Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How to Create a Mod

Default Re: How to Create a Mod

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Ask and... you will be given. You have to ask something specific. What mod are you trying to make (add unit, change stats, etc.) what is the problem?
    Listen to husserl. Also, if you have a mod that you've tried to make, please attach it to your post. It makes it much easier to see what the problem is.

i am trying to change unit statues for the french and also in the unit table change there cost.also im trying to change the statues on ships.

Are you trying to change data or patch pack or you are making a new mod? If you are making your own did you change the name of all the db tables (e.g. units to my_units, units_stat_land to my_units_stat_land, etc.)?If you cannot do anything compress and upload it here.

WTF I GET STUCK AT STEP 11 AFTER I PRESSS INSERT WHERE DO I GO? I TRIED CLICKING ON DATA BUT I GET ERROR!

klesh's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by djsnipy View Post
    WTF I GET STUCK AT STEP 11 AFTER I PRESSS[sic] INSERT WHERE DO I GO? I TRIED CLICKING ON DATA BUT I GET ERROR!

First of all, hit the Caps Lock key then take a deep breath.

In step 11, you are inserting the tables into your new .pack file which you previously extracted from the data.pack in step 6. Those tables are located in the folder you created in step 2.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Emperor BLUBBS VII's Avatar Decanus

Thanx a LOT
    Advance to Contact. Duffer Mod.

I am terrible at modding, and was wondering how do you export the table as .pack?

Quote Originally Posted by xxoverlordxx View Post
    I am terrible at modding, and was wondering how do you export the table as .pack?
    You don't. Did you try following the tutorial? It's pretty simple.

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

I don't understand the user-script thread.
    Can anyone summarise?
    Last edited by Hakomar; May 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Rest in peace, Calvin.
    (28th April, 1975 - 28th October, 2009)

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    I don't understand the user-script thread.
    Can anyone summarise?
    The ETW/NTW engine has a built-in mod loading method that allows you to switch packs on and off. This doesn't really have an interface but the switching is done by creating a file called user.script.txt in your scripts directory and entering the mod packs you want to load into them.

So, first set your mod type to "mod pack" by right-clicking in PFM, go to "Change Mod Type" and select mod pack, then edit something and save. Be sure to copy the name of your pack file, including the extension, for example I have a file for testing purposes called "alpaca_1.pack".

Then navigate to your scripts directory, in ETW it's in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts" (I forgot where it's in 7/Vista). Then copy preferences.script.txt and rename the copy to user.script.txt.*

Open the file in Notepad or another text editor, remove all lines and add a line like this:
    Code:
    mod "alpaca_1.pack";
    Save and your mod pack will be loaded by the game. For each additional pack, add another line. I always use quotes and you have to supply the semi-colon ";" at the end of each line.

If you add another pack further down, any files in that pack which have the same name as a file in a pack above that, or a vanilla pack, will override the copy from the above pack, i.e. the file in the last pack that contains it will be used.

Additional info: you can put any settings you have in the preferences.script.txt into the user.script.txt which can be useful because the user script is not overridden when you save options in the game. I have a user script for testing that has windowed mode enabled and uses a lower resolution, and a user script for playing which doesn't have these settings. You'll have to rename the one you want to use to user.script.txt when you start the game.

* Copying preferences.script.txt will automatically make sure the new file is saved with unicode encoding, rather than ANSI which is the default when you create a new text file. So it's the easiest method to create a user script.
    Last edited by alpaca; May 22, 2010 at 04:12 AM.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

That is very helpful, +rep.
    Thanks again, I love all helpful people like you on TWC
    Rest in peace, Calvin.
    (28th April, 1975 - 28th October, 2009)

Emperor BLUBBS VII's Avatar Decanus

YOUR NAME IS ERIC :O
    Advance to Contact. Duffer Mod.

woto's Avatar Tiro

i have a question, i would like to add a new unit to napoleon total war, but when i open a tutorial then they reffer to another tutorial, then they reffer to 5 other tutorials ... so when i got to the beginnning i need to make a mod.
    here's my question:
    i don't really understand step 4, it's kinda confusing
    and stepp 11 is also a probleme, when i press 'insert' nothing happens, and if something would happen, which are my disired tables?

Quote Originally Posted by woto View Post
    i have a question, i would like to add a new unit to napoleon total war, but when i open a tutorial then they reffer to another tutorial, then they reffer to 5 other tutorials ... so when i got to the beginnning i need to make a mod.
    here's my question:
    i don't really understand step 4, it's kinda confusing
    and stepp 11 is also a probleme, when i press 'insert' nothing happens, and if something would happen, which are my disired tables?
    When you click File>Open in PFM, you'll need to browse to get to the files you want to open. Follow the path I listed in #4. I'm guessing nothing happens in #11 because you don't have a .pack open into which to insert anything.

woto's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    When you click File>Open in PFM, you'll need to browse to get to the files you want to open. Follow the path I listed in #4.
    thats the problem, i don't know what to open

Quote Originally Posted by woto View Post
    thats the problem, i don't know what to open
    follow the path I provided, then go to the data folder, then start with data.pack and patch3.pack.

Good morning ...

I'm trying to change two tables patch3.pack (last official update for the game) - (db / units_stats_lands_tabs / units_stats_lands and db / units_tables / units) and I've gotten CTD, I have been lucky. What I do is - see below:

1) - The columns that do change in table "UNITS_STATS_LAND" are: "UNIT SIZE", "NUMBER OF HORSES" and "NUMBER OF Artillery"- (the goal is to leave the game in terms of numbers, more realistic in general is as follows:
    - Foot_Artillery units have walk between 120 and 150 men and between 6 and 10 guns;
    - Horse_Artillery units have 120 men with 10 cannons and 60 horses;
    - Infantry units, regardless of type, has 400 men;
    - Cavalry Units of 150 men and 150 horses;
    - Control units [generals] 100 men with 100 horses, the exception to the foot control unit that has horses and 150 men (Column Unit Id = Gen_Generals_Staff_Foot Ref));

2) - Columns that change in the table "UNITS" are: "TURNS TO BUILD" (step for all the value 1), "UNIT LIMIT" (step for all the value 0 [zero] the exception of units with names of generals which are worth one) and "MP UNIT LIMIT" (change equals column "UNIT LIMIT";

3) - also changed the name of the tables for "UNITS_STATS_LAND_MOD" and "UNITS_MOD";

These are small changes that do not work and that unfortunately, even though the user.script prepared as recommended guidelines.

What may be happening? Can anyone help me?

I thank everyone's attention.

Sorry for bad English.

Attached below the file you have prepared for testing and if someone can see where I'm wrong.

Hugs
    Last edited by Reis2709; June 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM.

Your problems are simple: a) Horse artillery have always 0 horses in units_stat_land b) the men size in artillery units should always be 6 * X where X is the number of cannons. So there where you assign 8 cannons you should assign 6 * 8 = 48 men, 10 cannons 60 men so on. Do this and you'll see your mod like this:

Guys, good afternoon ...
    HusserlTW Thanks for your reply .. I am grateful.
    I'll make the suggested changes and test today.
    I tried making these changes in artillery units of the game NAPOLEON TW, were conducted in the artillery units of the game EMPIRE TW; In it I have units with 100 men and six cannon; At no time have experienced problems such as CTD.
    I honestly thought that the structure of NAPOLEON TW was equal or similar to EMPIRE to make changes, but apparently is not true.
    This is "boring" because you think something and unfortunately can not put into practice, as put more realism into battle with the changes in artillery units.
    But the game is so.
    So thank you once again and after testing the modification post the result.
    Hugs.
    Last edited by Reis2709; June 22, 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Hi all ..
    HusserlTW tested and it worked ... Show ...!!!
    I also tested with the artillery with the numbers reported in the first message with a minimum of 100 men and six guns, and also works ..
    I found what I had done wrong, was not properly extracting the tables, did not change their names and made the change, therefore, did not work. But now properly following the tutorial worked.
    So if someone wants to use the mode that was attached can because he is 100% functional, at least here it worked.
    Hug.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast