Thread: French invasion of Southern England - video

Default French invasion of Southern England - video

Hi Guys,
    Just a reminder that I'm still waiting for some enterprising gamer to post the Youtube
    video of Napoleon's invasion of southern England, 1805 complete with French troops
    rowing ashore. Naval bombardment of Dover, french cannon bombarding the Martello
    Towers and of course the British Army holding up Napoleon's troops along the Royal
    Military canal.

http://www.martello-towers.co.uk/nutshell.htm

Default Re: French invasion of Southern England - video

Wellingtons invasion of southern France 1805, the Battle of Aquataine...

Just a little pic...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

What is this?
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Pro-opera Jungian's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Campers View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Just a reminder that I'm still waiting for some enterprising gamer to post the Youtube
    video of Napoleon's invasion of southern England, 1805 complete with French troops
    rowing ashore. Naval bombardment of Dover, french cannon bombarding the Martello
    Towers and of course the British Army holding up Napoleon's troops along the Royal
    Military canal.

http://www.martello-towers.co.uk/nutshell.htm
    Umm, saying that NTW does not have almost all of the features you requested, this may be an impossibility.

Secondly, why can't you just do this?

Hi Guys,
    video of Napoleon's invasion of Alpha Centauri, 2505 complete with French troops
    dropping from orbit. Orbital bombardment of Pegasi II , french ion-cannon bombarding the Martello
    Chain and of course the British-Centauri Army holding up Napoleon's troops along the Royal
    Military Asteroid belt.

Wally's Avatar Semisalis

Interesting! thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-opera Jungian View Post
    Umm, saying that NTW does not have almost all of the features you requested, this may be an impossibility.

Secondly, why can't you just do this?
    Well the feedback certainly confirms one of the short-comings to NTW that was inherrent in ETW,
    namely that you cannot get any decent ship to shore attacks on South East England out of it.
    Of course the Invasion of England is a What if - but their were real life ship to shore attacks in
    the Mediterranean and what about Napoleon's Egyptian campain, surely it must have ship to shore landings their ??
    Its a bit like playing WWII - Total War without the D-Day landings.

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Campers View Post
    Well the feedback certainly confirms one of the short-comings to NTW that was inherrent in ETW,
    namely that you cannot get any decent ship to shore attacks on South East England out of it.
    Of course the Invasion of England is a What if - but their were real life ship to shore attacks in
    the Mediterranean and what about Napoleon's Egyptian campain, surely it must have ship to shore landings their ??
    Its a bit like playing WWII - Total War without the D-Day landings.
    ...okay, I don't really get your point. We've known you can't have supporting ships in a land battle for quite some time now. And considering D-Day was a major historical event in WW II aside from being the largest amphibious invasion in history, while some French troops rowing ashore to Alexandria was not a major event in the same sense, I can't agree with your analogy.

If you're referring to whether or not France will ever invade the UK in the game, then that's a different story.
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

Quote Originally Posted by hitokiri2486 View Post
    ...okay, I don't really get your point. We've known you can't have supporting ships in a land battle for quite some time now. And considering D-Day was a major historical event in WW II aside from being the largest amphibious invasion in history, while some French troops rowing ashore to Alexandria was not a major event in the same sense, I can't agree with your analogy.

If you're referring to whether or not France will ever invade the UK in the game, then that's a different story.
    Does one have to compare what if's to an actual historical event for Napoleon: Total War.
    Lets face it, their are loads of fanciful what if's being played out in Napoleon: Total War, like Prussia conquering the whole of Europe.
    Thats the attraction of NTW & ETW, you can build your own empires.
    So why not a French invasion of South East England when the conditions are right, go for it !!

Anyway you asked for an actual historical event, well heres one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...Tenerife_(1797)

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

There are multiple things in game that make such a thing rather difficult at times for the Player let alone the AI.There is typically the ever present issue of Eastern threats in the form of the seemingly endless coalitions of Prussia,Russia and Austria to contend with,as well as the ever present threat of Nelson and his incomparable fleet patrolling the waters of the channel.Note these things were a very real weight upon the Emperors mind during his wars in Europe,hindering his plans many a time when his mind went toward Britain(Note that he was planning such a thing when distracted by the threat that resulted in the Battle of Austerlitz,causing him to abort the invasion attempt)As for naval landings in general,well,England I must say makes them all of the time,so they are certainly a factor in the game,as for other nations,those that are not land locked historically had little naval presence in this era..

Yes, I know its the French invasion of England thread again. Lol.
    Just thought I'd put it back at the top of the leader board in the hope
    that Kieran from CA will knock up another Napoleon Total War trailor,
    with a tailor made video of the French Imperial Guard wading ashore from
    their invasion barges. Ready to engage the British troops lining the
    Royal Military Canal.
    Come on Kieran - we loved your intro movie of Napoleon's troops setting
    fire to the beached HMS Victory as the Imperial Guard marched ashore.
    What about a classic Napoleon invades Kent, follow up.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Have you even played the game?
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    Have you even played the game?
    Of course but that doesn't stop me from wishing for another classic game trailor
    from Sega/CA featuring a french invasion of England.

Lets call it The Eagle has Landed, Lol.

He doesn't understand how things work. He thinks that if he posts here that he wants Kieran to make a video, it will be made just for him. Just let the thread die. If he keeps bumping it he should be punished.