Thread: Unable to Play: Cannot Get Past Loading Screen.

Dubersive's Avatar Libertus

Default Unable to Play: Cannot Get Past Loading Screen.

When I first bought NTW, the game worked fine. Now that I've messed around with the graphics a little bit, I am completely unable to play the game.

The loading bar fills up about 3/4 of the way, and then begins to flicker. When I press escape or any other button, I can hear the game sounds and adviser talking, but the loading screen remains. I have been searching for the solution to this problem for some time, and I can't find any helpful advice.

Does anybody have the solution to this incredibly irritating problem? I just want to play!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Unable to Play: Cannot Get Past Loading Screen.

Set you graphic card's settings in its control panel to application, then delete the scripts folder, and try a new campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Set you graphic card's settings in its control panel to application, then delete the scripts folder, and try a new campaign.
    Thanks for the quick response.

I tried to follow your advice, but unfortunately I'm running into serious issues with installing updated drivers and control panel software for my graphics card. I recently installed Windows 7, so I don't have the control panel application installed yet (I forgot to). My laptop is using ATi (unfortunately), and I'm having problem after problem getting the drivers to simply install, let alone the actual Control Center software.

I'll go to ATi's website, select the driver that I need, and it will run the installation, but will not install anything. At all. Except the installation manager. Which won't install anything. It's so incredibly asinine and stupid that I'm seriously considering bashing my laptop against the wall and chucking it out the window.

Is there anyway I'm able to delete these scripts without using a vga control panel? Or am I screwed until ATi decides to get its act together and actually put out software that works?
    Last edited by Dubersive; March 07, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

To get things done right in Win 7, log in as administrator, and when you download and install the drivers, right-click the download, check the security tab in properties that you do have admin rights. Anything less is almost guaranteed failure.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

I'm sorry to hear that installing new drivers for your ati card didn't work. I'm also sorry to inform that since you have a laptop the only drivers that works for you are the ones provided by your OEM, i.e. the company that build that laptop.

Now ATI is trying to stop this nonsense (again) by putting together a monthly/or bimonthly update to your mobile gpu. What you need to do is try to install the 10.3 beta, this is the beginning of their work on this ''new'' trend.

And now for installing the drivers the right way check the troubleshoot thread, and follow irishron advice about the admin privileges.

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Glad to know ATi has recognized the problem and is trying to take care of it.

I'm currently downloading the 10.3 drivers/Catalyst software from this website. Just to be clear, this software will actually install the drivers I need, and I won't need to take any other measures, besides Irishron's directions, to insure that the installation goes well (such as running driver cleaner, etc.)?

Sorry to be nuisance, but I ran into a serious issue yesterday after trying to update my driver through the device manager after running driver cleaner; it kept insisting that I had the "latest drivers" installed, despite the fact that I had just erased all traces of my ATi drivers prior to running the update. I managed to fix the problem by using system restore, but damn! I've never had this much trouble with simply installing drivers before!

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

I don't use Device Manager because it's only as up to date as Microsoft of which for 3rd party drivers is always light years behind short of a court date.

And now for installing the drivers the right way check the troubleshoot thread, and follow irishron advice about the admin privileges.

Woo! Successfully installed the drivers and CCC. Thanks again guys. One last question though:

Which scripts folder are you referring to? I've looked through NTW's program files and can't find folder by that name, just individual "script" LUA files scattered through out NTW's folders.

It's in the appdata\roaming\the creative assembly\napoleon\scripts and you have to unhide all hidden files and folders in folder options to find it.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

It's in the appdata\roaming\the creative assembly\napoleon\scripts and you have to unhide all hidden files and folders in folder options to find it.
    May i break in in this conversation if you dont mind IrishRon Sir?
    I am also trying to find my script(s) for deletion of them,but the only script that is in my folder is the preference script,theres no other like an user script ?
    And the preference script shouldnt be deleted after instant ctd issues surely? right ? or should i ?

But ive also verified game and deleted all save games ,so in that case,should there be any other script then the pref. script ?

The preferences.script is the one that needs to be edited. It is generated by the game if you delete it. You also want to make it read-only or the game will overwrite it.

The user script is something I am not familiar with and it seems has to be made by the player. You will need to research this one if noone post an explanation or at least a link.

If there are nay other scripts, I am not aware of them.

irishron is right there are no other scripts.

For editing the scripts take a handful of a delicious pineapple (works better with a fruit flavored cake for me), and calmly try to read what's there, its not so complicated as it appears. In there you will find a line depicting every option that you select in game, that's why the game overwrites the file constantly

So after experiencing sudden crashes after starting up NTW(no Mods present atm),i need to verify my gamecache at steam and also(before the verifying?) Delete the contents of my pref script?
    or delete the map as a whole ?

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by MorganH.; March 10, 2010 at 05:55 AM.

yes you can also do the silly walk while you're at it, since there was minister to it

You can verify your game cache anytine you're onilne.

Deleting the scripts folder makes the game generate a new one.

That would be the place to start.

Thank you Sirs

I must say that you technical Mods are very fast and helpfull indeed, so have some reps both as a token of my appreciation!

best regards

Quote Originally Posted by ♔MorganH♔ View Post
    Thank you Sirs

I must say that you technical Mods are very fast and helpfull indeed, so have some reps both as a token of my appreciation!

best regards
    Seconded!

+reps all around