Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How to Create a Mod

Default Re: How to Create a Mod

Mods flat out refuse to work for me , i tried my own and mods on this forum. I put the pack file in my data folder and there is no change ingame even when i put the script files in . I have no idea what is wrong

Erasmus, thank you for this tutorial.
    2k18
    Bigger & Badder.

Frogus's Avatar Laetus

Hi, I have followed your instructions so far, but when I try to reach the scripts directory, via C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts, the "Application Data" folder isn't there, so I'm getting cut out of finishing the mod. Do you have any solutions to this problem? Maybe another path?

Use this tool!

Frogus's Avatar Laetus

@husserlTW: I followed your link and downloaded your tool, but when I try to run "Create_UserScript" the console box only flashes open before instantly closing. What should I do to fix this? Sorry for being a pain, I just want to get my mods working.
    Last edited by Frogus; July 28, 2010 at 05:11 AM.

That means that user.script.txt exists, so proceed with Editing that with Edit_UserScript.exe.

hey good guide buy where would i find like units like no the campain units but the in game units such as prussian fussileers and lancers and so forth?
    mostly voltigers because i want to edit them to the point where th outdo chasseurs statistcly but still fit the skirmisher tab
    Last edited by seanjkl; August 02, 2010 at 07:02 PM.

Ok, what exactly are the tables or files Im looking for? I have PFM and this is my first time modding, and I dont know what to extract to PFM, Im "helping" (if my terrible nooby modding skills deserve even that) my friend with a mod he made and I have the files but when I try extracting them from the data folder to put in the My Mods folder it says Cannot open file 'C:\Program File\Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war\data\wwii. pack' as archive. Thanking i.a. for any help, Im trying to help him improve his hopeless mod. lol. But thanks!
    Tell General Howard I know his Heart. What He told me before I have in my heart. I am tired of fighting, Looking Glass is dead. too-Hul-hul-sote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led on the young men is dead. It is cold and we have no blankets. The little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are--perhpas freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever." -Chief Joseph's Surrender Speech After Bears Paw Battle. October 5th, 1877

The tables are records with several elements of the game you can change and they are located in db (database) of pack files. Most important are in patch4.pack. For the rest check data.pack.

Alright, I found it, thanks!
    Tell General Howard I know his Heart. What He told me before I have in my heart. I am tired of fighting, Looking Glass is dead. too-Hul-hul-sote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led on the young men is dead. It is cold and we have no blankets. The little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are--perhpas freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever." -Chief Joseph's Surrender Speech After Bears Paw Battle. October 5th, 1877

Hello all...If this becomes a wall of text let me apologize now

I would like to say a big thank you to all the modders here who have added so much to my ntw experience...In fact I would have returned the game within EB's 7 day policy if not for you guys!

I know I will forget some but especially Erasmus, toon, vicar, hussar, halberdier?, radious, brig graham, and several others whose names have escaped me. You have all answered so many questions without my having to register and ask them just by my reading (quite frankly a ton) a whole bunch of threads with the questions of others...Years worth of threads and posts and that kind of dedication to something we all enjoy is very much apprieciated

Now I do have a question or rather I believe I messed up and would like someone to point out where (and laugh if you like ) and what I might do to unmess this...

I recently downloaded ntf and toon all in one (and a bunch of other mods), and while playing as scotland discovered I was going to have to hold back my ambitions of conquering more than "The Scottish Isles" due to the fact that there were not enough babies being born to become future Highlanders...ie I ran into the unit cap of 10...In poking around on a way past this I discovered a tutorial by erasmus on modding...And my troubles began...lol

I managed to remove the unit cap and thought..."Why stop there?" (probably the first glimmering thought of any modder before the abyss) and decided to add some units to scotlands roster...It works, sort of...The units are there but I cant make the placeholders go away...also I tried to edit the stats of the "42nd Blackwatch" to better reflect them as an elite as opposed to "Why the hell are these guys worse than the regular Highland infantry?!"...but no luck, in fact, even the values in the unit_land_tables arent whats written on the unit info card in game.

Here is my attempt...please be kind to a first timer

You have to add uniforms and uniform_to_faction_colours, assigning the units to scotland. uniform_to_faction_colours is also for changing the colors of uniforms, so you can change the numbers to Scotland's colors (numbers are 3 sets of R G B for trousers, jacket and shirt (including belts, etc.).

But in this way Britain will have the same problem with you. The right way is to make new custom units. You actually change only the names of units (in all tables) using the rest entries from vanilla, but you'll need more tables to edit (plus building_allowed_units and unit_to_unit_abilities_junctions).

Last in units tables some units are assigned to be recruitable only in Scotland. Perhaps Line inf should be global.
    Last edited by husserlTW; September 06, 2010 at 12:14 PM.

bugger, double post...a mod could delete this one...I tried edit but replied, sorry
    Last edited by kepi; September 07, 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Ok, I had a look thru all the entries I could think of including the ones you mentioned...Have I missed anything to create them as "new" units?

db
    uniform tables
    uniform faction colours
    building unit allowed
    unit tech tables
    unit stats land
    unit to unit abilitys
    unit tables
    unit factions permissions

ui
    unit info
    unit icon

Do this for all the units I want to bring to scotland and change not only the in game names but the registry names?

These are the files. You have to change the actual names (e.g. Inf_Skirm_British_Rifles) and not the on screen name (e.g. Rifles). If you want to change the on screen names you have to change them in localisation_loc. But that's another story, one step at a time. Also you do not need ui icons.

what is mod?

Quote Originally Posted by billmorf View Post
    what is mod?
    *sigh* a mod (moddification) is something that changes one aspect of the game, for example i have x amount of old guard left, but i can make it so that i have 3x or 4x or whatever i want that is just one example it go so far as to makeing new units.

Hi,
    I have strange problem - I am unable to edit any table, I am even not able to see the data in tables (I am able to do it using DBEditor in viewer mode). I am using Windows7 - 64 bit, have installed MS Framework 4.0... I've tried few tools including recommended NTW editor. If I am trying to open anything there is occur an error. Do you have any idea where is the problem. I've only tried to change limits for few naval units in my ETW...
    If you have any idea where the problem might be - please help.
    A.

It is reported again some problem with MS Framework 4.0 (originally PFM requires 3.5). Normally it shouldn't be a problem but that was the report...

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    It is reported again some problem with MS Framework 4.0 (originally PFM requires 3.5). Normally it shouldn't be a problem but that was the report...
    Ok, thanx, so I will try with framework 3.5

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast