Thread: WTB DBeditor

Default WTB DBeditor

Hope this tool is in the works for NTW!

Default Re: WTB DBeditor

It's a possibility once we get the PFM working. However, atm I appear to be the only person who can read and update the code and I'm not really much of a programmer, especially when compared to the guys who wrote the tools in the first place: just, koras321, LtChambers, and alpaca. LtChambers, who we have to thank for the PFM and DBE, dwarfs me in terms of knowledge and skill. He worked on the DBE for a long time and it's more sophisticated than the PFM. Once we get the PFM working 100%, then I'll look at the DBE, but I can't promise we'll get it updated.

I should add that C# is fairly easy as far as C languages go (I taught myself last Fall). If you're so inclined...

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Nothing's in the works afaik. At least, neither LtC or me is doing anything like this right now, nor own NTW.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Which, I really must say, Alpaca, is a DAMNED SHAME.

Yes.

There.

I said it.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Roderna's Avatar Libertus

I was compiled a customised PFM 1.11b from the source.....
    But after I moved to win7 X64....I can not compile it in VS2008 anymore......
    So,I couldn't do anything until I figure out what happened.....

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

You know, I have to say, CA is REALLY dropping the ball on this. Other companies not only put out tools but regular help, advice, and even TUTORIALS for the newbs!!! CA can't even put out a simple tool to edit the packs? This is just plain nonesense.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post

Yes.

There.

I said it.
    I'll actually get the game in a few days' time but whether I'll mod it is unsure as of yet and depends on the state of the vanilla game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    You know, I have to say, CA is REALLY dropping the ball on this. Other companies not only put out tools but regular help, advice, and even TUTORIALS for the newbs!!! CA can't even put out a simple tool to edit the packs? This is just plain nonesense.
    They can but they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post

Yes.

There.

I said it.
    It would be a huge blow to the potential of NTW, if you guys didnt use you brilliant skills to help lift NTW up where it could be taken.
    Im a huge fan of the DB-editor for ETW - wich have helped make the game truly fantastic!!!

Best regards...

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    I'll actually get the game in a few days' time but whether I'll mod it is unsure as of yet and depends on the state of the vanilla game.
    Believe me - you will. vanilla is exactly that - vanilla.

The problem with Total War games is that people are always more taken by their unfulfilled potential than by the actual, vanilla game. It always ends up with "this game would be much better if only it had <fill the blank>

Quote Originally Posted by Marechal_Davout View Post
    Believe me - you will. vanilla is exactly that - vanilla.

The problem with Total War games is that people are always more taken by their unfulfilled potential than by the actual, vanilla game. It always ends up with "this game would be much better if only it had <fill the blank>
    Of course. The question I will ask myself is: Is this game good enough to shine when modded? After modding ETW for a fairly long time I have come to answer "no" to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Of course. The question I will ask myself is: Is this game good enough to shine when modded? After modding ETW for a fairly long time I have come to answer "no" to this question.
    I suppose that this conclusion has to do with the available modding abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    I suppose that this conclusion has to do with the available modding abilities.
    The unfortunate truth about ETW and NTW is that efforts to mod and develop tools are massive, but the returns are relatively small. I mean, it's not like we're preparing the way for the next RTR, Europa Barbarorum, TATW, etc. At best, you're looking at large "tweak" mods, which still require our best and brightest to pull off.

Probably we need to find an inventive way to bypass the virtual filesystem that ETW and NTW unpacks for itself at runtime. Imperial Glory used this idea too and it was a complete PITA until we unpacked it, then a decent amount of modding could be done.

Moopere