Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How to Create a Mod

Default Re: How to Create a Mod

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Dignan♔ View Post
    Well, I just can't seem to get this to work.

Here is what I am doing

1. I open units_stats_land in PFM.
    2. I extract JUST this database to my desktop.
    3. Go back into PFM and open units_stats_land file I created on my desktop
    4. I delete all rows except grenadiers
    5. I change their unit size from 120 to 160 and I change "can throw grenades" from "true" to "false" for all grenadier units.
    6. I make the file a "mod" type
    7. I rename units_stats_land db name by ONE character "Wunits_stats_land"
    8. I save to my desktop
    9. I put the saved mod file in my data folder and add the name of the mod to my script file.

I seem to have no problems with this kind of thing in ETW and I also have no problems with any of the other mods I'm running for NTW. But I can't get this simple fix to work. When I go into a custom battle all grenadiers are still size 90 (on large unit size) and they still have the ability to throw grenades. Sometimes the game just CTDs at this point but either way it isn't working. Anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing a step?
    For testing purposes try changing your mod type to "movie". Other ideas: check to see if any of the mods you're using also include the unit_stats_land table and if so, could they be overwriting your mod; you could also try to take the extracted db and "db" folder and place them in your data directory. Then add your table to a mod that you know is working. If you have a mod that also modifies the grenadiers, it's possible yours is getting overwritten.
    Last edited by erasmus777; March 28, 2010 at 06:57 PM.

Also check again the script command. If nothing of these that Erasmus mentioned occur just compress and upload the pack here.

please tell me the answer aswell, i tried it multiple times. i must be missing something vital (like a step)..no idea what.

i suppose if i have problems with dlc ill deactivate mods until its running ok. most of the mods i have installed do NOT rename the db files.

p.s. i also think it is a case of mods being overwritten (or conflicting), at least thats what my logic tells me...
    Last edited by adamsleath; March 29, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
    Viva la France
    q9550|quad core enabled with CPU Control 2.1|GTX 480|6GB DDR2|Vista HP 64bit|BenQG2420

Well I'm stumped. I've tried everything that is suggested here. The ridiculous thing is that I have made these kind of mods before for ETW with no problems.

Would one of you fine gentlemen be able to make a small mod and upload it here for me? Maybe then I could see if its something wrong with my game. All I want is for all grenadier units to be teh same size as line infantry and remove their ability to use grenades. +rep for anyone who can create this for me. I would be very appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Dignan♔ View Post
    Well I'm stumped. I've tried everything that is suggested here. The ridiculous thing is that I have made these kind of mods before for ETW with no problems.

Would one of you fine gentlemen be able to make a small mod and upload it here for me? Maybe then I could see if its something wrong with my game. All I want is for all grenadier units to be teh same size as line infantry and remove their ability to use grenades. +rep for anyone who can create this for me. I would be very appreciative.
    Why don't you attach your mod to the thread? Maybe one of us can get it to work. It would also save both parties a lot of work

Here you go. Thanks.

EDIT: For reference the only other mods I am running are musket/artillery sound mods, no dust, no tracers and Luntik's battle AI mod.

I cannot see any problem in your pack:

Changes are there in unit size (160 X 0.75 = 120) and also in abilities (no grenades). Though this is not a problem, why you have so many entry-rows for the same unit?

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    I cannot see any problem in your pack:

Changes are there in unit size (160 X 0.75 = 120) and also in abilities (no grenades). Though this is not a problem, why you have so many entry-rows for the same unit?
    HusserlTW, thanks for looking at my mod pack.

What do you mean by "so many entry rows for the same unit?" Unless there was a glitch in the saving of my mod pack, I believe there is one entry row for every type of grenadier in the game. Is that not what it is showing?

Anyway, it looks like the mod worked for you. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'll disable ALL of my other mods and try just this mod. Are you running in mod, patch or movie format?

Have a look:

It is only Austrian German Grens. Is your PFM right?

I have an undoubtedly stupid question and pardon me if it has been asked before. I have modified various mods before for my own purposes of course but have run into a problem that I am confident that you can readily resolve. In creating a mod for NTW it appears that one can only create a .pack mod from a .pack mod for db tables. I attempted to use what I believe is called a .movie mod (does not need to appear in user. script) and ran into unexpected consequences. Using a .pack mod as a base no problem. Could you enlighten me on the process? thanks in advance.

I might add one more question. Is there any reason why one could not add additional tables to a mod that has been proven to work as expected or does one need to start again from scratch? Or perhaps more correctly is it merely better without unanticipated consequences.
    Last edited by trk; April 01, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

You should not have any problems with movie packs. Check if you have forgotten to rename your tables or if there are any conflicts. You can add tables to an existing pack but be alert because after CA's updates sometimes tables header's are changed so you have to use the new one.

Have a look:

It is only Austrian German Grens. Is your PFM right?
    Interesting. That could be my problem. Not sure how that happened but I'll take a look at my PFM with the mod and see if it is the same. Thanks.

Ok. Finally got this working. Not sure what I did different but it works now. Thanks for all your help Husser and erasmus. +rep

Ok so I finally got it to work after numerous tries. I followed your guide and got it to work exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

Hey On I think step eleven, after you save, I cant find the options, Is there a way of getting my mod working without doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
    Hey On I think step eleven, after you save, I cant find the options, Is there a way of getting my mod working without doing that?

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks HusserTW, By the way I love your starpos mod, Oh and one question, Howcome it lets you play as france? cant you like Already play as france, People just need to open the campaigns, then they will have the next one, they just need to repeat until you unlock french campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
    Thanks HusserTW, By the way I love your starpos mod, Oh and one question, Howcome it lets you play as france? cant you like Already play as france, People just need to open the campaigns, then they will have the next one, they just need to repeat until you unlock french campaign!
    Thanks. The deference is that you can have France in a free play and not following the missions.

Icon4 Re: How to Create a Mod

I need help with creating a mod i have tried everything and nothing works if some one can please help it would be great help.

Quote Originally Posted by menchacac View Post
    I need help with creating a mod i have tried everything and nothing works if some one can please help it would be great help.
    Ask and... you will be given. You have to ask something specific. What mod are you trying to make (add unit, change stats, etc.) what is the problem?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast