod.

I've created a tutorial with some useful informations:
    [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit in NTW

Cheers
    Swiss Halberdier

To be able to do this tutorial we need a update to the db file types that allows us to edit "uniform to faction colors" table. Current NTW PFM cant read it yet. It can read Uniform Tables but not the other one.

Hi,

erasmus777 found a way to use the uniform_to_faction_colors just jump over to the Napoleon PFM Released thread to page 8

Greetings
    Thalion

Just a thought, some people never modded ETW, and some never even played it. It might be a good idea to include more help for people who are not used to the ETW/NTW file structure.

Yours is not the only tutorial to suffer from this problem though.

Burebista's Avatar Electro Artifacts AP

Greetings Thalion

Im trying to add the Light infantry to Romania, or the cuirassers or lances, but it does not enable them to be shown in the tech tree nor can I recruite them...why?

I cloned them for romania too, in two places where you can do that...but still no luck. Can you identify the problem? i'm using a mod that enables different factions but with so few units I need a few generic ones.
    Modding Arts Inc.

SS City Reinforcement Script - (*SS 6.2 any mod comptible)

Quote Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
    Greetings Thalion

Im trying to add the Light infantry to Romania, or the cuirassers or lances, but it does not enable them to be shown in the tech tree nor can I recruite them...why?

I cloned them for romania too, in two places where you can do that...but still no luck. Can you identify the problem? i'm using a mod that enables different factions but with so few units I need a few generic ones.
    I've changed the uniform too... only the buildings I left them as they were as the unit was already there.

Is this because I cloned the line instead of copy?

Oor do I have to make a totally new pack file>?
    Last edited by Burebista; March 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
    Modding Arts Inc.

Well i would recommend to make an new pack file. Never change the originals. If you make a new packfile upload it and i will have a look at it . Until i get your packfile try using this one with your faction enabling mod (just copie that file in your data folder). I haven't testet this pack, so report back whether it works or not.

Greetings Thalion
    Last edited by Thalion; March 15, 2010 at 07:28 AM.

Huh.... I must me doing this wrong, but I've spent the past 3 hours trying to add Old Guard to Russia. I managed to do everything besides the Faction Colors table, and I had a question about the units table, do I have to make a new entry?
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

I don't think the entry in the units table is necessary, but anyways upload your try and i will have a look at it or wait till tomorrow and i'll try to upload a mod adding the Old Guard to russia.

Greetings
    Thalion

I already added the Old Guard to the Batavian Republic, so I could also have a look for you if you want.

Thanks Thalion! I'll keep plugging away at it in the mean time -.-

And Thanks Gill, I deleted the old try out of frustration, but I'll see about cobbling together what I did again! I do have a question- When you did that, did the paint job the old guard change to that of Batavia?
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    -Andrew Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
    Well i would recommend to make an new pack file. Never change the originals. If you make a new packfile upload it and i will have a look at it . Until i get your packfile try using this one with your faction enabling mod (just copie that file in your data folder). I haven't testet this pack, so report back whether it works or not.

Greetings Thalion

works fine thx.

How did you edited the first one (line) - the one not reading properly

Also how did you edited the grayed out section so I could add Romania_
    Modding Arts Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Industries View Post
    Thanks Thalion! I'll keep plugging away at it in the mean time -.-

And Thanks Gill, I deleted the old try out of frustration, but I'll see about cobbling together what I did again! I do have a question- When you did that, did the paint job the old guard change to that of Batavia?
    So here we go the Old Guard for russia . I used the colorscheme of the russian life guards so they should fit in the russian unit rooster. Sadly it is diffcult to change the icons, so right now you have the original icon. If you have any questions just ask!

Greetings Thalion

Quote Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
    works fine thx.

How did you edited the first one (line) - the one not reading properly

Also how did you edited the grayed out section so I could add Romania_
    I am not sure what you mean with your first question. The second is easy to answer there is an option in the PFM. When you are in the table go to "Options" and uncheck the entry "Use first column as row header".

Greetings
    Thalion

Thanks Thallion!
    -Andrew Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Industries View Post
    Thanks Thallion!
    I'm glad it works . If you have any questions or problems just ask.

Greetings
    Thalion

Ski's Avatar Laetus

I'm trying to get the Polish legion and Lancer from the french army into the Polish army. However dispite my best efforts i have to be missing something. my over all goal is to overhaul the entire Polish scenario, but I keep finding places to stumble. I tried to modify the data pack, which didn't work, and left me with an oops. If i'm using Hussar's NTF will my changes not come into play? (and could someone help with making a Poles belong in the Polish army not french pack) Much thanks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast