Thread: MS Visual Studio 2010 RC (Free until June 30)

Default MS Visual Studio 2010 RC (Free until June 30)

For any would-be programmers/tool developers out there, the release client for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is available for free. You can also get the betas. Visual Studio is the leading development environment for Windows, so if you ever wanted to teach yourself programming and develop the new map editor, I'd recommend you get your hands on this.

The professional versions of VS cost $500+, so if you even think you might want this at some point, I'd suggest taking advantage of the free offer. The catch, however, is that the RC is time limited: it will stop working on June 30, 2010.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by erasmus777; March 09, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Default Re: MS Visual Studio 2010 RC (Free!!!)

Nice find matey!

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    The professional versions of VS cost $500+, so if you even think you might want this at some point, I'd suggest taking advantage of the free offer. You can always burn it to DVD and install it later.
    Every piece of sofware can be free .

Quote Originally Posted by S-te-Fan View Post
    Every piece of sofware can be free .
    True, true, but some of us have consciences about that sort of thing

That, and I believe it's forbidden to encourage piracy on these sites.

So we can expect to see a certain post deleted in not such a very long time, coupled with a nice warning from the admin for the poster.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
    That, and I believe it's forbidden to encourage piracy on these sites.

So we can expect to see a certain post deleted in not such a very long time, coupled with a nice warning from the admin for the poster.
    I have never encouraged piracy on this site, so you just wash your mouth with green soap.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

For any would-be programmers/tool developers out there, the release client for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is available for free. You can also get the betas. Visual Studio is the leading development environment for Windows, so if you ever wanted to teach yourself programming and develop the new map editor, I'd recommend you get your hands on this.

The professional versions of VS cost $500+, so if you even think you might want this at some point, I'd suggest taking advantage of the free offer. You can always burn it to DVD and install it later.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    By "Map Editor" do you mean creating battle maps or actually be able to manipulate the campaign map?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazbones View Post
    By "Map Editor" do you mean creating battle maps or actually be able to manipulate the campaign map?
    Whatever you'd like to contribute, we'd be happy to see. I was just trying to offer a random example of the kinds of mod-related programming projects one might wish to do.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Actually I doubt the licence will allow you to sell (or maybe even release) anything unless you buy VS. Companies aren't known to simply give away things for free.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Actually I doubt the licence will allow you to sell (or maybe even release) anything unless you buy VS. Companies aren't known to simply give away things for free.
    Maybe, but there are a lot of reasons to buy the retail version even if you've got the RC. Developers, esp in a company with multiple employees, will want support. As a RC, it's not subject to updates after the retail version is released. Not all the functionality is enabled. Etc. But for the purposes of people here, I can't see any real limitation on what one can do with it. I'll read the Terms of Use though, just to be sure.

Welcome back, btw

Edit: I read ToU. You can distribute anything you make with the software. The catch is that it stops working on June 30, 2010. I'll be enjoying it until then, though
    Last edited by erasmus777; March 09, 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Whatever you'd like to contribute, we'd be happy to see. I was just trying to offer a random example of the kinds of mod-related programming projects one might wish to do.
    Oh, I was just getting excited that's all. I heard you mention "map editor" and I got giddy.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Maybe, but there are a lot of reasons to buy the retail version even if you've got the RC. Developers, esp in a company with multiple employees, will want support. As a RC, it's not subject to updates after the retail version is released. Not all the functionality is enabled. Etc. But for the purposes of people here, I can't see any real limitation on what one can do with it. I'll read the Terms of Use though, just to be sure.

Welcome back, btw

Edit: I read ToU. You can distribute anything you make with the software. The catch is that it stops working on June 30, 2010. I'll be enjoying it until then, though
    Now that is a pretty big catch I guess I'll stick to express then.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.