View Poll Results: Easiest Nation to play in Multi-Player

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Britain

    18 50.00%
  • Russia

    6 16.67%
  • France

    8 22.22%
  • Austrians

    1 2.78%
  • Prussians

    2 5.56%
  • United Netherlands

    0 0%
  • Portugal

    1 2.78%
  • Ottoman Empire

    0 0%
  • Denmark

    0 0%
  • Spain

    0 0%
  • Sweden

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Easiest Nation to play as...

  1. #1

    Default Easiest Nation to play as...

    What is the easiest nation to play as because it seems pretty well balanced than ETW. So whats your opinion....

  2. #2

    Default Re: Easiest Na tion to play as...

    England,they are just good at everything and if your losing with them just charge in the highlanders,they are very under priced and rack up the kills in melee.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Easiest Na tion to play as...

    In Multiplayer Russia get a couple of unicorns and ur good fire 1 volley with line only though then get into melee because Russians a better of

  4. #4

    Default Re: Easiest Na tion to play as...

    Well im confused

  5. #5
    Augment's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    1,331

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Russia is the noob campers faction, they just buy bucketloads of Unicorn and fire away.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    England,they are just good at everything and if your losing with them just charge in the highlanders,they are very under priced and rack up the kills in melee.

    English highlanders? Don't think so...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Considering the fact that in my last 20 multiplayer battles I've only fought 2 games that were NOT against Russia, I'm going to have to go with Russia. With 4 20-lb Unicorns naturally, uts the same set up every game. it goes from front lines to back: Jaegar screen, Musketeers, Unicorns, General. Wih some cheap cavalry on the flanks. It NEVER moves either, movement is considered punishable by death in the Russian millitary.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    I am going to say France and what put them slightly over Britain for me was the unique ability of the Old Guard.Just their stats alone make them a beast, and to add to their eliteness, they can inspire and demoralize units at the same time.

    Now on a flatter map, this may not be as much of an issue, but on hilly terrain and especially where there are choke points that force you to concentrate units, they can be devastating.

    The best use for them is to keep them slightly behind your line in reserve, and while keeping them protected, move them near enemy units that are starting to falter. With a well place cav charge, you can easily cause chain rout.

    I'm not one for capping units, but thist unit needs to have some restrictions or raise the cost. They are extremely powerful in the hands of a good player.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    i bring better generals against france just to try and hold moral against those beasts.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre11B View Post
    I am going to say France and what put them slightly over Britain for me was the unique ability of the Old Guard.Just their stats alone make them a beast, and to add to their eliteness, they can inspire and demoralize units at the same time.

    Now on a flatter map, this may not be as much of an issue, but on hilly terrain and especially where there are choke points that force you to concentrate units, they can be devastating.

    The best use for them is to keep them slightly behind your line in reserve, and while keeping them protected, move them near enemy units that are starting to falter. With a well place cav charge, you can easily cause chain rout.

    I'm not one for capping units, but thist unit needs to have some restrictions or raise the cost. They are extremely powerful in the hands of a good player.
    I've started to use the old guard for this reason. They are very nice, but also very expensive. I think you can almost get two light units for the price of one old guard.

  11. #11
    Aanker's Avatar Concordant
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,890

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Regarding Russia...

    I played, essentially, a line-to-line battle with Russia on Grassy Flatlands. It's as close as you can come to balance testing.

    Although the Unicorns proved to be an essential part of my army (reducing the sizes of some tightly packed units to shreds in the most extreme cases), it was greatly balanced by the poor shooting skills of my Russian units.

    As I see it, the only way to counter a Russian player with plenty of Unicorns is to, as soon as possible, move into ranged combat. If you stay idle, and don't engage, you will simply just lose the artillery duel and then be bombarded into submission... Without your units discharging a single volley. In the example previously described, this was exactly the course of events. Had Britain (my enemy) engaged before he had lost some 100 - 200 men, he could easily have outshot my line infantry and steamrolled me all over the map.

    I think that N:TW is, so far, fairly balanced in terms of factions... Although, of course, there are some units that are more or less dubious in terms of their efficiency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

    UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

  12. #12

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    Regarding Russia...

    I played, essentially, a line-to-line battle with Russia on Grassy Flatlands. It's as close as you can come to balance testing.

    Although the Unicorns proved to be an essential part of my army (reducing the sizes of some tightly packed units to shreds in the most extreme cases), it was greatly balanced by the poor shooting skills of my Russian units.

    As I see it, the only way to counter a Russian player with plenty of Unicorns is to, as soon as possible, move into ranged combat. If you stay idle, and don't engage, you will simply just lose the artillery duel and then be bombarded into submission... Without your units discharging a single volley. In the example previously described, this was exactly the course of events. Had Britain (my enemy) engaged before he had lost some 100 - 200 men, he could easily have outshot my line infantry and steamrolled me all over the map.

    I think that N:TW is, so far, fairly balanced in terms of factions... Although, of course, there are some units that are more or less dubious in terms of their efficiency.
    It's not the unicorns themselves that is the problem, its the fact htat they have 440 cav that can beat heavy cav and their unicorns have the targetting shot crap which gives them like 90% accuracy. Also the satellite guided howitzer shells don't help - they aim at ur cav, u run ur cav away and the shells follow ur cav

  13. #13

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post

    As I see it, the only way to counter a Russian player with plenty of Unicorns is to, as soon as possible, move into ranged combat. If you stay idle, and don't engage, you will simply just lose the artillery duel and then be bombarded into submission... Without your units discharging a single volley. In the example previously described, this was exactly the course of events. Had Britain (my enemy) engaged before he had lost some 100 - 200 men, he could easily have outshot my line infantry and steamrolled me all over the map.
    That's some great advice, but I would go as far to say that it's true for any opponent that has artillery superiority. I think the only reason that I hold back from attacking is that I feel like I wasted money taking artillery if I head in straight to attack and leave my artillery far behind me.

    Maybe this is almost a Vegas/gambling mentality, where we logically know that we're playing against the odds, but we think we'll get lucky. We then hold back for a few minutes to allow our artillery to win, but by the time we've reached a point that we give up hope and press forward, we've probably lost much of our offensive capability.

    One match on Amazon Confluence, I took 4 howitzers against my opponent's zero. All he did was press forward and I had very few artillery kills. He completely nullified their death dealing ability by closing. I happened to win that game though, because it did force him to cross all those rivers against my prepared defenses, so there are some pitfalls obviously to rushing.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Quote Originally Posted by aletoledo View Post
    I've started to use the old guard for this reason. They are very nice, but also very expensive. I think you can almost get two light units for the price of one old guard.
    I had one match in the pyramids where I outnumbered my opponent 4 to 1.

    He had 2 line units that were down to less than 30 units, 2 foot arty, and 1 Old Guard that had around 90 men.I had 2 light infantry, 5 line units that were around 50% and 1 that was that was full strength, 1 horse cannon and I had my general.

    Since I had to approach his cannons spread out, he was able to just walk near my units as they turned tail and ran without firing one shot. The only thing that saved me was my general was able to do a suicide charge and a rally at the same time. If I didnt have my general, he could of without any skill, just continued down the line and routed my entire army without firing a single shot.


    The caveat to this story is, I use United Netherlands that have no inspire units except their general.

    I have many stories like this one. This issue is really bad when the opponent starts on advantageous terrain and you are forced to take it from him.

  15. #15
    hannibalic's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago,Il
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    I just fought a 4v4 at dresden using france with one unit of O.G..Two of us crossed the river and attacked. I was having a hard time turning the flank untill the O.G. showed up. Their presence alone was enough. Now my opponent brought up a huge cavalry reserve. I regrouped what was left of my infantry as fast as I could, but none of them had enough men to form square except the guard. Now this was just a cavalry force of dragoons and dragoon guards, but there was a ton of them and they were all fresh. My guard had already fought on both flanks, running from one to the other. The rest of my infantry had just about had it. I put the O.G. in square and some remnants of the young guard inside the square. The rest fell pretty quick, but the O.G. held out against a few charges by the entire cavalry, alowing my ally to retreat back across the river. By the time they routed most of the cavalry force was dead.

  16. #16
    WilliamRedrup's Avatar Laetus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    The Old Guard units are extremely annoying to play against. I was playing someone as Prussia, and thought I had the upper-hand, despite it being a slight lead, but then in come 'the Guard' and literally their morale went to green whereas mine started to waver down to orange. Eventually, I ended up in the red zone and my units routed.

    I didn't understand what had happened until I read about the Old Guard unit and their extreme morale and abilities.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Btw Russians have some good grenadiers as well and their 20lbr indirect artillery will win in any non flat battlefield mainly because of its 550 range, since regular howitzers have 400 range. Thank fully they don't shoot well nor do they have the best heavy cavalry in the game. However on flat terrain 600 cannon batteries with barrage & general inspire, especially the french ones that have increased accurancy will make short work of them. Regular howitzers are a lot cheaper so you can field more than them and in that way out shoot them. Fixed artillery is cheaper and out ranges them so it will coverage a huge area where his artillery will be vulnerable over time, thus restricting his deployment options.

    Anyway I voted Russia to simply because in the many rough terrain feature it gets a distinct advantage over the enemy.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Quote Originally Posted by ccqwert7 View Post
    their unicorns have the targetting shot crap which gives them like 90% accuracy. Also the satellite guided howitzer shells don't help - they aim at ur cav, u run ur cav away and the shells follow ur cav

    This is so true. Howitzers, including unicorns, in this game are too precise. You have two factors that would decrease precision. They include, being an indirect weapon, and air-bursting rounds. The purpose for rounds exploding overhead is to maximize dispersal. By using this, you gain a larger kill radius but lose concentration of firepower.

    In my opinion, increase the area of effect, but decrease damage to all targets affected would balance them out.



    I would also like to see all artillery rate of fire decreased while under fire. I can give a ton of reasons why this would help the game.

  19. #19
    Aanker's Avatar Concordant
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,890

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Well, Olgies aren't easy to shatter, and you (obviously) have to adjust your playstyle to counter them well. I find it rather entertaining, however, that a unit so reknowned for its lethality in reality, is in fact just as lethal in the game.

    So far, I usually have my artillery bombard the Olgies to reduce their numbers to an amount that can be handled. It's not a very good idea to go line-to-line with this particular unit (another reason why one should not play on Grassy Flatlands) while it is completely fresh from spawning. Concentrating artillery fire on the Olgies, instead of enemy artillery, may prove rewarding in the end - as the enemy artillery has wasted its time bombarding your cannon, his Guard units have slowly withered away and will face a numerically superior enemy with equally superior firepower.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

    UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

  20. #20
    hannibalic's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago,Il
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Easiest Nation to play as...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    . I find it rather entertaining, however, that a unit so reknowned for its lethality in reality, is in fact just as lethal in the game.
    ..
    Yeah, it is pretty cool. At first I didn't like that they only gave the one faction a unit that can instill fear, but now I like it, because it reflects reality like you said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •