Thread: If Alexander was never born

Default If Alexander was never born

What if alexander the great of macedon was never born and the persian empire never fell?
    Phillip would have died and the greeks would go back to in fighting.
    So Would it be Rome vs Persia or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Default Re: If Alexander was never born

who would win rome or persai

Why would Greece have gone back to feuding? Philip was a character of extreme ability, yes, but his successor would inherit both the deadly Macedonian army and the political hegemony of Macedon itself. An invasion of Persia was inevitable.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos VII Sidetes View Post
    Why would Greece have gone back to feuding? Philip was a character of extreme ability, yes, but his successor would inherit both the deadly Macedonian army and the political hegemony of Macedon itself. An invasion of Persia was inevitable.
    maybe, but their were several other candidates for heir of macedon a civil war would have broke out. plus the greeks wanted to rebel ever since they were defeted at Chaeronea
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Napolean Bonaparte IX View Post

hmm.... thats a hard one

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Napolean Bonaparte IX View Post
    Around 300bc, I guess it would be a tie. Because Rome wasn't developed by its marius reforms.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Story Brah View Post
    Around 300bc, I guess it would be a tie. Because Rome wasn't developed by its marius reforms.
    Or more liek Persians completely annihlating the Roman, Rome was tiny at 300bc and the Persian Empire was still the supreme power in region if not the world
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Moved from VV main to Alt History. This has the feel of a vs. discussion and not really a discussion suited to the main forum.

VP
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

The Persian Empire wasn't really spreading by then mind, if anything it may have been slowly stagnating.

But then, would Pyrrus of Epirus possibly take the place of Alexander?

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Possibly. He was a charismatic general and if the Macedonian royal line was unpopular and/or incompetent, he could take over power. But without Alexander, and if Olympias hadn't borne another heir to Philip, he would have had no proper dynastic claim on the Macedonian throne.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that an invasion of the Persian Empire was inevitable. Persian gold in the right pockets could lead the destabilization and collapse of the Corinthian League, given enough time, and then the Greeks would keep fighting each other instead of the Persians.

people dont watch that stupid movie(Oliver Stone) - persian soldiers running to the spears and die, they never think about what happens if they stop running(i bet they were cleverer than that..)
    "Surely Allah enjoins to do justice and to adopt good behavior and to give help to relatives-neighours(whoever you can reach), and forbids shameful acts, evil deeds and oppressive attitude. He exhorts you, so that you may be mindful." Qur'an; 16:90 (this is the verse that is recited every friday in sermons during the Friday Prayer rituals)
    "Beware! Whoever is cruel and hard on a non-Muslim minority, curtails their rights, burdens them with more than they can bear, or takes anything from them against their free will; I (Prophet Muhammad) will complain against the person on the Day of Judgment." Prophet Muhammad

Quote Originally Posted by maerd2003 View Post
    people dont watch that stupid movie(Oliver Stone) - persian soldiers running to the spears and die, they never think about what happens if they stop running(i bet they were cleverer than that..)
    But I like that movie.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

In my opinion, a limited invasion of Persia would have occurred. I don't think there was another man of Alexander's level who would be able to replicate his achievement, so maybe another ruler would be able to have secured a chunk of Darius's empire before bogging down.

Wegen7 die Große's Avatar Domesticus
    In the country side of the once glorious British Isles.

Quite obvious, Phillip would die of assassination then his heir would take the throne, the heir would defeat the rebellion in greece then go off to attack the persians in asia minor and since the heir would not be a tactical genius like alexander then he would be defeated sooner or later and then war would continue until rome defeats carthage and then decides to help the greeks and macedonians.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

There's a possibility that Phillip's heir would invade Rome..
    THe invasion of Persia was something that was organized by Phillip and Alexander just chose to complete his father's dream..
    Maybe his other heir would have wanted to do something else.. Macedonia had the strongest and most organized army in Europe by that time anyway so I think he would have done something his army..
    I like the scenario of an invasion of Rome which had only started to extend its dominions in Latium against the Etruscans and the Samnites.. The Roman army of this era would have been easily defeated by the Macedonian, also keeping in mind that the Macedonian generals and the Macedonian officers were very good commanders..
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    There's a possibility that Phillip's heir would invade Rome..
    THe invasion of Persia was something that was organized by Phillip and Alexander just chose to complete his father's dream..
    Maybe his other heir would have wanted to do something else.. Macedonia had the strongest and most organized army in Europe by that time anyway so I think he would have done something his army..
    I like the scenario of an invasion of Rome which had only started to extend its dominions in Latium against the Etruscans and the Samnites.. The Roman army of this era would have been easily defeated by the Macedonian, also keeping in mind that the Macedonian generals and the Macedonian officers were very good commanders..
    I do not really think that any sensible ruler of Makedonia could ignore the Persian empire, especially considering its tendency to use its vast economical power to finance rebellions against whoever seemed to become the top dog in Greece. Or that certain events (The military campaign that Xenophon describes about, that the 2nd Athens alliance was able to defeat the Persian Satraps in Asia, when the Satrap of Frygia asked for assistance (356 or 355 bc, can't remember)) showed that Persian Empire was still strong but not invincible.

On the other hand why would they bother to go west side, and Italy for that. Even if someone wished to move west, Sicily would be the most lucrative target.

Considering Makedonia had a king strong enough to keep what Philip created, for it could for example crumble like Thebes did, there is a high possibility that a war with Persia would follow but nothing real close to what Alexander achieved. Perhaps Persia would be pushed out of western Anatolia, or all of Anatolia for that matter and some compromise later.
    Last edited by Faramir D'Andunie; May 11, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

Phoebus's Avatar εις οιωνος αριστος...

Assuming Alexander was never born and Philip died when he did, Macedon would have been screwed.

Alexander had an older brother--Philip III Arrhidaeos--who was either mentally ill, unbalanced, or incompetent. He was used as a pawn by kingmakers after Alexander's historical death, and would have been used as such after Philip's death in an alternative timeline. No mere kingmaker would have been able to undertake an expedition/conquest on the scale of what Philip and Alexander envisioned while trying to coerce everyone via such tenuous ties to power. Perdiccas & co. showed us this throughout the last two and a half decades or so of the 4th century B.C. Hell, I doubt they would have been able to hold the League of Corinth together.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Theres still the carthaginian empire for rome to defeat first. Macedon supported Carthage the first time, what if its Persia with its huge sums of money supporting Carthage this time.

Wegen7 die Große's Avatar Domesticus
    In the country side of the once glorious British Isles.

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Theres still the carthaginian empire for rome to defeat first. Macedon supported Carthage the first time, what if its Persia with its huge sums of money supporting Carthage this time.
    Ha the Carthaginians are mercenarys they will do anything for trade and money.
    Deutschland Gloria
    Heil dir im Siegerkranz
    Preußens Gloria - Florian Geyer lied *new*
    Königgrätzer Marsch - Ostpreussen Marsch *new*
    Imperial German Navy
    Preußenlied - Ich bin ein Preuße. kennt ihr meine Farben
    Schneidige Truppe
    Die Wacht am Rhein
    Was ist des Deutschen Vaterland
    Das Lied der Deutschen
    Deutschland Gloria (zwei)
    Tannenberg Marsch - Waidmannsheil
    Düppeler Sturm Marsch - Frei Weg
    Erika - Jagdgeschwader Richthofen *new*
    Viktoria Marsche - Unter dem Grillenbanner *new*
    Von der Tann - Siegesmarsch *new*
    EDELWEIß - Badenweiler Marsch *new*
    Alter Jägermarsch *new* - Panzerlied *new version*
    Glory to Britannia
    God Save The Queen
    The British Grenadiers.
    The British Grenadiers Song

DeutschenVaterland's Channel, here are some good videos, for people who enjoy the none liberal Deutschlands/Germanys.
    Hail to the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, rulers of the Commonwealth
    and Belgium!
    Look further down for the rest of my sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Tart Toter View Post
    people in this country (USA) are ing idiots when it comes to understanding politics and the like.
    "People can take whatever they want from a sentence and display it in any fashion they want to" That alone can prove democracy is a failure!

Welthauptstadt Germania eins
    Welthauptstadt Germania zwei

What is a joke without pissing someone else off?
    A bad joke!