Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [NEW V2] Diggy's Musket Sound Mods (New Sounds, 28 FEB 2011)

Default [NEW V2] Diggy's Musket Sound Mods (New Sounds, 28 FEB 2011)

Diggy's Musket Sound Mods

NEW VERSION 2 Musket sounds.

I have re-released this mod with a new mix of musket sounds to add even more realism to the sounds of battle. At a distance, the sounds will sound like "pops" and muffled thumps. Up close they will be more imposing but will still retain their realistic sounds. Some of the original musket sounds still remain but most have changed. The new sounds came from forum member
    Kaunitz and his efforts in creating his "4 to 1" mod. So please rep him also.

Again these sounds are all from actually muskets being fired during reenactment events. These sounds will not be popular with everyone! If you like loud, booming "Hollywood" sounding guns then you probably won't like these. For everyone else....enjoy!

The original DiggyPoPMuskets sounds are available below if you still prefer them. I often change up my sound mods to keep the game fresh.

DOWNLOAD
    (mod format)

============ARCHIVED MOD FILES============================
    This mod was originally intended for ETW but I have been told it works for NTW as well. This changes ONLY THE MUSKET SOUNDS. It is featured in LockKopf's Ultimate Sound Mod but for those who only want to change their musket sounds to something more realistic. This is your mod

DOWNLOAD

PATCH VERSION DOWNLOAD

These two small mods (choose one) aim to provide ETW and NTW players with new, more realistic musket sounds. Many sound mods for muskets provide very strong, thundering sounds that sound like "hollywood" muskets. If anyone has ever been to a reenactment from this time period you know that musket fire doesn't really sound like this. These two musket mods provide a much more "raw" and realistic sound to the musket sounds in ETW or NTW. If you like loud thunderous musket sounds, then this mod may not be for you. If you like REALISM...this is for you.

Each sound has been altered/edited and mixed by myself in an attempt to create the perfect balance of volume, pitch, bass, treble and echo. The bulk of these sound files were originally featured in GeraldDuval's Realism Soundpack http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252421&highlight=musket. These wonderful sounds were originally recorded by GeraldDuval from real musket and rifle fire of period weapons. This mod would not be possible without his contribution. I have merely edited and mixed the sounds to combine the best of his sounds. Please rep him if you like this mod. (Note: I did seek out GeraldDuval's approval but he has been absent from these boards since November 2009. GD, if you have any issue with this please PM me and I will remove this mod. These sounds are too great not to share further.)

HEAR THE SOUNDS IN ACTION: These musket sounds have been featured in the NTW movie "Debts of Honour" produced by ♔The Nanny♔. See his excellent cinematography with the DiggyPoP musket sounds HERE

There are two files in this mod. Only use ONE AT A TIME.

1. mod_Diggymuskets
    This sound mod gives the muskets a very raw sound with lots of echo. You really get the sense of being out in an open field and hearing the musket sounds echo and carry on. 95% of these sounds come from GeraldDuval's original musket sound mod which he later changed. I'm glad I had downloaded the original version because these are beauties and he later took this version down from the download site.

2. mod_DiggyPoPmuskets
    This mod combines two versions of GeraldDuval's sound mods with extensive editing and tweaking done by me. (My personal favorite) One provided very crisp and realistic musket sound (featured in Diggymuskets, above) and the second more truncated, bassy sound that can be characterized as a "pop." My mod mixes these two distinct sounds together to give what I think is the perfect balance of "pop" and echo.

***3. BONUS! Get GeraldDuval's Artillery Sounds (in patch format) (HERE). They go great with my musket sound mods. (These are NOT my sounds. They were created by TWC forum member GeraldDuval. Please rep him if you enjoy them. I was getting requests for artillery sounds to go with the musket sounds and thought I would let people enjoy this artillery mod as it goes great with Diggy musket sound mods.)***

Installation:
    Place mod file in your NTW "data" folder. Activate by typing name of mod in your userscript file before starting the game.

Credit:
    (The following three TWC members should also be credited/+rep for this mod as it derives all original material from their work.)
    GeraldDuval - See above
    sgt_melin - Several of the sounds in Diggymusket mod include some of sgt_melin's sounds from his Combine Soundmod. I thought some of these sounds fit in well with my mod so I included them.
    crazypeon - This mod uses the "crackling Musketry" method originally developed by crazypeon. This method puts sound delays in some of the files to stagger the sound of an entire rank firing. They will no longer all fire in complete, perfect unison. It gives a much more "human" feel to a volley.
    Last edited by ♔Dignan♔; February 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Diggy's Musket Sound Mods

excellent work.Indeed I find the crackling fire of true live musketry by far more invigorating than the hand held howitzers often times showcased in hollywood films.Thanks so much for this excellent contribution to the community and the immersion of the game and its splendid era!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    excellent work.Indeed I find the crackling fire of true live musketry by far more invigorating than the hand held howitzers often times showcased in hollywood films.Thanks so much for this excellent contribution to the community and the immersion of the game and its splendid era!
    Glad you like them. Thanks for the rep.

Some complain that these sounds are too weak. However, zoom in close to your troops when they fire...they shouldn't sound that weak then. Also, musket fire from a distance doesn't sound very loud anyway. Just adds to the immersion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Dignan♔ View Post
    Glad you like them. Thanks for the rep.

Some complain that these sounds are too weak. However, zoom in close to your troops when they fire...they shouldn't sound that weak then. Also, musket fire from a distance doesn't sound very loud anyway. Just adds to the immersion IMO.

I completely agree.I think they sound suitable at their distance and range.A single musket typically does not have a powerful sound,it is when they are fired en masse that the thunder rolls upon the field.I am using this in conjunction with JaM's realism mod that allows for triple line fire rather than front rank only.These sounds have a tremendous impact when several hundred men let loose a staggered volley!!!Again,I believe you are right,it only adds to immersion,and you are welcome for the rep,it is well deserved

i put the name of the mod in my presfereces.txt and it wont work i also set it to read only cuz i dont have the user scripts thing

Quote Originally Posted by djsnipy View Post
    i put the name of the mod in my presfereces.txt and it wont work i also set it to read only cuz i dont have the user scripts thing
    Everyone should have a userscript file. you might have to create it. Do you have Empire? If so, it should work just the same. If not, create a text document in your scripts folder (same folder where the preferences file is) and name it "user.script.txt" or whatever your user script should say for NTW. I don't have napoleon yet but I'm guessing on what it says. It coudl be something else.

Can someone who has the game comment on this?

After you've done that. Put "mod_DiggyPoPmuskets.patch" or "mod_Diggymuskets.patch" (depending on which one you want to try) in the user script just as I've typed it here. Don't put the quotes. Just the name of the mod. It should work then.
    Last edited by ♔Dignan♔; March 08, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

that is the right user script,but if you use the patch version there is no need to alter the script just download the script version and place it in your Data folder.you will know right off the bat if it is working correctly,there is no mistaking the sound of a real musket

that is the right user script,but if you use the patch version there is no need to alter the script just download the script version and place it in your Data folder.you will know right off the bat if it is working correctly,there is no mistaking the sound of a real musket
    I think my files are only in MOD format. I can upload a patch version if people like.

patch version wuld be nice

keminsky's Avatar Civis

now we just need a compatible version of your work just for cannons!! thanks!

Hey Chevalier, which of the two do you prefer? Cause I want to be accurate in my musket sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Krydon80 View Post
    Hey Chevalier, which of the two do you prefer? Cause I want to be accurate in my musket sounds.
    I very much prefer the Diggy_PopMuskets version.it allows for the perfect mixture of bass and crackle effect that is so distinctive of the firing of muskets of this era.very good and allows for a much more immersive experience upon the field

I very much prefer the Diggy_PopMuskets version.it allows for the perfect mixture of bass and crackle effect that is so distinctive of the firing of muskets of this era.very good and allows for a much more immersive experience upon the field
    This is also my preference. The first sound mod is good too but lacks a little punch I think. But some like it because of the longer echoes. The sounds in the first sound file are actually mostly unedited and therefore even more "raw" or "realistic." But I prefer the "pop" version too.

Keminsky,
    I encourage you to check out GeraldDuval's soundmod in the ETW mod forums. His cannon sounds are excellent. Although I'm not 100% sure, I think the Ultimate Soundmod for NTW includes these cannon sounds.

±: Alvar Nuñez de Sevilla :±'s Avatar Foederatus

Dignan, Sir,
    I am compelled to inform your Good Self that your Popping Musketoons produce the most Splendid Cacophony upon the Field.
    I would be obliged to enhance your Reputation Sir, were I not deficient in that department at present.
    I shall send my footman with a Note of Credit to this effect...

Currently playing as:
    ±: Bavaria :: Napoleon TW

±: United Provinces :: Empire TW
    ±:Infantería de Marina:: ArmA2 [FFAA mod]

Quote Originally Posted by ±: Alvar Nuñez de Sevilla :± View Post
    Dignan, Sir,
    I am compelled to inform your Good Self that your Popping Musketoons produce the most Splendid Cacophony upon the Field.
    I would be obliged to enhance your Reputation Sir, were I not deficient in that department at present.
    I shall send my footman with a Note of Credit to this effect...
    I am pleased that you find these sounds agreeable. Vanilla musket sounds are quite "underwhelming" and some other mods are far too loud. I mixed these sounds using two different sound recordings that GeraldDuval made for ETW. They are from actual musket sounds.

No worries about the reputation. Post on until you reach 50 posts, I believe. Come on back then. Enjoy the sounds.

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

This really is my favourite sound mod for muskets. I don't really like the over-distorted naval gun sounds in some other mods when my dude only has a rifle. This sound mod won't blow your eardrums, and emulates what you hear in real life re-enactments. Great stuff! +rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Nanny View Post
    This really is my favourite sound mod for muskets. I don't really like the over-distorted naval gun sounds in some other mods when my dude only has a rifle. This sound mod won't blow your eardrums, and emulates what you hear in real life re-enactments. Great stuff! +rep
    Thanks Nanny. Glad you like it. Yes, I always thought that some sound mods made the muskets sound like Barrett 50 cal. sniper rifles. They were way too loud. I've tweaked the volume in this mod so that the muskets are loud when zoomed in and up close but when you zoom out, they sound more like small pops....just like in real life.

Senator

Make some video too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciisar View Post
    Make some video too!
    I wish I could. My PC doesn't have the ability to record sound when I make videos. Sorry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast