Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh you glorious generals (Wellington Bug)

Default Oh you glorious generals (Wellington Bug)

Love the game, kinda fed up with a very annoying AI tradition tho.....

I call it the Wellington Bug... the bug that ensures the mighty enemy general has been having a drink before the battle as he charges his small cavalery unit into my main body...suicide as result.

The Duke of Wellington has a nasty habbit of throwing his life away and the rest of all the enemy generals are following in his footsteps.

Is this something that only the lower difficulty standing has or is it just me, I've tried it on medium and hard and this thing keeps recurring.

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Oh you glorious generals (Wellington Bug)

This has been a problem with every TW game since Rome.
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

I even had two general units (one on the field and one coming as reinforcements) meeting up in the middle of... my line. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.

Waterloo would have been very different if Wellington and Blucher had run towards each other right into the middle of the French army!

If you want to avoid that, I heard a lot of good stuff on Lutnik's AI mod, where the generals seem less suicidal (didn't test it myself for the moment)

The AI targets your leaders.

Just as it targets artillery and tries to flank your infantry.

If you don’t keep a careful eye on them they will be toast.

Iv noticed they move up a bit in front of the enemy army but i don't think iv seen them charge my line

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hue View Post
    The AI targets your leaders.

Just as it targets artillery and tries to flank your infantry.

If you don’t keep a careful eye on them they will be toast.
    I think the OP was speaking about the enemy generals controlled by the AI.

the suicide generals bug,alive and well since rtw!

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Generals sometimes ride ahead of the main army but they always stop short of the line's firing arc in my games. The only time I've seen them actually be suicidal with a general is when the "general" is a regular unit (they still use it in it's regular capacity).

I use battle difficulty "very hard". AI generals have never charged into my lines.

Try it! You can stand that level.

this is a weird problem some people have it others don't, may I ask about your playing style I'm really interested in how that affects the AI

This must be because it seems AI is trying to move in formations where although the general is at the back rank, does not slow his speed accordingly and ends up reeaching his position before his fellow line (usually infantry). Hopefully when the fix formation movement this bug will be gone.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

I think that at walking pace all units should go at the same speed. It was terribly annoying in MTW2 and RTW where your cavalry would overtake your infantry when marching in formation.

Evan

If you have light infantry on the wing, its a guaranteed suicide general charge.

If you have artillery present, the AI will leave its defensive positions and charge the artillery.

The game needs a patch in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by irish437 View Post
    If you have light infantry on the wing, its a guaranteed suicide general charge.

If you have artillery present, the AI will leave its defensive positions and charge the artillery.

The game needs a patch in a bad way.

/agree

If I were betting though, I would predict the suicide bug is never addressed...

At least there's a mod to weaken / remove the assassination of general officers every 5 minutes...

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Oh, how I laugh and cry at that moment in battle when the enemy general is shot by my laser-muskets...

Difficulty settings do only improve the stats of the AI, not make it smarter. So on Easy a Militia will charge directly an Old Guard and die, on VH it will rout the Old Guard.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Senator

lol

Strange i have seena few BAI tom fooleries but not this suicidal general gig yet I normally take him out with cannons which are um a touch to accurate(or if aimed badly so terrible inaccurate they shot your own men

I guess 30 to 40 hours hasnt been enough to see a lemings style AI reaction seen a few chicken dances where under fire the AI has looked like its trying to make a decision what its going to do and has gone one way then the other then finally routed from the sustained fire it took while deciding

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

I did see this once, but all the battles afterwards worked fine. I'm more annoyed when my generals die for no reason when I jump back to campaign map.

I know this is a little common, that the general rides ahead of the main army but this.... The enemy general literally rushes into my entire army while the rest of his army is still a mile behind...

BigFiasco's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Abadagoulous View Post
    I know this is a little common, that the general rides ahead of the main army but this.... The enemy general literally rushes into my entire army while the rest of his army is still a mile behind...

yep. this happens in my game ALOT. Kinda hard to make a house rule of "Dont kill the enemy general when hes right in your face!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast