Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Le FUSIL Unit Guide for Napoleon v1.3

Default Re: Le FUSIL Unit Guide for Napoleon: Total War

Great work. Will certainly be useful for setting up different army combinations and then calculating their odds against other armies / unit types. Thank you very much!
    Suum cuique

'Will you add the regional units? for example swiss regiment for france when you capture Luzern and the Polish regiments, and so on...'

That'd be cool.

is there a way to put these values on a spread sheet? these data would be much more useful on a spreadsheet.
    He who travels in search of knowledge, walks in the path of god. -Muhammad

♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔'s Avatar Wyrd biõ ful ãræd

Very good job sir ! +rep
    Will you be adding in other units as well ? ie, KGL, Brunswicks, Special Units etc

Edit: Out of rep will give some asap

Sir Nicholas Altman's Avatar Campidoctor

Awesome! Also you need the units from Italy and Egypt.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I'll try to answer some of your questions below:

Varying gun ranges?
    Yes, RGS, you bring up a good point. Most ranges for Artillery and Naval Vessels listed in Le FUSIL are for round shot (Ro) or the longest range. Ranges may vary depending on munitions used (e.g., canister, chain, rocket) or gun size (e.g., 6-lber vs 9-lber).

Adding Brackets to design?
    GODzilla, we think along the same lines, LOL. Actually, I had created a full version with brackets for Empire last month. I liked it but never released it. The brackets made the guide look more complicated (intrusive) in appearance and took more space. I think people can get an idea of which units are which by looking at their name or abilities. The headers serve as a quick indicator as to where unit types are proximally located.

Where do you get your stats from?
    The game stats are those taken from unit in Custom Battle on the field or water (not in preview setup). They are the full-tech or ability stats as played in MP, GC, or CB game (sans experience). The GC stats may vary due to undeveloped tech, etcetera as you play the game.

Where are the Pre-Order units?
    The preorder units are not in Le FUSIL because I and most people don’t have them (yet), LOL. If I can't see them I can't put them in. We’ll have to wait until the DLC is on offer. At least the Heroes and Elites made it, yay.

Where are the Region Specific units?
    As this is the first release, I have not included any region-specific units such as the Swiss Infantry. It requires further research and I am still undecided if and how I will present them. (see next comment)

Some comments regarding Le FUSIL and database editors
    Le FUSIL for Napoleon has been designed to be independent from the use of any modding tools or community made database editors. Listing region-based units or additional information would compromise this as I would have to wait on their kind support with every CA update. I prefer to work on my availability and hope to add a "Theatres Page" for special units or something similar in the near future.

It might be a good time mention here that the combined effort of The Vicar, erasmus777, and husserlTW produced the first working data base editor: PFM for Napoleon.

@dmcheat, if you are interested in a table format unit guide, a newcomer Patriot* has just released one for Napoleon called the Versailles, (a welcome addition.)

Thanks everyone
    brandybarrel's BattleAxe and Unit Guide Links:

Shiloh's Avatar Senator

Fantastic brandybarrel...this will come in real handy for my commentary videos...+rep!
    www.totalgettysburg.com
    Take an in-depth look at the Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War. This site is dedicated to education and the conservation of Civil War battlefields.

www.youtube.com/twbattles
    View Total War battle commentary videos on an epic scale.

'Varying gun ranges?'

The main reason I brought this up regarding chain shot is that there are some oddities in there.

For e.g. most vessels have a round shot range of 450 or 500, but generally all have 350 for chain. Or rather at least this might be the obvious assumption after a quick glance, however for some reason (I don't know why...) CA have given the 106 gun first rate and all 3rd rates a reduced chainshot range of 300 whilst the rest (including the heavy first rate, 2nd rate, ironclad, 80 gun SS + ST) have 350.

Obviously there are other differences especially with the exclusive use of carronades, but that's to be expected with their standard shorter range. These differences seem odd though and could not have been predicted by looking at the round shot ranges.

'hope to add a "Theatres Page" for special units or something similar in the near future.'

That would be really great.

Thanks again for this excellent guide.

Nice one man! I liked your ETW Le Fusil too!

Greetings!

Great work, Brandybarrel!
    Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla View Post
    It would be much easier if you'd use some kind of bracket to make the association clear, like in this (crappy ) paint job I just made:
    Agree with this suggestion.
    Or, put a space between the type of units.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandybarrel View Post
    Where are the Pre-Order units?
    The preorder units are not in Le FUSIL because I and most people don’t have them (yet), LOL. If I can't see them I can't put them in. We’ll have to wait until the DLC is on offer. At least the Heroes and Elites made it, yay.
    Which unit stats do you need?

Also, something went goofy with the portuguese flag.
    PS:
    Something went goofy with the portuguese page.
    All factions are represented on individual faction pages, categorized into infantry, cavalry and artillery.
    Portuguese units are scrambled under the spanish units on the same page.
    Last edited by impar; March 08, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
    The recruitment of Militia is illegal.
    Militia-recruiters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the applicable laws.

Quote Originally Posted by impar View Post
    Or, put a space between the type of units.
    Or, put the unit types ("Light Infantry" and such) aligned on the leftmost unit so it marks the start of that group.

Also, any chance to get the building level required to build the unit in there? As a subscript of the price, maybe?
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Thanks for your suggestions and support

@R.G.S., I researched your claim about the inconsistency with the shorter 300 chain shot ranges for the 3rd rates and 106-gun 1st Rate. It appears you may have a point. I do know that the files have two types of chain shot ranges (“regular” and long). It may have been just an oversight with equipping the vessels’ guns. It’s good that you voice your opinion. CA does read the forums.

@Impar, LOL. Portugal did not receive a faction page as they have only a handful of units. It was a design choice to list them with Spain. Thanks for pointing it out though. I’ll put an indicator mentioning that Portugal has only 9 units in the next version.

@daniu, I removed the “Light” etc on the far left indicators since I had to reintroduce artillery onto the faction pages. That meant lumping all the cavalry together into one row. As you know, the top row of infantry are “Light” and the second row are “Line” (main) infantry. They already have the larger headers indicating "Light" and "Line" etcetra so I felt it safe to exclude them. Hmm.

Militias are “place holders” for the guide as they are neither “Light nor “Line” infantry (i.e. garrison troops). Sometimes they will be placed with the “Light” and sometimes with “Line” for design reasons - just in case the comment comes up.

By the way, if anyone wants to see Napoleon in MP action, daniu is posting videos with battle commentary here: YouTube

@daniu, I removed the “Light” etc on the far left indicators since I had to reintroduce artillery onto the faction pages. That meant lumping all the cavalry together into one row. As you know, the top row of infantry are “Light” and the second row are “Line” (main) infantry. They already have the larger headers indicating "Light" and "Line" etcetra so I felt it safe to exclude them.
    Sounds like I didn't express myself clearly enough... what I mean is put the headings like you did the "early/late" era indicators in the ETW FUSIL.
    I did some pics to illustrate; the red cards are light, the blue line inf.
    The way it is now, the "Light" heading is centered over the three units, and without the brackets, it's not clear where start and end are.
    A good example where it gets confusing is the Hussars for Prussia: are they Light or Heavy cav? They're right in the middle between the two.
    If you align these headings on the leftmost unit (pic two), it's clear that the "Light" units go up to the next heading ("Line", in this case).

Thanks for the YouTube shoutout
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

@ daniu, thanks for taking the time to make the images. I see what you mean with the “early” or “late” from ETW version. Actually, I am aware of the ambiguity. I was concerned with the symmetry with the center line down the page and didn’t want headers all over the place. I was thinking the headers would indicate that certain unit types are “skewed” to the left or to the right. For example, light cavalry are to the left and heavy to the right as a “general” locator not indicator.

Hmm, I’m going to review the labeling and perhaps put below the unit card on the starting far left “Light >” “Line >”, “Militia” etc as in “early” and “late” in ETW for clarity. Thanks again.

I forgot to give a shout out to Swiss Halberdier and his new Additional Units Mod (AUM-NAP) for Napoleon .

Cheers,

Last edited by brandybarrel; March 08, 2010 at 10:37 AM.

Greetings!
    @Impar, LOL. Portugal did not receive a faction page as they have only a handful of units. It was a design choice to list them with Spain.
    The recruitment of Militia is illegal.
    Militia-recruiters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the applicable laws.

Can someone please link me to the Empire one if there is one thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Player2 View Post
    Can someone please link me to the Empire one if there is one thank you.
    Yes, we can.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

thanks alot this one helped heaps

Nice one, again. This guide is very helpfull. Excelent work!
    "When your opponent fears you, then's the moment when you give the fear its own rein, give it the time to work on him. Let it become terror. The terrified man fights himself. Eventually, he attacks in desperation. That is the most dangerous moment, but the terrified man can be trusted usually to make a fatal mistake."

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Will the polish french line infantry be included?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast