Thread: Where are the Mortars?

Default Where are the Mortars?

I have reached the end of all research, playing as britain.
    Where are the MORTARS, haven't they been included in the game?
    This is devastating, i've only got Howitzers, Cannons, and stinky Rockets.
    I want some mortars, does anyone know what's happening?

Default Re: Where are the Mortars?

I might be wrong but I think its only the Ottomans that have mortars, all the Western nations just have cannons/howitzers/rockets. I might be wrong though, but I've only ever seen mortars fielded by Ottomans.

Elmar's Avatar Senator

Mortars weren't really a battlefield weapon. They were typically part of a nations siege train and were hauled up to bombard dug in or fortified enemy positions. They were considered too cumbersome to use in another role.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

Just checked 'Le Fusil' and you're right, only the Ottoman's have 'bombard mortars'.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I'm glad they got rid of them, howitzers are basically field mortars that can move.

etw mortars were way overpowered. good that it is out.
    Men are nothing, One Man is everything.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Surely They(Mortars) were used in the battle of copenhagen, when the British relentlessly shelled the city!
    Also Howitzers cannot use solid shot in the game, so if you want to break defences, you have to use cannons, which is irritating and unrealistic, as there would be special seige cannons.

It would be better like in medieval, where you had a chance to build/get special seige equipment once you are besieging a city!
    Last edited by delboy1972; March 07, 2010 at 05:13 AM.

CA, being too lazy and stupid to be able to balacne them, decided to cut them away)

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    - W. Churchill

I think that after seeing how ridicously overpowered they were in E:TW, it was decided to simply scrap them.
    Suum cuique

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhard View Post
    CA, being too lazy and stupid to be able to balacne them, decided to cut them away)
    CA definitely made the right choice by scrapping mortars for the European faction since in real life howitzer were superior compared to mortars in pitched battle applications. Mortars have a fixed angle and the firing distance is determined by the powder load, this is ok for sieges but not practical for open field battles.

Read this if you are actually interested in knowing why.
    howitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
    Mortars weren't really a battlefield weapon. They were typically part of a nations siege train and were hauled up to bombard dug in or fortified enemy positions. They were considered too cumbersome to use in another role.
    Quote Originally Posted by delboy1972 View Post
    Surely They(Mortars) were used in the battle of copenhagen, when the British relentlessly shelled the city!
    Also Howitzers cannot use solid shot in the game, so if you want to break defences, you have to use cannons, which is irritating and unrealistic, as there would be special seige cannons.

It would be better like in medieval, where you had a chance to build/get special seige equipment once you are besieging a city!
    As Elmar states, mortars would probably have been part of the siege train, which is why they would have been part of the battle of copenhagen, they should have just given us their fleet then we wouldnt have had to shell their city.

I seem to remember that on one of the threads on here somewhere somebody stated that they had found references to special siege equipment when besieging cities when they had looked through some fo the files, but that it obviously hadnt been implemented by CA, so we were just left with the crappy sieges that we currently have.