Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Britain impotent?

Default Re: Great Britain impotent?

From my experience with over three years gametime playing France on Hard, I think GB is pretty impotent. In my game, AI controlled GB's actions against me have been three understrength invasions of Normandy and semi-blockades of my Atlantic ports. That's it after three years of gametime. The Norman invasions have consisted of single understrength stacks with too many militia units. Plus they occur too infrenquently to support one another: I crush the invasion and then months of gametime go by until another one occurs.

How the CAI has handled the Royal Navy has been my biggest disappointment. It's been a complete non-factor especially since it doesn't seem to understand that there are other bodies of water on the map other than the Bay of Biscay and the English Channel! I wouldn't mind the British army being such a non-factor if the Royal Navy was doing its thing by making me fight for my foriegn trade! It simply isn't. I collect a nice sum every turn thanks to my undisturbed Mediterranean trade nodes and routes.

I simply don't understand why NTW's CAI is so badly handling its navies. In contrast 1.5 ETW's CAI handles the naval aspects of that game pretty well: it responds to trade routes raids, does strong blockades of important enemy ports, and hunts down rival fleets with ruthless efficiency. Playing France in ETW post 1.4 patch could be a real challenge due to the Royal Navy. NTW is supposed to have a superior CAI to ETW, but, frankly, I'm not seeing that at all with regards to the naval aspect of the game. I like a lot about NTW, but impotent Great Britain with its feckless navy ranks as a disppointment.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Britain also does wacky things for me when I play as the French. They invade me a couple of times, then they send a full stack navy with a full stack army over to that port by Caen, and they just sit there for the rest of the game. Literally. After a couple invasions it seems GB gets bugged out and just stops doing anything.

I've had good experiences with the Royal Navy though, playing as the French on H/H the RN gave me hell of a time. Kept blockading my ports, and I couldn't build up navies fast enough to fight against them. I finally managed to crush Nelson's massive fleet, when another full stack appeared ready to take me on right after.

So i'd say the Naval Invasions are more bugged than anything. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinmajere8 View Post

So i'd say the Naval Invasions are more bugged than anything. :shrug:
    Based on my experience with ETW, that's nothing new. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I suspect, this has something to do with research bonuses Ottomans get. Whenever I try to trade some techs with them, it turns out Ottomans have a bundle of techs 'above me', while I have nothing to offer them... I guess, CA took the Middle East and Anatolia from the Ottomans and is trying to compensate them with an unrealistic tech advantage.
    That's exactly what it has to do with, although they don't get any sort of "unrealistic tech advantage" or "research bonuses".

Rather, they have 2 schools from the start of the game, churning out research. Which is more than any other faction, except maybe the player's, who won't have that same advantage for some time, as he has to build his 2nd school first.

And the first faction to research a tech, boys and girls, gets a pretty hefty prestige bonus.

Before you know it, they're at the top of the prestige board, simply because somebody at CA thought it would be a good idea (for whatever reason. It doesn't make any logical sense to me, but then I don't work there, so whatever) to give them 1 more school than anybody else gets.
    Last edited by The Vicar; March 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
    That's exactly what it has to do with, although they don't get any sort of "unrealistic tech advantage" or "research bonuses".

Rather, they have 2 schools from the start of the game, churning out research. Which is more than any other faction, except maybe the player's, who won't have that same advantage for some time, as he has to build his 2nd school first.

And the first faction to research a tech, boys and girls, gets a pretty hefty prestige bonus.

Before you know it, they're at the top of the prestige board, simply because somebody at CA thought it would be a good idea (for whatever reason. It doesn't make any logical sense to me, but then I don't work there, so whatever) to give them 1 more school than anybody else gets.
    You'd think that they would see that this nerfs the prestige system in a few play throughs. The more I play this game the more I get upset with Great Britain. Don't get me wrong I think its a pretty fun game and one of my favourite total wars to date but it is really silly that you cant count on the royal navy at all to keep the English Channel clear of French boats.

In my Prussian campaign they did nothing. They just sat back and let the Spanish take Gibraltar.

Yeah, under AI control the GB is nothing but a joke. As France, I recruit 4 6-pdr, 2 Chasseur a Cheval and 5 Fusilier of the Line in Paris. I also ordered Napoleon and his troops to join this force. A brig was also ordered.

Then, Nappy and the combined army board on this small ship, sailed to England, (where's Nelson? he's blockading one of my trade port rather than search for spanish or my fleet. The impotent Villeneuve's fleet has already rushed into the port on Corsica) , crushed Wellesley's and Moore's armies and captured London! I sacked the city and ordered all building in England destroyed. Then Nappy marched on Scotland and Ireland. He "liberated" both regions. By this, I successfully kick GB out of the war.

What's more funny, Nelson's fleet had never made any attempt to attack my small brig. After this successful campaign on the British Iles, Nappy and his army boarded this ship again and went back to France.
    Last edited by oliphaunt119911; March 11, 2010 at 09:16 AM.

Lol. All GB did the entire game while I was playing Russia was send full stacks of armies near MY cities and sit there. After the 4th shipment of suspicious looking armies came in my territory, I just canceled Military access and they all went away lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12