Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How to Create a Mod

Default Re: How to Create a Mod

btw i noticed we need to access the common folder inside steam apps but when i open steam apps i only see 1 folder: sourcemods...any advice?

Hi, I've liked tha Total War games for years and decided to get into modding them after seeing the awesome creations of the modding community. I decided to create a simple mod to see how the process works, and iron out any problems. I created the unit, using both Erasmus's guide and Aldgarkalaughskel's custom unit guide. However, when I thought I'd finished my mod, and tried to start NTW with it in effect, I found that NTW CTDs at the splash screen. I'll upload the mod, and hope that you guys can see the mistake I've made, and, hopefully, help me fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Angry

You have left some blank lines in building_units_allowed table. Remove them and you are good to go (tested).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also it is better to have in your tables only the line(s) that have to do with your new unit(s) so your pack is small and easy to find what you want. But in this case you have always to rename your files (as you've done adding _tested). Then your units_tested should look like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last, units_to_grouping... table is not necessary as long as you use units_t0_exclusive... table.
    Last edited by husserlTW; April 06, 2011 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks! I'll make the changes now. So, to summarise: Only have the line(s) pertaining to the changes you have made, and don't leave blanks, and mods should work?

Made the changes... Still getting CTDs on launch... Uploaded the new version for you guys to sse whaatever it is i've done wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Angry
    Last edited by THE_ANGRY_GAMER; April 06, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

First of all you have to double check your pack. If you had done that you would see that there is a mistake in building_unit_allowed table (unknown unit in first line causing CTD, delete it and it shall work fine). Also do not add new changes until you find the mistake in first place (you've added a new ability for your custom unit but this is ok.). Last, are you going to make some uniform for your unit (you'll need 2 more tables to add)?

Thanks - after deleting the line, and adding in some values in unit_stats_land, the unit is working and fighting like a standard line unit. I'm going to give it the uniform of the standard british infantry first, then do some research and make it historically accurate. Why did that particular line cause a CTD? Thanks again,

Amgry

There was not any reference of that unit in ant other table so game could not validate your pack.

Question:

My NTW Mod Pack File Manager does not have the right window as shown. So basically I am stuck on step 13 :/. Anyway to fix it? I just have a grey blank right window..
    Andrew I. Kanzler von Preußen

Update: I answered my own question. Delete this post if you want.
    Last edited by KB1869; July 12, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

can u like make a youtube video and show us how to do it right

Does this only work with netframework 3.5 or also 4.5 ?

Ok, so how do I get this thing to work? Ive watched a video on how to do this, did everything he says and the changes were not showing. Now I come here, make a few changes by this thread and now im getting CTD once I hit battle, land, map select and then begin...CTD....

So, what did I miss? I made the script, put the mod in the data folder.....

Quote Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
    Ok, so how do I get this thing to work? Ive watched a video on how to do this, did everything he says and the changes were not showing. Now I come here, make a few changes by this thread and now im getting CTD once I hit battle, land, map select and then begin...CTD....

So, what did I miss? I made the script, put the mod in the data folder.....
    There no edit button?

Anyway, I extracted the data db thing and simply edited a series of British units in that table. Didnt delete or add any lines, just edited the existing numbers. I did try to change the 6lb cannons into Howitzers....idk if that messes everything up but the changes arent showing period.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
    There no edit button?

Anyway, I extracted the data db thing and simply edited a series of British units in that table. Didnt delete or add any lines, just edited the existing numbers. I did try to change the 6lb cannons into Howitzers....idk if that messes everything up but the changes arent showing period.
    Could you explain in more detail what you are really trying to modify?

I did this and it didn't do anything, I followed exactly what it said....

I've modded rome 2 fine. This game though doesn't register the changes . I just changed some values with British line infantry. Sometimes it crashes at startup, that comes and goes when I play around withe the files. Why don't the values change in game?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

What file did you edit?

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    What file did you edit?
    unit_stat_land_tables
    unit_table

I changed only melee attack, defence, morale. on all British line infantry.

could the problem be with something else? maybe with pfm? something i'm not doing right?

I have a mod manager for NTW. when i open it, an error pops up and it says there is no pack file in data folder. If i remove the mod, the mod manager doesn't come up with any errors.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I didn't ask what table, but what file. Did you edit data.pack?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast